9th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2016 - January 16 (aka WINTERFEST)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Happy October, everyone! Fall is officially here and it's time to announce our 9th annual (can you believe it's been that long?) Detroit Auto Show get-together! :cool:

WHEN:
This year's GTG date: Saturday, January 16th, 2015 (first public day of the show). Due to the large number of out-of-towners who frequent this event, the GTG will start on Friday evening and conclude with breakfast at The Bomber on Sunday morning.

http://naias.com/ for more information on the auto show.

New this year!
  • Rather than going to the usual Kart 2 Kart indoor go karting facility in Sterling Heights, Michigan, I'm exploring going to JD Racing's all-electric indoor go karting facility in Novi, Michigan. This will be confirmed as the event gets closer (perhaps in November).
  • I'm checking to see if The Wurst Bar in Ypsi is available for a group of 30 for dinner on Friday night.

LODGING:
Once again, we will be staying at the Ypsilanti Marriott. It's a 40 minute drive from the COBO Center, it's a great place to stay, and Ypsi is an awesome town with awesome food (and not far from Ann Arbor).

Hotel pricing and more information about booking will be available soon.

PAST EVENTS:
2015 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=423489
2014 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394477
2013 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=363999
2012 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=337168
2011 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=301041
2010 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=264188
2008 - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199701

WEEKEND ITINERARY:
Times are approximate and may change due to any reason.

Friday, January 15th:
6:00pm - 7:30pm: Meet & Greet @ hotel lobby bar
8:00pm - 10:00pm: Dinner @ TBD in Ypsilanti
10:30pm - midnight: Hang out at hotel, socialize, sleep, etc.

Saturday, January 16th:
7:00am - 8:00am: Breakfast @ The Bomber
9:00am - 1:00pm: Meet @ Cobo Center lobby & auto show
2:00pm - 5:30pm: Go Karting & Pizza @ Kart 2 Kart OR JD Karting - see thread poll
6:30pm - midnight: Hang out at hotel, dinner, Cards Against Humanity, whatever!

Sunday, January 17th:
Brunch @ The Bomber (can't get enough!)
Drive home

Who's in??
  1. VeeDubTDI (VA) ✓
  2. compu_85 (VA) ✓
  3. bhtooefr (OH) ✓
  4. Airwolf (MI) ✓
  5. IndigoBlueWagon ✓
  6. MonsterDog (VA) ✓
  7. MonsterTDI09 (VA) ✓
  8. Sprocket (MI) ✓
  9. Sprockette (MI) ✓
    [*]Higgledy (MD)
    [*]Higgledy Jr. (MD)
    [*]Higgledy nephew
    [*]Higgledy nephew
  10. pparks1 (MI) ✓
  11. Mrs. pparks1 (MI) ✓
  12. pparks1 Jr. (MI) ✓
  13. validius (MI) ✓
  14. BKmetz (IL) ✓
  15. Millere5815 ✓
  16. nickrocks21 ✓
  17. Jetter ✓

Auto show 2016 attendance questionaire - we request that every attendee fill this out: CLICK ME!

Please fill out the above questionnaire if you are attending this GTG. If your name has a check mark (✓) next to it, then you have already done the survey.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm in. Wouldn't miss it!

What happened with the Karts? Did Kart2Kart's equipment fail emissions tests?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm in. Wouldn't miss it!

What happened with the Karts? Did Kart2Kart's equipment fail emissions tests?
LOL no they didn't fail anything. They kind of botched our final race last year by leaving the karts in "governed" mode for most of the race. When we pointed it out, the staff was uncooperative, so I figured we can give the electrics at JD Karting a shot this year. :cool:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Sounds interesting! I'll have to see if I can get some time off...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yesterday I had brunch with a friend whose husband is from Michigan, and she was somewhat surprised when I blurted out "I love Michigan, especially in January!" Well, this GTG is why. It's a great time.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
The Sprockets are in!

Sprockette

Sprocket's wife
TDI
2012 Golf w/Tech Package
Hey, why don't we get check marks? ;)

D'oh, never mind. Keep reading, Alicia...

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I should be there since I missed Fest with the brother and maybe my buddy from last year.

New job has me working a lot and starting to travel some. Also headed out west at the end of January or beginning of February. Going to hold off a bit on survey, etc.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
In!

Dinner idea SUCKS for vegetarians. Matt and I may end up at Sidetracks.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought their menu had a reasonable selection of vegetarian options, but I'm not really a qualified judge of that. If you have an alternate suggestion, I'm all ears.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought their menu had a reasonable selection of vegetarian options, but I'm not really a qualified judge of that. If you have an alternate suggestion, I'm all ears.
Those orders of Tots had best be huge. He won't order salads for dinner, says they don't fill him up. Matt doesn't like Anise and that's a major flavor in the one veg sausage they have. Not a dig on the place. I've never been there, no clue what their food is. But I know he LOVES the black bean burger at Sidetracks.

