Priming fuel line on MK5 (2006)

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
I thought I would start a new thread, as I'm looking for help on how to prime the fuel system. I had a prior thread that I worked through a change to the Fuel filter canister. I was able to get that changed out, and my car ran for about 20-30 seconds, and then sputtered out. I have a VCDS, and I use the that to turn the pump on and off. It was under Engine/Basic Settings/Group 035. I have tried that for 30 second intervals for about 7-8 times. I am still not able to have it crank over. Any other thoughts on how to solve the problem. So on a side note, I did have to switch from a my original fuel filter canister to the only one they sell for the 2006 PD motor. It is a little different, but I guess that would not matter. The 4 ports on the top of the canister lines up exactly to the 4 hoses. I'm just trying to think of anything else that could cause me not to start up, besides possible air in the system.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
So finally I had success in getting it started. I was able to get in about 4-5 ounces more of fuel into the canister. I then ran the basic-settings again, about 4-5 more times. Then I noticed that when I let the crank continue, it started to sputter. I did the fuel pump on again a few more times, and then I let it crank for about 15-20 seconds, and it finally started running. I was running out of time, and was ready to have it towed to a local shop for further diagnosis. Crisis averted!!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Happy to see this.

thanks for the update!