2012 thru 2015 Beetle TDi

marcoforehand

TDI
2005 jetta 5spd, 2013 Beetle dsg, 02 Jeeta 5spd retired after 300K+
Considering replacing my 05 (A4 body style) Jetta with a Beetle.
Not putting the miles on that I used to but still like the torque.
Curious if there is any model year that should be avoided or should be searched for ?
My wife had a 2013 Beetle TDi, put close to 50K on it before the buy back, so I do know the car (she went with a 2015 GSW).
I do not want a soft top or DSG.
Thanks
Marco

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would try for a 2015 if I were you. But they seem to be as rare as hens teeth, especially the manual trans models. Nice to see a post in the Beetle forum. Pretty lonely in here all by myself. I bought a brand new stop sale 2015 Beetle in 2017 and have been very happy with it so far. These cars have real issues though if all you do is short trips in them. They need to regen the dpf filter and if you don't drive enough or pay particular attention to it and let it happen when needed you are asking for trouble. If you aren't driving that much I would suggest another non tdi car.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
We bought one of the buyback Beetles (2014 w/manual @ 20K miles), and it's been a brilliant car. My wife drives it on her commute which has a lot of city driving. She only gets around 32 mpg in it, but whenever we take it on a long drive, it'll get 40. If you're driving short distances, don't expect spectacular fuel economy out of it.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have a ‘13 tdi dsg beetle, I bought it in 10/14 with less than 10,000 miles. It has 88,400 miles. I drive 65 miles a day, 90% at 70 mph, it gets 36-37 mpg. Best of luck finding one, vw doesn’t have very many tdis left and a manual beetle was a rare car when they were new.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They made fewer and fewer Beetles as the final end of production date closed in. Even fewer tdi's and even fewer manual trans. If you want one start looking hard and do a nationwide search and be ready to travel to get what you want.