www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old September 10th, 2019, 05:47   #5026
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

A recall / software update on my ELR made the AC blow much colder... before it would only do 3kw of cooling for the cabin, with another 2 available when it also needed battery cooling. Now it will do 4kw for the cabin, and it blows cold quickly after heat soaking the car in the sun

That's a good point about the ICE adding more cooling load to the AC system.

The best AC I've ever experienced was in our roomates past '12 Nissan Leaf. That thing would blow 42*F air out the vents on a 100*f, 90%RH day... water pouring out of the evap drain, and all the windows would fog on the outside! The AC in our Passat was good... but it wasn't that good!

-J
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 12:08   #5027
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
A recall / software update on my ELR made the AC blow much colder... before it would only do 3kw of cooling for the cabin, with another 2 available when it also needed battery cooling. Now it will do 4kw for the cabin, and it blows cold quickly after heat soaking the car in the sun

That's a good point about the ICE adding more cooling load to the AC system.

The best AC I've ever experienced was in our roomates past '12 Nissan Leaf. That thing would blow 42*F air out the vents on a 100*f, 90%RH day... water pouring out of the evap drain, and all the windows would fog on the outside! The AC in our Passat was good... but it wasn't that good!

-J
The A/C in my Jettas sucked big time. The A/C in every car I've owned since just blew them away.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 03:57   #5028
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You guys must have had some REALLY poorly maintained cars.

This is my nearly 1/4 million mile stray rescue project, a VERY neglected 2001 2.0L Jetta.

It has no problems providing a cool cabin:

It was 92F when that pic was taken, sitting at a stop light, and as always eastern Missouri's humidity is super high. And this is a car that has had MAJOR neglect. So you know the evap core is nasty filthy dirty (the cabin filter I pulled out looked like it had been in there for a decade, and was half folded in on itself). Surely lots of debris built up between the condenser and radiator, as is normal, and the condenser fins themselves are not all that great. Yet, it still manages to do its job perfectly fine, all these years and miles later.

*shrug*

BTW, I actually, as normal, had to move the temp knob UP after I took this pic... I had turned it DOWN just to show how cold a normal A4 platform Volkswagen's A/C gets. It was simply TOO cold in the cabin to keep it that way. And I HATE the heat, I'm old, fat, and work in sweaty conditions all day... so my ride home MUST be cool and comfortable, and even I cannot tolerate the A/C in this car left running full cold the entire ~1 hour drive home, LOL.

As I said early, industry standard is "just above" freezing at the coldest part of the system, where the pressure drop happens. Any colder, and the system will freeze the evap core into a block of ice. So a ~45F temp at the duct is pretty normal, some cars seem to get there a little quicker than others, and some have better airflow than others which of course makes the system do its job faster and easier.

Last edited by oilhammer; September 11th, 2019 at 04:02.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:40   #5029
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Yeah the AC in my 2015 GSW takes forever to cool the car down..but once it is cooled down does pretty well at keeping me comfortable.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 06:04   #5030
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Both my Jettas, 2006 and 2009, were purchased new and the A/C sucked from the beginning. When I brought them in for warranty work, I would have the dealer check the A/C and was told "normal". One time, I had a chance to talk to a tech about it and he told me it was a common complaint and then he shrugged his shoulders. It got to the point that when I had passengers, I would use my Buick Century so I wouldn't have to hear the complaints, "Could you turn the A/C on?""It is on". It was that bad.
Old September 11th, 2019, 07:49   #5031
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Sucks to be you, sorry for your misfortune. Glad you are (I hope?) happy now.

Not all of us have had your problems, although the RCVs in the later cars' compressors are a common but easily fixed item.

I have a theory that much of the "swarf" or whatever they call it, from the manufacturing process, gets caught up in the RCVs and their little screens, but it is a one-and-done affair. So after the original RCV gets replaced, they are unlikely to ever need another one, and in many cases I have found they needed one relatively early on. Like in the 30k mile range, but those same cars continue to have excellent A/C performance 150k miles later.

Thankfully, Volkswagen finally released a TSB for this (not that the dealers necessarily know about it).

Last edited by oilhammer; September 11th, 2019 at 08:10.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 09:14   #5032
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Both those cars had voodoo, so hopefully they were turned into cubes and shipped to Japan, where they in their second lives, were turned into Prii for penance.
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:08   #5033
jmodge
Veteran Member

17 electric school buses purchased by state of Michigan for various school districts. Partially funded by Volkswagen emissions scandal revenue
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:17   #5034
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
17 electric school buses purchased by state of Michigan for various school districts. Partially funded by Volkswagen emissions scandal revenue
That's got to be one of the best possible uses for VW's blood money.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:45   #5035
jmodge
Veteran Member

I think electric vehicles have a future in public transportation such as this, buses, and ride shares. If R&D costs can be recouped through these uses the manufacturing costs and final prices for general public vehicle purchases can be lessened, hopefully.
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:47   #5036
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
That's got to be one of the best possible uses for VW's blood money.
No doubt. It will be interesting to see how this develops
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:16   #5037
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
I think electric vehicles have a future in public transportation such as this, buses, and ride shares. If R&D costs can be recouped through these uses the manufacturing costs and final prices for general public vehicle purchases can be lessened, hopefully.
Agree. Much better chance for EVs to flourish in the public transportation sector in the US vs private individuals buying electric SUVs and pickup trucks in large numbers for $55,000 a piece or more!

In my opinion the window for electrical trains for city transportation in the US is almost closed or already closed so might as well look at electrical buses and so forth :-(
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:25   #5038
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid View Post
And the current samples being used to compare ice from the last ~45 years that outnumber ev's what...500,000,000 to one.....in no way with the widely used today of anti rupture fuel cell integrated into auto class vehiles over that ~45 years....
In Colorado ice's outnumber electrics, what 1,000 to 1.....ice"s on a daily basis being driven across terrain an ev will NEVER see during it's driving life...
..these stats are as irrelevant as the cooked up dishonest speed limit increasre data put out in the same dishonest way the AAA lumps all roads , 95-98% of their claimed increased carnage coming from roads & streets that never have, never will see any speed or posted limit increase!..
..lies in how & where data is collected to be used to tell lies one group of or the other hides a lot of dishonesty used to make the point they are with untruthful data, cooked up data being used in a way trying to make....true or not....a groups point...
..how is that a valid comparrison in any way....
As my mother told me:
There's lies, there's damn lies, and then there's statistics. I can use statistics to create just about any outcome you want me to. It all depends on the sampling basis I use. Just tell me what your conclusion is and I'll create the data to back it up. Even easier these days with the wealth of misinformation on the internet.
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:54   #5039
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Just tell me what your conclusion is and I'll create the data to back it up.
You could easily recoup all the taxes you have ever paid by pimping yourself to the government with that philosophy.
Old September 12th, 2019, 08:02   #5040
jmodge
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Agree. Much better chance for EVs to flourish in the public transportation sector in the US vs private individuals buying electric SUVs and pickup trucks in large numbers for $55,000 a piece or more!

In my opinion the window for electrical trains for city transportation in the US is almost closed or already closed so might as well look at electrical buses and so forth :-(
The roads and highways are already there. The share ride parking lots would make good portages, but no reason for people to give up their vehicles yet. Although next time the auto industry needs to be bailed out, government might say no can do, we took too much cream off the top also.