VW settlement

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
As I understand March 31st 2017 was the final day and they are to start paying out to us in Canada with the dirt diesels.
So are they or they going to keep stalling or they get to it it and pay us?

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The judge said he didn't think the deal was good enough. April 7th they will be back in court.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The process is not expected to start until end of April and that's assuming the courts do what they did in the US - dismiss and reject all the objections. If they are sent back to the negotiation table, it could be months.

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
I bought a new F150 last week ..... as soon as it is delivered , I'm parking my 2012 Jetta and keeping fire and theft coverage only on it .... it's about 500 kms shy of its' extended warranty expiring , and I'll be damned if I'm going to get stuck with a big repair bill right before I hand it back ...... I hope this gong show is over soon, and that we get a decent , expedient settlement ...... Good luck everyone ! Cheers

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I bought a new F150 last week ..... as soon as it is delivered , I'm parking my 2012 Jetta and keeping fire and theft coverage only on it .... it's about 500 kms shy of its' extended warranty expiring , and I'll be damned if I'm going to get stuck with a big repair bill right before I hand it back ...... I hope this gong show is over soon, and that we get a decent , expedient settlement ...... Good luck everyone ! Cheers

What big repair bill? Does the car no diesel anymore and provide excellent km/L of use?

Seem's that most true VW TDI owner's are the ones that disregard this fiasco and keep on racking up the KM's without a worry.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
As I understand March 31st 2017 was the final day and they are to start paying out to us in Canada with the dirt diesels.
So are they or they going to keep stalling or they get to it it and pay us?
Be glad that the judge actually gave a damn and wants to be sure we are being fairly compensated. If he wants another week, he can have it. And yes, I am anxious as well since I am in the market for a new car as we speak. But, I don't like getting screwed compared to the US settlement. And as the judge pointed out, under the Consumer Protection Act we'd be entitled to a full refund.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What big repair bill? Does the car no diesel anymore and provide excellent km/L of use?
Seem's that most true VW TDI owner's are the ones that disregard this fiasco and keep on racking up the KM's without a worry.
Some TDI owners thik they are sitting on a good mine.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
I am parking my 2012 as soon as I find my Mazda, looking now and my Passat seems to sense it, engine makes a strange sound when first started, and 2 weeks ago the Adblu heater went.

So it looks like it is going to be a cash deal for me but here is what I don't get..why the buyback is based on wholesale values ? we did not pay wholesale, we paid retail, shouldn't the buyback be based on retail ?

Am I missing something here ? I haven't come across this while browsing this forum. I feel for those who objected, where current buyback offer does not even satisfy the balance still owing on their car, like that lady on the news last Friday.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Remember the old Red Rose tea commercial. Well nowhere is slogan "Only In Canada" more fitting.

I wonder, did the US deal get finalized and the owners reimbursed already?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475883

could you imagine if this happened a few weeks away from getting a 10-20k check, and now you owe 10k? Few and far between, but not worth the gamble.

993er, people are already trading in their cars in the USA, since late jan/feb.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
So it looks like it is going to be a cash deal for me but here is what I don't get..why the buyback is based on wholesale values ? we did not pay wholesale, we paid retail, shouldn't the buyback be based on retail ?
Exactly my thought. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kelley Blue Book, which they are using in the states, is market value. And they are getting a 20% premium on top of the KBB value, before their bigger cash oops money.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I thought so. As usual, Canada is always behind in everything. Everything always so drawn out. :rolleyes:

I won't be trading mine in; taking the buyout instead.

Too many unknowns. Long term reliability as per recognized reports (and I am not interested in hearing some owners experiences), the stigma now attached to TDIs should I want to sell or trade later if the car is nothing but problems, etc.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
I thought so. As usual, Canada is always behind in everything. Everything always so drawn out. :rolleyes:

I won't be trading mine in; taking the buyout instead.

