www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old May 15th, 2016, 22:57   #1
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG
Default Side Marker Light Issues SOLVED!

A few days ago my car started to have some intermittent side marker light issues.

Not every time, but some times when I start the car I get this message.

The message goes away after a few seconds and then I have the trouble light.

Here is what is annoying, the right marker light is working. At this point I'm guessing the bulb is loose in the socket and is triggering a trouble code for a few seconds.

All input is welcome.

Brian, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT
Kathy, 2014 Passat SE 2.5
Chris, 2015 Passat SEL TDI

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )

Last edited by BKmetz; May 17th, 2016 at 14:54. Reason: corrected some detail
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:10   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 3.3 Mi/kWh

I'd start by taking the bulb out and putting it back in. Though, to be honest if you're that far in just replace it. It's a 194.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 28,000 miles.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG. Sold to JDSwann's Brother.
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 20:36   #3
BKmetz

$5.36 and 1 hour later I fixed my light issue. What a PITA...

The side marker takes a 2825 bulb. This is a 5W bulb.

Getting the bulb out is easy. Turn the wheel in as far as possible, remove the access cover on the inner fender and pull off the rubber cover. The bulb holder pulls straight out after a short twist.

The old bulb looked fine but I decided to replace it anyway. The bulb fit fine in its socket but I went ahead and pinched the prongs together with the smallest flat-blade screwdriver I had. The prongs did grip the new bulb tighter after I did that.

Now for the PITA part: Trying to get the bulb back through the access hole and into the headlight assembly. It's all by feel. After a dozen tries I gave up and removed the front wheel so I could see what the hell I was suppose to be doing and take some photos. After a few tries I got the bulb back in and the rubber cover back on.

Some tips:

1. The side marker lights are the only ones you have to remove the access panels to replace.

2. The 2825 bulb is identical in size to the more common 194 bulb. The 2825 is 5W, the 194 is 3.8W. I had a package of 194s in my hand but decided to use the part look-up computer Autozone had on the counter to double check.

3. This part will drive you nuts. The left side bulb socket turns counter-clockwise to twist it out. The right side bulb socket turns clockwise to twist it out. RTFM so you can keep this straight. This detail was probably 90% of my frustration.

I'll say it again, what a PITA. VW could have designed something better.

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:52   #4
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post
$5.36 and 1 hour later I fixed my light issue. What a PITA...
<snip>
I'll say it again, what a PITA. VW could have designed something better.

Every car seems to have something like this, with luck only one. Our aging '04 SAAB has the same headlight bulbs as the Passat (H7 halogens), but are FAR more of a PITA to replace. To do the bulbs on the driver's side, the battery must come out. On the passenger's side, the induction hose to the MAF must be removed. Haven't had to do the Passat's headlight bulbs yet, but looks like a piece of cake.......but now I'll be dreading the DRLs and side marker lights.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 11:14   #5
jck66
Veteran Member

This sounds like about as much fun as changing a B4 headlight bulb, which entails removing the grille(!) to access all the mounting tabs for the lamp unit and then removing the lamp to access the bulbs. Then button it all back up and make sure your aim is still true!

(Others were able to work on these in-situ but I never had much luck. Must be my clumsy hands.)
jck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 14:26   #6
BKmetz

The B4 is a lot easier. I was able to change out a bulb in under 5 minutes, once I learned how to remove the side marker lights without deforming the plastic clip that hides inside the fender.

Old May 20th, 2016, 08:49   #7
rustycat
Veteran Member

I did watch a video on youtube where the fellow accessing the DRLs and side marker lidhts simply yanked the wheel well liner out to access. Took less than a minute.
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 18:40   #8
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

I hate all these new names for the same bulb, bp2, 2825 ect- its a W5W-same bulbs our grandfathers side marker lights used 50 years ago.
2009 Highlander Hybrid aka the HIHY 25MPG
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 23:51   #9
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

Cool. Great thread. I've been seeing random bulb out messages for the right and left front marker lights as well. Thanks to the OP for the details on how to access the bulbs.

Took me about 10 minutes for the first one, without having to remove the tire/wheel. Just turned the wheel to the stop so I could get to it easy. The other side took maybe 5 minutes once I knew what to expect.
Old June 5th, 2016, 17:13   #10
Fav40
Veteran Member

I'm all LED aside from Headlight bulbs and I get that error when ever the Glow plugs cycle. If I turn the lights on, all my lights work fine. The extra draw from the Glow plugs and the ignition cycle seem to see something.
Fav40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 08:54   #11
2dye4

TDI(s): Jetta

Just did this with minimal curse words, I found the easiest way is to to turn on the parking lights so you can see it when it is in place. 5min tops
2dye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:06   #12
BKmetz

Now when I have to do anything headlight related I just remove the whole headlight assembly. I'm not a kid anymore so it's just easier for me to remove the grill and headlights than contorting myself using the wheel-well method. I bought a cordless ratchet/wrench so this saves a lot of time removing all those torx bolts.

I highly recommend a cordless ratchet. I don't do enough wrenching to justify any air tools or buying an air compressor. Several months ago NAPA had a sale and I picked up this IR R1130 3/8" 12v. It's very easy to use. 12v is plenty of power for a casual hobbyist. IR makes a 20v version but it's pricey and meant for a professional garage/shop. It's also a lot bigger and heavier.

Old February 4th, 2019, 11:02   #13
Lex Tdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2013 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmetz View Post

I always appreciate posting things like this... definitely not a wrencher but love to know the tips and tricks to get some of the easier things done around the house and on the vehicles....
Thanks to Paramedick (Bruce) for being my local Guru for over a decade!
Lex Tdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 13:16   #14
wvmountains

TDI(s): 2012 SEL TDI
Fuel Economy: 37
Default Marker light rubber cap

So I removed the inner fender access cover to get to the right marker light bulb. Trouble is I donít think I found the rubber cover for the bulb.
Is this the rubber cover you can see through the access hole?
I was afraid to pull it off for fear of messing something up! I finally gave up so I need some help please.
Thanks all.
wvmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 00:02   #15
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvmountains View Post
So I removed the inner fender access cover to get to the right marker light bulb. Trouble is I don’t think I found the rubber cover for the bulb.
Is this the rubber cover you can see through the access hole?
I was afraid to pull it off for fear of messing something up! I finally gave up so I need some help please.
Thanks all.

@wvmountains, yes it's the rubber cover just inside the access hole. Pull it off, and inside is a plastic bulb holder as seen in the image in post #3 above.

Here are some pics I took of mine for reference. Rubber cover, as installed:

...and the rubber cover removed, showing the bulb holder that needs to be gently twisted to remove from the housing:

Make sure you reinstall the rubber cover securely onto the housing to prevent water and dirt
from entering and contaminating the inside of the housing.

Last edited by bustNfuel; November 4th, 2019 at 00:04.
bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote