Timing Belts

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
my 2 cents

Give the guy a break, he was pretty far away from home and I'm sure he didn't want to get going on the interstate doing 80 and find out he didn't have any pad left. He clearly states that he normally uses a local guru.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
Thanks for backing me up dbdubb. You are correct. I havn't developed a relationship with a guru up here in MD yet, though I intend to. Seems I'm going to be up here more than in NC, for a while.:( Almost anyone can do a brake job. I just wanted to ensure that OEM pads were used. I've had a bad experience with aftermarket replacements. The "brake issue" was not the purpose of my post. This is a timing belt thread. I just wanted an answer to my question posed in the last sentence.;)

Last edited:

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
I used ThermoQuiet Semimetallic pads on my 05.5 and they feel just like the OEM pads to me, but a lot less dust. Good initial grab and no noticeable fade with my driving style. Not sure they're that much cheaper than OEM, but I have used them on other vehicles and loved the way they felt and grabbed.

Hurst

Edit: I should note, that is just for the rears. I changed them with 75000 miles, and the OEM pad actually had probably 25-30% left on the thinnest of the 4 pads.

Last edited:

wvoaction

TDI
MK4 BEW, T3 syncro AHU
My mechanic just did my timing belt, but he did something wrong and now I have a dead engine. Since he serviced it, I'm going to insist that he puts a new engine in at no charge. If not, we go to court. I'm pissed about my car being an empty shell of its former glory. The consolation is that I just got a 82 caddy diesel.

Simplified

TDI
2009 2010 Jetta TDI
My mechanic just did my timing belt, but he did something wrong and now I have a dead engine. Since he serviced it, I'm going to insist that he puts a new engine in at no charge. If not, we go to court. I'm pissed about my car being an empty shell of its former glory. The consolation is that I just got a 82 caddy diesel.
Any update?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Damn that sucks. I just did mine last week and if you use the locking tools it's pretty hard to mess up. Oh he won't put a new engine in but you can take your car to someone that knows what they are doing and have him reimburse. They will likely rebuild the top end.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I have done several belts on A-5's at 80-100k. It is my understanding that the interval has been changed by VW to 80k. Why take a chance?

Also I noticed that the poster from Texas paid 975.00 for his replacement. I just did 2 of them this past Friday, 1 A-4 BEW and an A-5 BRM. The overall cost for BOTH was about 975.00. That included 2 liters of G60 and me heli coiling 2 screw holes. How someone can charge that much for something which pays 3.5 hours in the labor guide is beyond comprehension. If you figure 375.00 for the belt kit (they cost 240-250 to your door complete from most vendors here so 375.00 is very generous) that equates to a labor rate of about $170.00 per hour. Is that the going rate in Texas? Do they have a posted rate? I find that not only insane but unethical and a total rip-off.

wvoaction

TDI
MK4 BEW, T3 syncro AHU
Only update I have is that my (former) mechanic's insurance is going to pay up. They are investigating on whether he screwed it up or if there was a faulty part. I have been without my Prius Killer for over a month because of this guy. I'm torn because the insurance company might total it, which is a bummer because I just had a ton of work done to it. Then again, it is a 2001 with a damn O1M tranny, so I could part with it. The red 2000 Jetta in Montreal for sale with all the mods would be a nice rebound vehicle, HA!

A5JETTA

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan 2006 Blue
Near 90K

Looking at different options for timing belt replacement for '06 BRM.

1.Do it myself. I guess I'll need the full kit; tool kit; and manual: total=$460
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_101&products_id=931 - $230
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1414 - $120
http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=518 - $110

2.Find someone to do it near my home (Cookeville,TN). I live in rural southeast where almost no one even knows diesel cars are even made. Don't know any mechanics to work on it, and if I found one, wouldn't know whether to trust they knew what they were doing any more than me. Don't know what it would cost.

3.There are two options in Nashville, 90 miles from my home where I bought the car. Either of these options would be the most expensive. Take it to the Stealer or go to a reputable mechanic for these things; a company called EuroFix; either would cost about $900-$1000.

Any suggestions???

unionamt

TDI
2006 jetta pkg1 DSG
A5-
I just did my timing belt, etc on Friday. I took me about 5 hours with breaks, it was my first one. The only tools you need are the crank lock, and the counterhold to take up slack. It is nice to have the cam lock, because you know it is the right size, although you could probably use a drill bit. I used a drill bit for the serp tensioner. The manual is nice to have, but not a necessity with all of the write ups on how to do it. Myturbodiesel.com has a great one. Figure $350 and a few hours, and you save yourself 500-600.

A5JETTA

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan 2006 Blue
A5-
I just did my timing belt, etc on Friday. I took me about 5 hours with breaks, it was my first one. The only tools you need are the crank lock, and the counterhold to take up slack..
Thanks. I found that right up and saved it to bookmarks. Reading through it, my only concern was building a contraption that fits on the inside of the hood to hoist the motor, while the motor mount is removed. This doesn't seem like something I would be good at building. I've got an hydraulic pump, but he says not to rely on it while under it. Couldn't I back it up with a block or something under the oil pan.
Everything else seems easy enough.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks. I found that right up and saved it to bookmarks. Reading through it, my only concern was building a contraption that fits on the inside of the hood to hoist the motor, while the motor mount is removed. This doesn't seem like something I would be good at building. I've got an hydraulic pump, but he says not to rely on it while under it. Couldn't I back it up with a block or something under the oil pan.
Everything else seems easy enough.
Yup just jack the oil pan, no need for something to hoist the engine with. You will not be under the car for a timing belt change.

wvoaction

TDI
MK4 BEW, T3 syncro AHU
So I just got royally screwed by my mechanic's insurance company. They said that they aren't liable because their investigator concluded that the valve smashed into the piston due to normal wear and tear. He claims there would have been more damage if it was due to the timing belt because it was only 1 valve involved. My TDI has 99K miles on it. Normal wear and tear, are you kidding me?! All I know is that my mechanic had my car for almost 3 month and he forgot to reconnect the intercooler, refill the power steering fluid (after he drained it), and who knows what else he forgot to do. They said to make a claim against the parts manufacturer, but their insurance will likely avoid responsibility as well. How is this right? I know there are plenty of experts out there who probably could call BS on this investigator's conclusion. Any thoughts? Thanks!

