2014 Passat TDI Oil Change Pricing

sowegatdi

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI DSG, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG (traded @ 111,000)
Regular oil change at 10,000 mile increments on my 2010 Jetta TDI ran around $135 at the dealer. Now I'm told oil change at 30,000 on my 2014 Passat TDI is projected to be $313. In addition to normal parts for the upcoming oil change, the estimate printout for that service includes:
Brake Fluid 1 $ 3.44
Brake Fluid 1(Liters) $41.43
Also total labor for the visit is $147.50 where is was about $47 on the Jetta.
The only thing I see related to brakes on the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance list is, "check brake pads", and I can't imagine labor going up that much for an oil change.
Can anyone explain why this might be?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Brake fluid is to be replaced at 3years for the first flush, then every two years thereafter. It has nothing to do with mileage. There are usually better options for service than the dealership...

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
I'd dig into that. My 30K service was $68... at my dealer...

I did decline the reccomended tire rotation.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Shouldn't it be free? I get coupons from my local dealership for $69 oil changes.
On 2012 and 13 Passats the "Carefree Maintence" was covered for 3 years 36,000 miles, but changed it starting the 2014 model year to 2 years, 24,000 miles. Like you I regular receive service coupons though.

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
Simply go into dealer and ask for an oil change, and tire rotation, that is all that is needed at 30k. They are attempting to change your brake fluid which is recommended at 3 years, however the notation making this recommendation is in the 30k list of maintenance items. You do not need to flush and replace brake fluid at 30k. When the tech is rotating the tires they will pick up on any brake issues (brake inspection is recommended as well). Oil change should only run about $80 MAX, it takes only 4 liters (say $10 a liter dealer price) plus a $15 filter.

And dealers wonder why they have such a poor reputation.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I didn't realize it went back to 2yr/24k.

When I bought my 2002, I started looking in 2001. In 2001 it was 2yr/24k maintenance was included, in 2002 it was 4yr/50k and you were responsible for all maintenance. All of a sudden instead of 10k Oil change intervals when they paid for maintenance, it needed 5k intervals. Hmmm.....

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Allow me to first share that when I purchase a vehicle I have no intention of ever returning it to a dealer for service, except perhaps for a recall or warranty issues. We can agree or disagree about "free" service but I'm of the opinion that "free" usually is anything but.

There is another side to the story though. Have a look at the facilities at your dealership. They aren't optional. The buildings, the facilities, and the employees don't come for free. Imagine the fixed costs associated with a dealership and one can at least appreciate the reason for 5k mile oil changes and the associated requirement for disposing of and changing the blinker fluid and such. Unethical? Of course! But maybe somewhat understandable.

Look at the first 10k maintenance. I haven't a clue as to what the dealer receives from VW but I do know that time is money. Properly and carefully done this isn't a fifteen minute procedure. And properly done the 10k maintenance should not be the within the province of the local oil jockey... But it usually is.

Then the 20k maintenance... Actually fairly simple but again not something to be left to just any employee and certainly not best left to an employee who is paid on a flat rate basis where the temptation is always to cut corners.

Perhaps I'm a bit anal but here's the drill for service that's up to my standards:

At 10k miles the car comes in, the engine cover removed, and the upper bay is inspected for anything suspicious. The vehicle then goes on the lift where the belly pan is removed, the oil is drained, and a thorough inspection of the vehicle is made from bumper to bumper. THOROUGH! Oil plug is replaced and the vehicle lowered.

On the NMS TDI we see an electrical bus and a hose assembly with the potential to interfere with filter removal. Attachment hardware is removed to allow for filter clearance. Then the insulated steel piping directly in front of the filter. It must be protected to insure no oil drips onto that nice off-white covering. Once done the removal procedure isn't difficult. Actually positioning the new filter properly into the housing is the most troublesome until you get a bit of practice. So now an oil fill and at the same time a check for any other fluids as might be needed. This to include DEF and I don't allow spills!

