2006 BRM Vacuum Issue

bmart

TDI
2006 vw new beetle tdi
So here it goes. I bought a 2006 Jetta off a "friend" that was supposed to have a brand new center housing on the turbo and run really well. It had the colt cam, timing belt, etc installed around 40k miles ago. He delivered it and we drove it 15 or 20 miles with no issues so I took it. It's sat for about a week and I went to drive it and went into limp mode and threw a p0299 and p0102 code. I started messing with it and there was no vacuum line hooked to the nipple coming off the pump. I figured it had just come off. When I hooked that up, it won't move hardly. Smoke dumps out the exhaust. Give it a vacuum leak again and it runs good again till limp mode. I changed the n75 valve (it was bad). The vanes are staying fully open. I'm wondering what can cause this? I checked pulse that tells the turbo how to move. If I ground it with a probe, it adjust the actuator rod to where I believe it needs to be. Could this be a computer issue? Or has anyone had this kind of issue? The lines are routed correctly according to vacuum diagrams. Any help would be great!

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
Just spit-balling ideas from experience: If you have a vacuum hand pump, try connecting that to the nipple on the actuator and see if you can get it to hold a vacuum. The diaphragm on these things wear out and finding a replacement actuator is almost impossible and painstakingly difficult to change if you do. There is a quick and dirty DIY to fix the diaphragm by plugging it with silicone but as i'm finding out, that's not a long term fix. The only long term/correct fix I've come across would be to buy a whole new turbo/manifold with the actuator as a complete unit.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
So here it goes. I bought a 2006 Jetta off a "friend" that was supposed to have a brand new center housing on the turbo and run really well. It had the colt cam, timing belt, etc installed around 40k miles ago. He delivered it and we drove it 15 or 20 miles with no issues so I took it. It's sat for about a week and I went to drive it and went into limp mode and threw a p0299 and p0102 code. I started messing with it and there was no vacuum line hooked to the nipple coming off the pump. I figured it had just come off. When I hooked that up, it won't move hardly. Smoke dumps out the exhaust. Give it a vacuum leak again and it runs good again till limp mode. I changed the n75 valve (it was bad). The vanes are staying fully open. I'm wondering what can cause this? I checked pulse that tells the turbo how to move. If I ground it with a probe, it adjust the actuator rod to where I believe it needs to be. Could this be a computer issue? Or has anyone had this kind of issue? The lines are routed correctly according to vacuum diagrams. Any help would be great!
Not sure what a brand new center housing on the Turbo? Sounds like someone tried to rebuild the turbo and may have messed up the VNT? I would try to find out what was done with the turbo first.

bmart

TDI
2006 vw new beetle tdi
Forgot to update on the situation in the case someone else runs into this. It ended up being the injectors. 2/4 injectors were bad. We put another set in, and ran like a top!

fwbkent

TDI
2001 jetta
Forgot to update on the situation in the case someone else runs into this. It ended up being the injectors. 2/4 injectors were bad. We put another set in, and ran like a top!
How did you determine the injectors were the issue ? I ask because I'm chasing a low boost issue on a 05 Beetle.