Can the Lighting Package be added?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I just purchased a used 2015 Passat TDI SEL, but I hate the lighting on the car. i drive early in the morning, so having good lights is important. We have a 2017 Passat TSI and I love the lighting on the car. I'm hoping I could do something like that to mine.

Also, does the 2015 Passat TDI have any safety features, or any that could be added? That's another thing I love with my wifes car is that it has blind spot sensors and safety sensors if you are coming up too fast on a car.

Would the dealer be able to retrofit anything if there is? I'm sure all of this would be expensive, but I'm just curious.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The dealer will not help you with this.

It's possible to retrofit the Chinese market xenon headlights and LED tail lights. This is a fair bit of work. Aftermarket headlight solutions exist, browse eBay.

You could probably adapt the blind spot monitor parts from a newer car - or get them from China since it was a feature offered there. I don't have any info on what parts or software versions would be required though. Chinese market cars had adaptive cruise control too, but I don't know if that feature requires changing the ABS system.

-J

madmedix

TDI
Passat
Please be careful on the part selection!

The dealer will not help you with this.

It's possible to retrofit the Chinese market xenon headlights and LED tail lights. This is a fair bit of work. Aftermarket headlight solutions exist, browse eBay.

-J
If they are actual/verifiable VW parts from another market, that should be fine.

Something to think about: Installing aftermarket lamps in a car that are not DOT certified (usually from a far east country) and you get in an accident (at fault, or not) you may be required to prove it with documentation. Insurance adjusters usually have the paperwork on what should be on your car (as delivered to the dealer). They notice, say, obviously not OEM assemblies on a car that left the factory with incandescents fitted with H7 bulbs with approved reflectors and you have a fight on your hands and risk invalid insurance, never mind the charges for "malfunctioning headlights" -- if the copper is having a good day....leaving you wayyyy up the proverbial creek, no paddle, no life jacket and a hole in the boat especially if there's bodily injury involved. Seen it happen and survive appeal.
Please - look for the stamp on the lens, or documented on the invoice/receipt.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I'm in the same boat, the lights on my 2015 Passat suck compared to my 2011 Touareg.

I updated the Passat rear exterior light bulbs with canbus friendly LED bulbs from deautokey. I purchased their H7 HID kit designed to run in the stock reflector housing (not installed yet), now I'm looking for an incandescent solution to my high beams without adding auxiliary lighting. I haven't purchase the front LED replacements for turn signals, DRL, or the marker lights yet; the $119 for those three pairs of bulbs (with 15% coupon) is a little salty.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I'm in the same boat, the lights on my 2015 Passat suck compared to my 2011 Touareg.

I updated the Passat rear exterior light bulbs with canbus friendly LED bulbs from deautokey. I purchased their H7 HID kit designed to run in the stock reflector housing (not installed yet), now I'm looking for an incandescent solution to my high beams without adding auxiliary lighting. I haven't purchase the front LED replacements for turn signals, DRL, or the marker lights yet; the $119 for those three pairs of bulbs (with 15% coupon) is a little salty.
Thanks we appreciate it, they work with the electronics and need custom setup to achieve this while still being very bright, we have yet to see any that would work without triggering an error so that is where the pricing comes from but we can help with a package deal if you contact Support@deAutoLED.com - if it is out of your budget we do want to work with you as these LEDs are worth installing - bright and error free since it is all designed with resistors that work great with the VW.

Thank you