We then start the engine and check for leaks or anything suspicious. Assuming all is well the car is again raised, the underside checked for leaks and the belly pan put back in place. Half way down the tires are rotated and the brake mechanicals are inspected. Then the car is finally lowered and moved off the rack. At this point the service interval is reset and VagCom is run to assure no surprises.

The 20k mile service is more involved in that there is more to do. Air filter, fuel filter, and cabin air filter in addition to the oil change. Nothing really difficult but everything takes time and shortcuts aren't allowed.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't work at a frantic pace since the time involved is mine. Also the car is mine. The simple 10k service will take the better part of an hour. Actually a bit more if preparation and the usual VagCom diagnosis is included. The 20k service will at least double the time needed and probably a bit more. Certainly the service can be done quicker but I take my time. Good enough is not good enough for me.

What I'm getting at is that even the best dealer doesn't have the luxury of free time. Every minute spent on a job means one less to be available for the next. When looking at the huge mortgage payment due at the end of the month there might be every incentive to cut a few corners and push as much work through the shop as possible. It's either that or somehow develop a clientele with very deep pockets and a willingness to spend. Generally VW buyers aren't quite at that plateau.

Bottom line? At least have some sympathy for your dealership. Costs are astronomical. Better to pay a dealer fairly for a proper job than get substandard work for a bargain price. That is, of course, assuming you actually receive what you pay for.

Then the independent shop. Just because an independent hangs out a shingle proclaiming to service foreign cars does not qualify him for much beyond just that. Reputation, specific knowledge, and proper tools must be part of the package. You won't find such a person at your local Firestone or Goodyear store and certainly not at the QuickLube either.

So three choices... Find a reputable dealer who outshops quality work. Pay what he charges and be happy. Or find a reputable and qualified independent. Again, pay him well and be happy. Or do your own work. Know your vehicle from bumper to bumper and know that everything has been done properly without question.

Just don't point at a dealer and assume he's a thief. Know that the cost of keeping the doors open will be reflected either in high rates or perhaps inferior work. Maybe both for the less reputable. There are good dealers out there though. Also good independents. If you don't do your own work then find one, pay his bill, and know the needed services have been properly performed.

One further thing to remember... Your TDI is anything but an economy car. If you purchased it thinking so, then you're sadly mistaken. Your TDI is actually a rather expensive car which will return stellar economy. It's also a car which returns a driving experience deeply appreciated by many of us and worth the trouble and expense of ownership.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Those of us under 3/36 got a free brake flush at 30k miles regardless of how old, because of the wording in the service manual. It seems the dealer is staying with that and charging the customer instead if they have 2/24 program.

As noted brake fluid is every 3 years. Just decline the optional service.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...Perhaps I'm a bit anal ...
BWAHAHAHA!!!:D:D:D We had no idea!

I'm only yanking your chain, because I'm very much the same. I make insecure techs miserable, and decent techs more aware that there ARE some car owners that care about quality work, and will pay accordingly.

I'd just never put it in writing!

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Nord, good points

Finding a good dealer or shop is the key if you can't do it yourself.
If I have free time I will do some of the work, but if I'm busy, I let the dealer that I trust knock it out. They have the tools needed and the certified parts/fluids (sometimes more expensive) to do the job and the work is always guaranteed and they have always done what I asked(I do check the work, my quality control program :D)

Building the trust relationship is the hard part, knowing what the job actually entails and what it should cost generally is one way of making sure your dealer is trustworthy. (Keep what Nord said in mind when looking at cost)

I just paid for my first mx on my passat at 50k, the oil change was $75 with discount, I did my own tire rotation. I was under the 3/36 mx program and when I had the turbo replaced because of whine, the dealer negotiated to have my 40k service fully covered by VW, to include the DSG. :eek:

OP. It is good to ask the question on here so you can learn what the average cost is for the work performed, this makes you better informed and allows you to negotiate the price or determine if you need another shop to do the work in the future.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Tdi... You got me on that one!:D

I am and I'm proud of it!

Sometimes you get what you pay for and other times you pay for what you get.

Oh... And a good tech has nothing to fear from me. There just aren't that many.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Uhh...I'm proud of my OCD characteristics, too, but I'm even more proud of my humility!!!