*shrug*

He's busy today, but you can try calling.

rabid_chihuahua

TDI
'03 Jetta & '14 Wagon
Dinner idea SUCKS for vegetarians. Matt and I may end up at Sidetracks.
I can confirm that the Wurst bar does indeed not suck. The tot portions are not exactly small and the veg chili tots are great. watch those peppers :) I also don't like Anise, but the Chick-Fu sandwich is really tasty. Additionally, any burger option can be had with a Chick-Fu patty.

I asked the staff quite awhile back about the Poutine Tots, and they said they were made with non-beef gravy. I advise re-confirming this just to be safe.

Simply put, I've been to many different veggie joints, and one does not find veggie friendly chili or poutine tots all that often. They are quite a unique treat. I love Sidetracks also, but I'd advise at least giving them a chance sometime over the weekend's visit.

That aside, a little recommendation, I don't know if the Wurst bar is set up to do large groups well. One additional suggestion would be Corner Brewery just a block or two from Sidetracks and Depot Town. Freshly updated kitchen, great beer, and they are owned crunchy friendly types.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I can confirm that the Wurst bar does indeed not suck. The tot portions are not exactly small and the veg chili tots are great. watch those peppers :) I also don't like Anise, but the Chick-Fu sandwich is really tasty. Additionally, any burger option can be had with a Chick-Fu patty.
I asked the staff quite awhile back about the Poutine Tots, and they said they were made with non-beef gravy. I advise re-confirming this just to be safe.
Simply put, I've been to many different veggie joints, and one does not find veggie friendly chili or poutine tots all that often. They are quite a unique treat. I love Sidetracks also, but I'd advise at least giving them a chance sometime over the weekend's visit.
That aside, a little recommendation, I don't know if the Wurst bar is set up to do large groups well. One additional suggestion would be Corner Brewery just a block or two from Sidetracks and Depot Town. Freshly updated kitchen, great beer, and they are owned crunchy friendly types.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to call the Wurst Bar and see what they think about a group of 30 on a Friday night. After looking at their pictures on Yelp, they might not be interested. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

Corner Brewery is a good idea, too. That can be plan B.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
THANK YOU! This is what the eff I needed to hear. REAL EXPERIENCE! The boyfriend spent a good portion of his life in SE MI, and a couple years in Ypsi. We're VERY familiar with and love Corner Brewing.

I do take pause with the "crunchy" comment. I shave my armpits and wear deodorant. I'll even hug you when I meet you (like I do everyone) to prove I don't stink ;);););););););) The boyfriend has never eaten meat. Grew up that way. I refuse to hold that against him and its why both he and I had no idea what the place was.

I look forward to eating at the Wurst Bar. Hopefully their beer, cider, and wine is as good as Sidetracks :)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Would love to attend but my wife has some important work thing that weekend. While checking her schedule we noticed your dates don't seem to match the calendar, Friday is the 15th, Sat 16 and Sun the 17th?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Would love to attend but my wife has some important work thing that weekend. While checking her schedule we noticed your dates don't seem to match the calendar, Friday is the 15th, Sat 16 and Sun the 17th?
Good catch! I missed correcting the dates when I copied the schedule from last year.

rabid_chihuahua

TDI
'03 Jetta & '14 Wagon
I do take pause with the "crunchy" comment. I shave my armpits and wear deodorant. I'll even hug you when I meet you (like I do everyone) to prove I don't stink ;);););););););) The boyfriend has never eaten meat. Grew up that way. I refuse to hold that against him and its why both he and I had no idea what the place was.
No insult or reason to pause was intended with the term "crunchy", especially since it should have been somewhat clear it was coming from a fully seasoned local to Ann Arbor vegetarian. :) I was only trying to imply that Corner Brewery was a veggie friendly establishment.

I also made the mistake of thinking the Wurst Bar wasn't veggie friendly till I stopped in for a beer. If anything, it has taught me to check the menu online as names can be deceiving.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Considering what is going on with VW AUDI PORSCHE are they even going to be represented at this Auto Show?? Just thinking out loud here.....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Considering what is going on with VW AUDI PORSCHE are they even going to be represented at this Auto Show?? Just thinking out loud here.....
They'll be there. They can't afford to not go and lose even more potential sales. Their booth might not be as extravagant as it usually is.

Mr. Pink

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hmm, The wife and I may be there, but that is a long way to plan out since life does happen.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'm going to be coming again this year. My 8 year old son is really getting into cars (mostly the exotic sportscars), and he wants to go to the auto show this year to check out the cars .

So it will probably be the wife and I for dinner on Friday night, and my son and I on Saturday at the auto show.