2003 Beetle spare tire/wheel

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Can someone tell me if the wheel size (bolt pattern and offset) for a 2003 Beetle is different than one for a corresponding MKIV Jetta or Golf?

Thanks.

speedy223

Veteran Member
TDI
alh tdi new beetle 98, alh jetta 01, bew golf 04 all 5spds
this probably is of small use to you because i dont have the specs, but i took brand new tires/wheels off an auto 2001 beetle i bought for parts and put them on my 04 golf BEW and the only difference was the golf ran 15 inch rims and i wanted the 16s from the beetle . runs great, no alignment problems or anything like that. loves the extra inch of clearance too.

i also took the stock 16's off my wifes beetle after i bought her nicer rims and put them on my 01 jetta, ran great. again to get rid of the 15s on the jetta.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They can be used interchangeably if you like, but the 15" wheels look sorta goofy on the Beetles.

Beetle Rave wheels look pretty good on the Golfs and Jettas though.

There is no real change in rolling diameter, because the 15" wheels use a taller tire than the 16" wheels do.

Downside to the 16" wheels is you will get a harsher ride (again, less sidewall height), more road noise (they will be slightly wider, so more tread contacting the road) and usually the tires will cost a wee bit more and last a wee bit less... comparing the same model tire in an apples to apples way.

The 16" wheel make the Golf or Jetta handle a bit better at the extremes though. The GTI/GLI cars already came with 16" wheels (but are not the same looking as the Beetle wheels... and for that matter, the higher performance Beetle Turbo S got 17 or 18" wheels).

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thank you both. I'm helping a friend pull together a damaged Beetle TDI and we were discussing (through PM) wheels and what to do since the Beetle needs a few replacements.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
If you were closer, you could have my spare. It is a unused steel wheel/michelin tire combo that came from the factory. I think it is a 16" wheel. It would look great with a hubcap!. Probably cost too much to ship.

I can't use it anymore because my brakes are too big.

I am running 18" snows and 19" summers and yes the ride is quite a bit firmer.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If you were closer, you could have my spare. It is a unused steel wheel/michelin tire combo that came from the factory. I think it is a 16" wheel. It would look great with a hubcap!. Probably cost too much to ship.

I can't use it anymore because my brakes are too big.

I am running 18" snows and 19" summers and yes the ride is quite a bit firmer.
Thanks for the offer. We can find one close by as there are lots of used auto scrap yards around here. :)

09wingates

TDI
2002 Beetle ALH Manual
Where in Tx are you located aja8888? I have an extra spare wheel and tire from a parts beetle that I might be interested in selling if interested.