Is injection timing Adjust required TBelt change?

TOM69Z

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi
Is it possible to remove timing belt, tensioner and rollers, install New parts and belt WITHOUT having to adjust injector timing? IS THERE ENOUGH PLAY in the tensioner to get the belt on and not have to remove the camshaft and injector pump sprockets? (Hence avoiding the back and forth injection timing with vag com). My apologies in advance if this is covered somewhere else, I just didn't have the time to look through all the threads.

My car - 2002 Jetta tdi, manual, 106k.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Plenty written on this.

Sorry, didn't have enough time to answer. Not all that important to ME.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to do the job correctly, and if you do, the timing will be pretty close. Sometimes they need a final fine tuning, but I would say almost half of the time I get them landed good and do not need to adjust them afterwards.

You cannot tension the belt properly without having the cam and pump sprockets loose. Volkswagen knew this was a critical thing, which is why they made it pretty much fool proof and easy to install and tension the belt, so long as you use the correct tools and procedure.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
When your question gets asked in that way, and it has been asked many times...

*paraphrasing*

"I've skimmed the TDI VE belt replacement procedure, or I haven't even skimmed it - it looks complicated, and I'm looking for shortcuts. Can I skip *insert part of procedure or insert certain tool(s) here*?"

The answer is always no... If you want the belt replacement to work properly, get the correct fuel economy, and last through to the next replacement interval without issues such as valves kissing pistons and damaging the engine.

So... the answer is No. Re-read the procedure and ask any other questions you may have.

TOM69Z

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi
I did read other threads, thanks for the confirmation.

It's Black with grey leather interior
nice looking car but I wish it had
the multi informational display which it does not.

Diesel here is $3.45/gal we shall
see how much it saves in fuel vs my truck.

Thanks again.

TOM69Z

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi
I got a price of $1000 for the entire timing belt job including parts from one of the recommended installers on this website - MAS imports.
I decided that since this job is going to be once and done for me I will just pay them to do it and it'll be done the next day. I don't see myself having the car longer than 220,000 Miles anyway. Maybe longer but that's depending on what other issues it has between now and then. Thanks again for the information

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The static injector timing adjustment is one of the least critical steps in the entire TB/components procedure. Things can go very wrong when the proper sequence(s) and steps aren't followed or by those looking for shortcuts. IF the job was done correctly previously and currently, the timing should be in the relative "window". Often the VCDS timing step is just a "check", not an adjustment.
Good decision to replace the TB components since there is no definitive record. Especially since it may be well overdue, not just miles but age/time wise also.