DSG rattle or?

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
I bought a used 06 with DSG. It has rattled when cold since I got it. Once warmed up it is quiet. Have replaced alternator pulley and belt. Still has that "coffee can of tocks" sound when cold. The car has gone 80k since I got it. Everything works perfect. Is there any thing else that's can rattle? Thank you for any suggestions or help.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Once the engine warms up it does not vibrate as much and thus the flywheel has less damping to do.
Your description sounds like the typical worn flywheel symptom and they do wear out. No one escapes this. It is normal.
But, I would get with a guru that has dealt with this so you can to confirm it before shelling money out.

If you get it replaced, insist on getting the updated revision of the flywheel said to be an improved version. It has the letters CG at the end of the part number.
Cheaper flywheels (still LUK brand) can be found on Ebay, etc... of the previous version and they are usually just vendors trying to empty their shelves at bargain prices.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Surprised

I am surprised that it would be the flywheel. I was under the impression that once a flywheel was failing it was just a matter of a few hundred miles and it was done. I have over 50000 miles and it is not any noisier now than then. I thought it might be something else.:)

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
That's correct, though when hearing that sound, it's not a bad idea to have it inspected or start saving for a replacement. The reason it is made out to be such a boogeyman is because when it does decide to let go, it is not pretty. I'm starting to have the same symptoms on mine, so I'm planning to replace it by late spring.