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I just got royally screwed by my mechanic's insurance company. They said that they aren't liable because their investigator concluded that the valve smashed into the piston due to normal wear and tear. He claims there would have been more damage if it was due to the timing belt because it was only 1 valve involved. My TDI has 99K miles on it. Normal wear and tear, are you kidding me?! All I know is that my mechanic had my car for almost 3 month and he forgot to reconnect the intercooler, refill the power steering fluid (after he drained it), and who knows what else he forgot to do. They said to make a claim against the parts manufacturer, but their insurance will likely avoid responsibility as well. How is this right? I know there are plenty of experts out there who probably could call BS on this investigator's conclusion. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I'd take it to court. No way it was normal wear and tear. Get another mechanic to back that up. Insurance companies will always find a way to avoid paying, it's how they make their money. Damage all depends on how fast the car was moving at the time.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
All insurance companies will say no at first. You've got to fight for it. Lawer up.

wvoaction

TDI
MK4 BEW, T3 syncro AHU
I'd take it to court. No way it was normal wear and tear. Get another mechanic to back that up. Insurance companies will always find a way to avoid paying, it's how they make their money. Damage all depends on how fast the car was moving at the time.
Oh yeah, I have already contacted a lawyer. I spoke to the mechanic and he is of the mindset that he is free and clear of any wrong doing because some investigator said so. Definitely not wear and tear with so few miles. He drove my car around to his home and back on several occasions with the intercooler not connected after doing the timing belt job. Who knows what was damaged during that time. I bet that's not on in the "investigator's" report. I was going freeway speeds when it died and it was running like crap ever since I got it back from him, which was only a couple of days before...the previous day he reconnected the intercooler. Oops!

wvoaction

TDI
MK4 BEW, T3 syncro AHU
Ok, so I'm taking this guy to court over a bad timing belt job and/or driving it around without the intercooler connected which caused damage, but I still need an engine. Well, I supposed I could get by with a head and have the block sent a machine shop, but that is too involved. I have been looking on here, vwvortex, ebay and craigs. craigs seems to have more to choose from and at lower prices. Forgive my ignorance, but will a golf (2002) or passat (2005) TDI fit in a 2001 Jetta? I have the cursed O1M transmission, but that shouldn't be an issue, should it? I'll try to get a 5pd tranny as well if I can. I also found a rebuilt ALH 1.9 turbo diesel out of a 2003 Jetta. Will that work? I'm assuming any TDI 1999.5 to 2005 (possibly other years) is interchangeable with my 2001, but I welcome thoughts so I don't screw up. Thanks!

jonathantingley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/DSG,2002 Jetta w/ 01m,99 Jetta
The 2002 golf would have the same alh motor as your 2001 jetta. The 2005 passat would be a different motor. The transmission won't be an issue as the blocks are no different between auto/manual. Just keep in mind all of the other parts you need to swap in a 5 speed
You are looking for a 991/2- 03 alh motor.

wvoaction

TDI
MK4 BEW, T3 syncro AHU
The 2002 golf would have the same alh motor as your 2001 jetta. The 2005 passat would be a different motor. The transmission won't be an issue as the blocks are no different between auto/manual. Just keep in mind all of the other parts you need to swap in a 5 speed
You are looking for a 991/2- 03 alh motor.

Thanks! I got a line on a rebuilt real close to my location and pretty cheap. I may have to hold off on the tranny swap. Thanks again for the info!

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
2011 Jetta interval: 130K

Are they making better belts now ? I thought the TDI engine was one of the parts that didn't change in the 2011 sedan face lift ?

ricardotdi

TDI
06 jetta
timing belt replcement cost

I went to a private shop in NJ, work done by a very skilled fellow who knows TDI's, about 1 year ago. He did the timing belt plus serpentine belt, rollers, idler, water pump, coolant, hardware=== parts and labor total, $720.00.

robdog

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 6 Speed Auto DSG
So, are the tools really necessary to change the timing belt? Cant you take the old one off and put new on without moving anything?

Thanks, Rob

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
I do them all the time and I wouldn't dream of doing the job without the proper tools. So if I were you get the tools and do it the proper way or find someone who has the tools to do the job for you. Some of the vendor's here will loan the tools for a small fee and deposit if you don't want to buy the tools.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Robdog - just did my 06 tbelt and I would not have wanted to do it without the tools I rented. It's too precise to guess.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Going for it

I just ordered both the timing belt replacement kit tools and parts from dieselgeeks for my 2006 package 0 Jetta sedan TDI 5-speed manual. I rebuilt my 1979 VW Rabbit and 1979 VW Van many years ago, so this should work for me too. Wish me luck! This car is so wonderful to drive that I almost do not mind the required maintenance.

bdiddy

TDI
98 New Beetle, 97 Passat, 96 passat wagon, 98 jett
I have a 98 new beetle. Just bought it. Has a rebuilt head and new timing belt because the p.o. broke it and the valves hit the pistons. I heard there is now a vw replacement belt that goes 100k miles instead of the 60 or 80k... how do I know which belt was put on my engine?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Get one from Dieselgeek. Even though it is rated to go 100,000 mi., change it at 80,000 to be safe..., or not.