Too many unknowns. Long term reliability as per recognized reports (and I am not interested in hearing some owners experiences), the stigma now attached to TDIs should I want to sell or trade later if the car is nothing but problems, etc.
at least you have options. the longer this goes on, the less likely keeping it is an option. US cars might not pass new emissions tests, then what do we do? the grey zone just got murkier/

Cheekee

TDI
NO MORE 2012 Jetta TDI >> F150
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475883
could you imagine if this happened a few weeks away from getting a 10-20k check, and now you owe 10k? Few and far between, but not worth the gamble.
Thanks Steve, that's just one of the posts I was looking for ... there are a lot more in the same boat ....... I'm glad Mrrhtuner loves his TDI's , but it's just a freaking car to me ..... I'm so ready to put this garbage behind me , and get on with life ..... Cheers

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
I recently had my 2015 tdi in for DEF fluid leaking. While it was there I had them do the reflash as per the letter I received.. I hope you are all booking your appointments for the reflash. In my letter, if you don't get it done, you forfeit any choice of reimbursement / buyback etc..
On the plus, I don't notice any difference whatsoever in performance.
I too am also driving the piss out of my tdi knowing full well that the value of my vehicle is based on the blue book of Sept 2015 when I was given the 2 credit cards and my mileage documented.. Im now at 73,000+ km and this will be a win for me.... I just wonder how long we can drag this out before we have to allow vw to buy it back..

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG - Silver and 2012 Jetta 6mt Grey
I recently had my 2015 tdi in for DEF fluid leaking. While it was there I had them do the reflash as per the letter I received.. I hope you are all booking your appointments for the reflash. In my letter, if you don't get it done, you forfeit any choice of reimbursement / buyback etc..
On the plus, I don't notice any difference whatsoever in performance.
I too am also driving the piss out of my tdi knowing full well that the value of my vehicle is based on the blue book of Sept 2015 when I was given the 2 credit cards and my mileage documented.. Im now at 73,000+ km and this will be a win for me.... I just wonder how long we can drag this out before we have to allow vw to buy it back..
What letter? I didnt get any. 2012 TDI.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
Exactly my thought. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kelley Blue Book, which they are using in the states, is market value. And they are getting a 20% premium on top of the KBB value, before their bigger cash oops money.
That's my understanding as well. I'm not interested in the wholesale value they are offering. I'd like a fair market value.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's my understanding as well. I'm not interested in the wholesale value they are offering. I'd like a fair market value.
If you don't like the deal then keep your car!

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
If you don't like the deal then keep your car!
OR I can register my complaint with the lawer$ regarding the $ettlement offer, as I did. Wait and see now... written submissions due today :). While I didn't buy an extended warranty, I do think that those who did should be compensated for what they paid for it.

I may well keep it and sell it privately. Based on what I've seen on kijiji lately, I might get more for it.

imo000, for someone without a horse in the race, your replies come across as being a little hot headed and confrontational :confused:.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OR I can register my complaint with the lawer$ regarding the $ettlement offer, as I did. Wait and see now... written submissions due today :). While I didn't buy an extended warranty, I do think that those who did should be compensated for what they paid for it.

I may well keep it and sell it privately. Based on what I've seen on kijiji lately, I might get more for it.

imo000, for someone without a horse in the race, your replies come across as being a little hot headed and confrontational :confused:.

This mass hysteria is extremely fascinating to me.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
this might seem too good to be true, AND a little misleading:

Did you see this? They now have a department for those that imported into Canada covered by the US settlement.

Did you see this?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3538...91923981493344

They now have a special team where people that imported the cars into Canada are covered

1-844-982-5246 and at the first menu choose 8

I am thinking this applies to people who exported from US after the Sept. 2015 scandal broke. We await a response from VW.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm not interested in the wholesale value they are offering. I'd like a fair market value.
Are you forgetting the $5950 you'll get on top of the CBB value?

I am getting within $3150 of what I paid for my 2013 Jetta out the door.
Not bad for 3.5 years of driving.

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you forgetting the $5950 you'll get on top of the CBB value?
I am getting within $3150 of what I paid for my 2013 Jetta out the door.
Not bad for 3.5 years of driving.
I wish I were that close.

2014 Sportwagon Comfortline 6s with 65K kms.
CBB Value $17,350 + bonus $5,950 = $23,250

We paid $33,300 after fees/taxes in Jan. 2014 (I've deducted the extra set of wheels/tires + extra 2yr warranty my wife bought).

A difference of $10K or $9K if I also include the $1K in gift cards. Of course, with the car still under VW warranty, we have $500 in credit at our local dealer.

disisme

TDI
Unfortunatly there is no fix for 2012 jetta only the 15's.