Fuel Additive for 2009 TDi

02VFR

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 SportWagon
I am a new TDI owner, I picked up my 2009 JSW on Saturday. This is my first non GM car and my first diesel since I started driving in 1986..

I have learned allot from this site but I do have a question. I searched the site and could not come up with an answer for this.

Do I need to add a winterizer to my fuel when the temp drops?
Which additive is safe for the new Clean Diesel TDI's??

Thanks...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You shouoldn't have to add anything. The fuel itself is adjusted for conditions by the distributor. The manual in my 2006 calls for Stanadyne "if" needed. Check your manual, the 2009 are new and it will have the best info.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I would use a ULSD compliant additive for lubricity in the US. ASTM spec biodiesel up to 5% would work great for this.

You should not need to winterize your own fuel. The fuel distributor takes care of that. I would use fuel from a high traffic station. And of course you must use ONLY ULSD on a dpf-equipped car.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Just be sure any additive you should use is DPF acceptable.

I think the max HHFR for a VW is 480. Fuels in US can run as high as 520 and be sold to you, so you decide.

Fuel filtration is more important at this point. I am not sure what the micron rating is for a 2009 filter. I know that in my 2006 its not good enough. I have my own pump and can filter to 4 microns absolute. If I did not the CAT filter would be going in my car first.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
wjdell said:
...I think the max HHFR for a VW is 480. Fuels in US can run as high as 520 and be sold to you, so you decide. ....
the spec from VW is 460 HFRR, but US fuel can range as high as 560 and still PASS.

Agreed about the filtration being very critical, but I don't see why the OE filter would not ensure that.

kasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat TDI spd manual
My experience is with the 02 A4 TDI; I used either Powerservice Diesel Clean in the white container in winter and the grey jug in summer. It's available at Wal mart and most auto supply stores/truckstops. That's what I plan on using in my 09 (whenever it comes in), the Stanadyne products are also good but a bit more expensive. Avoid any additive that has alcohol.The most important thing you can do with any diesel is to buy your fuel from a busy reputable place. Some brands are better than others, my daughter (06 TDI)had a rough idle with Exxon but was OK with Shell.
Diesel fuel is winterized by adding kerosene based on local weather(temperature) averages, so additives really should not be necessary.
However, I once filled up in Detroit and had the fuel system freeze up in Montreal where it was -35C...this is a possibility to consider because of the range you get on a tankful.
Truck stops are the best places to get your fuel..for price and quality.

cheers
Ted

Enjoy the car, I'm looking forward to mine...welcome to the site.

Ted

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Winter fuel is blended by the local bulk supplier. They use a map put out by the ASTM that is part of the official ASTM 975 specs for diesel fuel.

Here is a table of the winter blending specs.

http://tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-10.html

:)

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
You've received all the right info here; all I can add to the above good advice is:

1) I've never quite been able to trust that the fuel I buy in winter is gar-on-teed to be winterized, so I've always used additive (Stanadyne Performance)...less of an issue now that I live in NC, but was a big issue back in PA; the added bennies of increased lubricity, algicide, and a 4-point cetane boost give me a warm fuzzy feeling. In all probability it does nothing useful whatsoever for my engine, but hey, if it feels good, do it.

2) One thing no one has mentioned so far: there are apparently some technology changes in the '09 w/r/t cold starting. For instance, while the glow plugs are still there, what is missing this year is the glow plug idiot light on the instrument cluster. Also zero discussion of cold starting in the diesel supplement to the OM. This still kinda unnerves me...I've known a lotta diesels, but never known one that didn't advertise the glow plugs and a cold-weather starting procedure. So, maybe VW has perfected the technology to the point where the driver doesn't even need to know. But that qualifies it (in my book) as brand-new technology...i.e., somewhat suspect until proven successful. If I was living in cold weather country, as you are, I would definitely use an additive for the first winter, until we get some reports regarding the winter-starting abilities of the '09. But I'll be the first to admit that that's just me.

Last edited:

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
RUSHtheBUS said:
I have a glow plug light on mine. See page 216 in the manual....cold weather ops are found on page 278
Hmmm...the mystery deepens. Page 216 in my manual deals only with the (optional) electric plug-in engine pre-heater, no discussion of the glow plugs or their light. And p. 278 deals with "washer fluid and windshield wiper blades." Looks like you and I have two different versions of the '09 OM. ***?

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Ya know what, maybe here's the explanation: my car is #1470 (it was one of the demos), whereas I see from your sig that yours is #12700. I'll betcha they just threw some generic '09 manual into the first few, then later thought "hmm...maybe we should mention somewhere in the manual that it's a diesel...." Rear cover of my manual says "Art.-Nr.: 291.557.JBB.21 | englisch Nordamerika 12.2007". What does yours say? I should mention that my front cover does say "Model Year 2009", but that "12.2007" freshness date on the back cover suggests my manual is a hold-over from the (temporarily) pre-diesel days. I maybe need to have a talk with my stealership about gettin the right dang manual. I'd kinda like to read up on cold weather ops before winter sets in....

Last edited:

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
WOW! The back of my book is "print status 04.2008." and my "art-nr.:292.557.jbb.21" is 05.2008.

bet those are print dates.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Ah-HAH! Got 'em dead to rights. Oh man, they are soooooo busted.

Anybody else out there have a 2007 manual with a 2009 cover? No, wait a minute, don't answer that here...I don't want to hijack this valuable thread. I'll start a new thread in TDI 101. For more on this topic please see this thread, or this one.

Thanks for sharing your info, Rush!

Last edited:

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
cold weather ops in my book simply states: "At temperatures below 20F Diesel fuel No.2 loses it fluidity due to wax seperation, which may clog the fuel filter or tank filter and keep the engine from running."

"To help the filter from being clogged by wax, the fuel filter in your vehicle is automatically pre-heated. Preheating the fuel filter makes the operation of your vehicle possible with Diesel fuel No. 2 down to -10 F."

"If you expect temperatures below 5F ask your fuel dealer whether their Diesel fuel No 2 is sufficiently winterized for the prevailing and expected temperatures."

"If not winterized or insufficiently winterized Diesel fuel has already thickened to the extent that the engine will not start, warm the vehicle up by leaving it in a heated garage."

Do not let your Diesel engine idle unneccessarily after a cold start. Driving off slowly will shorten the warm-up period."

02VFR

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 SportWagon
I have the same manual as RUSHtheBUS..
It does not mention additives..

I looked at the on line dealers and I could not find anything that that says it was safe for the clean diesel technology..

I will stop in the Flying J on my way home one day and check out there selection of additives..

Last edited:

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Additives

Anyone tried or heard about 'Diesel Guard' by ValveTech? I'm in a HOT weather area, but just interested in maybe helping lubricity, cetane, moisture dispersion, etc. I ask about 'Diesel Guard' as it seems to be the only diesel additive i've seen locally available.

John F
'09 JSW TDI, 1500 miles & counting

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
No need for additives.

My car is 5 year old and ~55,000 miles on it. I never used any kind of additives and never had any fuel gelling problems even at -8F temperatures in Massachusetts. There is no mention of fuel additives in the manual. In winter, I always buy fuel from a busy Mobil truck station.

M.