Are there fix vs. turn-in statistics?

YellowSpoon

TDI
1999 Jetta
I'm curious as to what some statistics are. What percentage are (A) Fixing; (B) turning the car back to VW, (C) Doing nothing, (D) Can't do anything because the car has been wrecked, or (E) something else.

I have had four VW diesels in the past 36 years. I love them. I would love to keep my 2014 Passat, but VW is willing to pay me 85% of my purchase price for a car that will be 4 1/2 years old next summer. Most cars depreciate over 50% in that period. In my mind, it's a no-brainer. And since I drive less than 700 miles a month, my buyback price has increased $1200 since the formula was announced. If I could, I would wait until 2020 to turn the car back to VW.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We are in the same position with our 2013. We paid $29198 in July '13, and with what I estimate as 80K miles a year from now, VW will pay us a bit over $27K. Not much choice from my perspective, although there are people in differing situations.
If you want to find out what people are doing, why not set up a poll?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I would love to keep my 2014 Passat, but VW is willing to pay me 85% of my purchase price for a car that will be 4 1/2 years old next summer. Most cars depreciate over 50% in that period...
You could also calculate how much the car cost to buy if you kept the money after the fix. It could be a great purchase for that lower price. Then if you keep the car for 10 years it will still have been a good purchase. Also, anything you buy with your money will depreciate just like you said about the car you have now.

I kept mine. Although I have to say my buyout wasn't as good as yours. My car is older and I have a lot of miles.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Under *E* there is a possibity

Wrecked, Nothing, BB, and fix is obvious.

I'm watching the "future" KBB - NADA retail values of similarly equipped 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 models against my 2015.

IMO, the demand for premium condition low mileage units will be greater than the supply

If I do the fix, I get the restitution, (and avoid new car TT&L). In my case approx $8,000.

Because I drive ultra low miles, and so far it is in prime condition, it might pay me to keep it.

At least I get my beloved DSG and the TDi as a kicker. :D

Yesterday I solved my last issue with a sloooow cabin heat up. Coming out of my 1.5 mile residential 25 MPH zone ~ use (S) and hold it in 1st gear @ 2,000 - 2,500 RPM. Garage temp was at 45-ish

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I’d be really surprised if many go for the fix over buyback. For me, it’s either buyback or do nothing at all. I have a ‘13 Golf 2 door 6mt that I’m having a hard time thinking what to replace with. I’ll keep it until the last day possible in December ‘18 (will get back more $$ than I paid for it new). The only two replacement options I see are either the 2019 GTI or the Mazda CX-5 Diesel (if it ever makes it to the US!).

Last edited:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I'm curious as to what some statistics are. What percentage are (A) Fixing; (B) turning the car back to VW, (C) Doing nothing, (D) Can't do anything because the car has been wrecked, or (E) something else.
I have had four VW diesels in the past 36 years. I love them. I would love to keep my 2014 Passat, but VW is willing to pay me 85% of my purchase price for a car that will be 4 1/2 years old next summer. Most cars depreciate over 50% in that period. In my mind, it's a no-brainer. And since I drive less than 700 miles a month, my buyback price has increased $1200 since the formula was announced. If I could, I would wait until 2020 to turn the car back to VW.
This is a little dated, but it’ll give you an idea. Could not find more updated statistics.
https://www.thecarconnection.com/ne...-diesel-owners-have-chosen-buyback-not-repair

YellowSpoon

TDI
1999 Jetta
You could also calculate how much the car cost to buy if you kept the money after the fix.
OP here.

If I could fix, VW would give me $7362, so I'm taking that money out of the equation. This makes my effective buyback price $21875 for a four year-old car for which I paid $26200. That's 84% of my purchase price. I'd be a fool to think that a car that old had only depreciated 16%.

I'm taking the money and running. What made the decision even easier (for me) was that VW is unable to fix a 2014 Passat with a manual transmission. Anyone know why?

So, to summarize: $21875$ buyback plus $7362 fixit price ($29237 total at buyback time) plus $1000 goodwill package received in 2016 plus $350 Bosch settlement = $30587. This is $4300 more than I paid for the car, which pretty much covers fuel and maintenance for the four year.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
It's either fix or buyback. If fix, no buyback.

You can't keep the carrot and eat it at the same time.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
OP here.

If I could fix, VW would give me $7362, so I'm taking that money out of the equation. This makes my effective buyback price $21875 for a four year-old car for which I paid $26200. That's 84% of my purchase price. I'd be a fool to think that a car that old had only depreciated 16%.

I'm taking the money and running. What made the decision even easier (for me) was that VW is unable to fix a 2014 Passat with a manual transmission. Anyone know why?

So, to summarize: $21875$ buyback plus $7362 fixit price ($29237 total at buyback time) plus $1000 goodwill package received in 2016 plus $350 Bosch settlement = $30587. This is $4300 more than I paid for the car, which pretty much covers fuel and maintenance for the four year.
Just to clarify the post above mine ... Your post (quoted) suggests that you have a 2014 Passat with a manual transmission. Your profile (Below your username) suggests otherwise. I am going to ASSume that you have a 2014 Passat with a manual transmission.

And if that's the case ... You cannot get the "fix". VW was unable to achieve sufficient reduction in emissions to allow it. Therefore ... you cannot get the money for the fix. You can either do nothing and get nothing and keep on driving, or you can go the buyback route. Bear in mind that if you do nothing and get nothing and keep on driving, and you do nothing beyond September 2018 (deadline for filing), you will lose the option of buyback and you will HAVE to do nothing, get nothing, and keep on driving (or sell it on the open market as a used car WITHOUT the backup of a buyback available).

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
OP here.

.... snip.....

....info only if you do the fix....

..... More and more I am looking at the fix.

.... Having said that, I do NOT have to pay TT&L for a new ride. In my case 'bout saving $1,000