Noisy accessory belt tensioner?

skelly

TDI
2005 Passat

2005 Passat TDI, 118K miles. Just to get this out of the way, I have already replaced the one-way alternator clutch pulley about a year ago. The fairly recent squealing noise seems to be coming from the accessory belt tensioner, but just wanted to check with people here that have much more expertise on these cars if there are other more common issues that might be something to check. OR, since it isn't that expensive, should I just replace it?

Thanks, Skelly

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Take the serpentine off and spin the pulleys by hand. Do you hear any noises, is there any resistance? It quite probably is the tensioner pulley but depending on where the alternator pulley came from (eBay,Amazon) and the manufacturer, that could also be failing again.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
First, spray some water on the belts to rule out a squeaky belt.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
One accessory belt drives the AC. A second belt drives the alternator, cooling fan and the power steering.
I reread his post. I was defining the two belts as Serpentine and accessory, but it does look like he's talking about the serpentine belt.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
They are both accessory belts. Serpentine is just a type of accessory belt.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Both of my passats have needed new bearings in the engine driven cooling fan hub. Easy to feel the play in the fan when you remove the accessory belt.
Yes, common bearing to have start making noise. When mine first went out I thought my turbo was starting to go, but it was this bearing.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
Also try taking the belt off and starting it. If the noise is still there it's prob a bad Balance shaft chain tensioner, if it hasn't been replaced or deleted already.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Just replaced the tensioner on mine for the same reason. Bought the INA one for $50 instead of a VW for $200. INA makes it for VW. In fact the INA one is pretty much the exact same one. You can see where they milled the VW/Audi logos and part number off. On mine it wasn't the bearings. The pivot and strut were the culprit. The noise is gone, and the belt runs much smoother.

skelly

TDI
2005 Passat
Thank you

My apologies for not thanking all of you for your suggestions sooner. 11 out of the last 14 days working 12 hour shifts. As soon as I have a chance to dig into the issue I will update. And, yes I did mean the serpentine belt. Again, thank you.

skelly

TDI
2005 Passat
Accessory belt only drives the AC. Remove it and check if the noise is still present.
Finally got the time to try some the welcomed suggestions posted here. It did turn out to be AC belt tensioner. Thank you johnboy00, also many thanks to all of you.

Skelly