Resalability after fix

thrab

TDI
2010 Golf
Did a cursory search and only found this: forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=484823

I am currently waiting on a new vehicle that is back ordered. Probably receive mine in March-April. My 2010 Golf TDI has 105,000 miles and the offer for the VW buyback is about $11,000 estimated on their website. Vehicle is in pristine condition.

I don't really want to mess around with acquiring another car in the interim as I wait for my new vehicle. The DPF replacement is coming up on my mileage. If I get the "fix" done my understanding is that the DPF will simply replaced under the new post-fix emissions warranty. Should I do that, I've opted for the fix, then I will need to sell the car privately.

How much do we think this will hurt the salability of the vehicle? I am more concerned about moving it for a decent price, not looking to get as much as I would have the buyback. Will it be a major impediment to selling the car at any price?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What "DPF replacement is coming up on my mileage"??

There is no scheduled replacement interval for the DPF. There is an "expected lifetime" ... but that doesn't mean it fails the day after that expected lifetime is reached ... and for that matter, it doesn't guarantee that it doesn't fail before that expected lifetime is reached, either. It is a statistical expectation.

If you are not having any actual issues with the car then I wouldn't mess with getting the fix done then trying to resell the car. "Bird in hand is worth two in the bush" - File for buyback, get the paperwork all done, then when it comes time to set the buyback date, just hold off until you know when your replacement vehicle is showing up. Then set the date. Done deal with minimal risk. You only have to keep your vehicle going another 3 months.

thrab

TDI
2010 Golf
I understand DPF expectancy is statistical. Some people already have to replace it by my current mileage. For those that have gone through it, how will the check engine light being on for the DPF affect the buyback? Do they knock money off? Not care?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Doesn't matter. The instrument cluster could be lit up like a Christmas tree with all gauges either off or buried in the red or flashing, as long as the engine can barely manage to sputter and cough and stumble to life.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
$11k? Are you subtracting out the restitution payment?

2010 Golf 2dr 105k est is $15k - base. No auto trans or other options.
https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/
If you get the fix, I doubt that you can sell your car for $8k, let alone $10k. It will be 8 years old and have well over 100k miles.

Do the buyback. Don't touch the DPF. It only has to make it a few more months.

thrab

TDI
2010 Golf
$11k? Are you subtracting out the restitution payment?

2010 Golf 2dr 105k est is $15k - base. No auto trans or other options.
https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/
If you get the fix, I doubt that you can sell your car for $8k, let alone $10k. It will be 8 years old and have well over 100k miles.

Do the buyback. Don't touch the DPF. It only has to make it a few more months.
The $11,000 is for the car itself not including the additional restitution. This is the estimate that Volkswagen's own website yielded after I filled out my information.

My question wasn't so much age/mileage related as it was "Does anyone buy fixed gen 1 TDIs at all at any price or not touch them like they have an STD?".

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
What "DPF replacement is coming up on my mileage"??

There is no scheduled replacement interval for the DPF.
He might be thinking of the phase 2 fix during which if the vehicle is over 70K miles it will receive a new DPF/cat or scheduled for comeback if under 70K. At least that's what the paperwork in my 2015 stated.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Perhaps, but that is only for the generation 3 models (model year 2015 only). The vehicle in question is a gen 1, for which the applicable fix is a one-shot one-time deal.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
The $11,000 is for the car itself not including the additional restitution. This is the estimate that Volkswagen's own website yielded after I filled out my information.
My question wasn't so much age/mileage related as it was "Does anyone buy fixed gen 1 TDIs at all at any price or not touch them like they have an STD?".
I wouldn't buy a fixed 2010, certainly not for anywhere near what they are going to give me for mine (or what you are quoting you will get for yours).

I did a quick search on CarGurus and did not see any 2010 Golf TDIs Nationwide for sale, and only two 2011s that are both asking for less than you are quoted for the buyback. I would venture you will be leaving money on the table if you try to sell the car yourself.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
And $11,000 for a 2010 with 105,000 miles seems like a very low buyback amount. I had a 2010 Jetta with 82,500 miles and got well over $18,000 on buyback. Something doesn't seem right there.

Also, buyback values include the full restitution value along with the fair trade in value combined (buyback never excludes the restitution component).