Golf TDI - MAF and Turbo - black smoke

duckdive

TDI
05 VW Golf TDI, 11 VW Touareg TDI
My 2005 Golf TDI (170k miles) had a P0101 MAF sensor issue that my cheap OBDII reader picked up on (CEL was lit).

I drove with it for a bit, and everything was ok. I finally got around to purchasing a new MAF (after trying to clean), and I installed it the other day.

Upon driving with the new MAF sensor, the car drove poorly. Lack of power, black smoke, surging, no turbo, more black smoke.

I checked the OBD, and now I'm getting the P0101 and P0299 (turbo underboost).

I decided to put my old MAF back in. Same driving, though I only went around the block cause I didn't want to do any damage.

Looking for advice. I am ok taking it to a shop, but I don't really want to drive it like this. Is there anything that I can reset? Or something I should check to get it back to before the swap?

Are there any other parts that a novice can install that might help?

duckdive

TDI
Oh, and the other thing that was weird is when I'm driving it sounds like air is being sucked in from the cabin when I press to accelerate... I might be mistaken, but there was definitely some kind of air noise.

duckdive

TDI
So crazy that changing the MAF... then the problem immediately appeared.
I'll clean/check the connection and check into the Wiki.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
definately sounds like one of your boost hoses popped off.
Check the hoses going in and out of the intercooler and the one going into your intake at the egr.
Usually you will have a greasy, grimmy, oily spot where the leak is.
Usually the hose is only partially off and is still connected but crooked......if that makes any sense.
Here is one way to fix a leaking boost hose at the egr....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyI5S1gLow

duckdive

TDI
Thanks Maxmoo for the further info. Interestingly enough, I just got time after putting the little guy to bed to get back online to search more... and of course, good ol ThomasEXOVCDS has a video like the one you posted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwv_3slulIE)
I was just going back to post this new info, and I saw your post too.
Now the boost question makes sense. Yes, I have some oil/grime there too, and it is a bit loose.
For $31, I already ordered.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I found my boost leak spraying soapy water on the boost tubes & connections with the car running.

duckdive

TDI
I've installed the KermaTDI collar this am. Drove to work. The Golf seemed a bit more peppy, but still a bit sluggish and slow to boost/shift gears.

I'm wondering is the computer needs to relearn/adjust. Is there any other procedure I need to do following collar install? to reset? or anything else like that?

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Honestly I think there may be other leaks in pipes from turbo to intercooler and past.

Easiest to see from under the car.

duckdive

TDI
Well, yes the underside shows that there is definitely a hose off.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/guBaatzJafHCgl6n2
It looks like it might have the same type of connector as the one on the top (that I got the Kerma collar for).
Does this one tend to come off because of the connectors? Or do you think a sloppy mechanic didn't connect it correctly (I had the CV done recently)?
Also, my plastic skid plate is off. I was broken, so I had to keep it from dragging. Maybe the road caused the hose to come off. I'm going to source a new skid.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well, yes the underside shows that there is definitely a hose off.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/guBaatzJafHCgl6n2
It looks like it might have the same type of connector as the one on the top (that I got the Kerma collar for).
Does this one tend to come off because of the connectors? Or do you think a sloppy mechanic didn't connect it correctly (I had the CV done recently)?
Also, my plastic skid plate is off. I was broken, so I had to keep it from dragging. Maybe the road caused the hose to come off. I'm going to source a new skid.
Mechanic or road, no matter now.
Sounds like you're getting to the bottom of this, good!
Because of the low to the ground aluminum oil pan, I would recommend something more metal than plastic underneath.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Yea, as expected (from you mentioning smoke present).

Keep in mind that your engine received 0 filtered air, and pulled in pretty much only air with road dirt through that tube. So the sooner it's fixed, the better.

duckdive

TDI
Well, the issue is resolved. Re-attached the hose and clamp, and my Golf TDI is running normal again.
I'm looking to get a new, better skid plate. Any recommendations? I see a few when I do my online searches... but to be honest, my Golf is stock so I don't know much about any aftermarket vendors or parts. I see a steel one from ECS Tuning https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/steel-skid-plate-kit-ecs-recommends/1j0698930/ but wondering if there are better options.
Any suggestions?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
That hose is most likely going to pop off again. The barbs/nubs wear down; so plan on replacing it. I've changed both upper and lower hoses on my Golf.