www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 12th, 2019, 06:36   #16
thundershorts
Veteran Member

The pump sound changed on mine as it was failing, became louder. The new pump was very quiet, almost inaudible with seat in place instead of the the noticeable hum.
Old August 12th, 2019, 09:43   #17
USMCFieldMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
Most likely boost related limp mode, best to hook up a vcds cable and investigate.
This is what mine has shown.

- - -

This has happened to me a handful of times. It's typically within 5 minutes of starting the car as I'm getting on the highway. I just cycle the key OFF-ON and it goes away.

I did read it with a VCDS once and I only showed a pending code related to boost pressure; no active code.

My thought on it has been that the turbo is cold and therefore takes longer to spool, but once the exhaust pressure builds up enough to get it moving, it spikes hard. Cold turbo boost gain having more of a exponential gain (right graph below) which is harder to control at its peak, versus a hot turbo which has more of a logarithmic gain (left graph). I haven't logged it to confirm, but this is just my educated guess as a mechanical engineer.

1986 Volkswagen GTI - 12v VR6

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; August 12th, 2019 at 09:49.
USMCFieldMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 11:46   #18
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNDIVER View Post
And what is the car doing now? What was issue?

The car has been working fine every since they finally fixed the issue. I did just get a CEL come on, but they are going to replace my adblue tank via the warranty. This has nothing to do with my original problem you are now having.

As far as I know it was a wiring issue coming from one of the dpf sensors that burnt on my hood. Originally they only went about 12Ē from the sensors, but after more time their they dig down farther and found the issue.

Iím not sure if itís any help, but you could have your tech call David Maus VW in south Orlando. The rep that deals with warranty stuff is named Michael (Mike). He should have knowledge of the issue.

Everything you are saying is the same issues I had, and it took around 6 weeks for them to finally find and fix the issue. They actually had to fly someone in from VWoA to find/fix it.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 04:43   #19
thundershorts
Veteran Member

kjndiver, your problem I think is different from Ixnay in the fact you haven't mentioned any burnt wires or sensors.
Old August 15th, 2019, 19:08   #20
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundershorts View Post
kjndiver, your problem I think is different from Ixnay in the fact you haven't mentioned any burnt wires or sensors.

I didn't have any burnt wires or sensors either at first. I didn't have burnt sensors till after they changed them.
Old August 18th, 2019, 08:31   #21
KJNDIVER

Ok, as mentioned previously, I brought to VW on a Friday , by Tuesday I was dropping the car off to them as it was doing this every time I accelerated. I had to really feather the pedal to get going without it going into limp mode and throwing a light/code. Always the same P0087. Got a call on Thursday saying they now think it's the HPFP. Even though he had inspected and didn't see any metal just days before, now he says that he does see metal shavings . They've got a case opened with VW and I should hear back this week. He said it was strange in that this is the first time that he has seen someone still be able to drive it for as long as I did, he said it's usually one of those failures that happens and leaves you stranded as soon as it appears and doesn't go for weeks at a time. We shall see....
KJNDIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 10:30   #22
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok, as mentioned previously, I brought to VW on a Friday , by Tuesday I was dropping the car off to them as it was doing this every time I accelerated. I had to really feather the pedal to get going without it going into limp mode and throwing a light/code. Always the same P0087. Got a call on Thursday saying they now think it's the HPFP. Even though he had inspected and didn't see any metal just days before, now he says that he does see metal shavings . They've got a case opened with VW and I should hear back this week. He said it was strange in that this is the first time that he has seen someone still be able to drive it for as long as I did, he said it's usually one of those failures that happens and leaves you stranded as soon as it appears and doesn't go for weeks at a time. We shall see....
I hope that fixes it, but I doubt it. They said the same thing to me at first and the new HPFP didnít do anything. They even changed the fuel filter and flushed my diesel tank.

I still say itís an electrical issue coming from the dpf sensors like I had.
Old August 19th, 2019, 05:01   #23
thundershorts
Veteran Member

If they found metal shavings in the fuel filter, it probably is from the in tank pump starting to destroy itself, not from the hpfp. Its one item that throws no codes itself, the sensors all do.
Old August 24th, 2019, 05:32   #24
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Any update?
Old August 25th, 2019, 04:39   #25
thundershorts
Veteran Member

When VW does the full monty hpfp change it involves cleaning the fuel tank as well...but nothing about changing the lift pump.
Old August 30th, 2019, 14:59   #26
KJNDIVER

Okay, here goes an update...
  • Dropped car off on Tuesday the 13th....got a call on Thursday 15th stating the hpfp as in previous post. Said it should take a week.
  • The following week I didnt sweat it and allowed them to contact me. Finally on Thursday 22nd they called and said that its all approved and that still working but getting close and should be done sometime after lunch on Friday the 23rd.
  • Get a call on Friday the 23rd about 1pm, said that all work is complete except for flushing the tank and that they were waiting on a pump so they could do this. Then he said that the pump he was waiting on comes from Tractor Supply and that it wouldnt be in until Monday. *** you say? VW is beholden to Tractor Supply to perform work? What makes it worse is that you could throw a rock and hit tractor supply from their lot.
  • Monday the 26th comes and goes without communication. Tuesday...Wednesday...Thursday...so I call today, Friday the 30th. Now theyre telling me that the cam timing sprocket is damaged and has jumped time, which caused a bent valve, which requires a head replacement. ***? Claims previous owner must have damaged the sprocket before and that they just missed it with the CPO Inspection. Says that the sprocket "slips". I asked how i was able to drive the car with a slipping sprocket? Said that because it was "in time" it wasnt an issue, but now it is out of time and slipping. I asked well dont you lock that stuff down so that it doesnt get out of time? Thats the whole point of locking it down (I havent performed this job, but from what ive read it all has to be locked in place so as NOT to lose timing). He claims they did but that it was still the previous owners fault. Hell, when i bought the car it only had 57k, there shouldnt have been a need for previous owner to even mess with timing. The belt isnt long way from replacement at 130k. Also claims that he found all of this out just 5 minutes before i called. Said it will take another week or so to order parts needed and complete the work. They will have had my car almost a month before i get it back.
  • I think they are lieing to me and that they messed up and wont admit it. Hey, you mess up, own up to it, it happens, tell me the truth and ill be ok. But this isnt the first time they lied to me. They lied to me when i bought the car as they failed to inform me it was sent off site to get "touch up paint". That there was nothing wrong with the car, just touch up. Then it was a bumper replacement and would take a week to order. And that the body shop didnt work on Good Friday holiday and the following Monday after Easter. I went to the body shop and saw the car and talked to owner. He said that it appeared that either someone had backed into a pole or the car got dinged in parking lot. Required bumper replacement and body straightening of the rear quarter panel and repainting practically the whole rear of the car. I asked and he said that they worked both Good Friday and the Monday after Easter.
  • So this dealer has lied to me from day one on just about everything. I dont trust them one bit at this point, next closest dealer is 100 miles east or west of me.
  • This whole ordeal is leaving a bad taste in my mouth because 1. I thought VW had a better product than this. 2. Dealer lies to customer. 3. I get it, things happen, own up to it, tell me about it. But when i put 8500 miles on a car, then im told that the cam sprocket is slipping from previous owner damage, and the only thing happen bewteeen then and now is the dealer shop "locks" the timing so they can work on it and then its out of time.....I dont buy it.
  • Im contemplating demanding a new engine at this point.
  • Unless its something MAJOR like this again, I will NEVER bring this car back to Lake Charles VW ever again.
  • Stay tuned for final results....
Old August 31st, 2019, 07:02   #27
c3kTDi

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Contact VWoA and elevate this above your dealer.
c3kTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 07:43   #28
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

Quote:
[*]This whole ordeal is leaving a bad taste in my mouth because 1. I thought VW had a better product than this. 2. Dealer lies to customer. 3. I get it, things happen, own up to it, tell me about it. But when i put 8500 miles on a car, then im told that the cam sprocket is slipping from previous owner damage, and the only thing happen bewteeen then and now is the dealer shop "locks" the timing so they can work on it and then its out of time.....I dont buy it.
Wow...

I dont even know how to respond. You are just having a **** time with this dealer. It SHOULD NOT be this difficult or take this long to get your problems solved. But I'm just stating the obvious there.

I would like to comment on just the little snippet above. Believe me, I can understand the bad taste you are experiencing, but the problems you are experiencing are not due to a "bad vw product". It is due to a bad vw dealer which Vw has very little control over. You NEED to report your experiences to Vw Customer Care to make sure Vw addresses this dealer. They blatantly lied to you multiple times (Slipping cam gear? What the F??). They damaged your vehicle. Tell them EVERYTHING.

Hopefully, once you get this solved you will see the cars as built by Vw are great little cars.
Old September 11th, 2019, 18:37   #29
KJNDIVER

This dealer is the WORST. Since this last post I have been told multiple times that my car will be ready either tomorrow or in a few days only to STILL NOT HAVE THE CAR. Each time its something different. The excuse now is they sent the wrong parts and the correct one is back ordered. Aug 13 - Sept 11 and still no car, only excuses and lies. I have made contact with VWoA to voice my displeasure. Still waiting.....
Old September 12th, 2019, 05:01   #30
740GLE
Veteran Member

that just stinks all over, best of luck with VWoA, usually they are in bed with the dealer but it's kinda the only option at this point.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote