Poor MPG

blackgolf

Hello,
I just bought my 2000 Golf GLS TDI (5-speed) two weeks ago and I'm very impressed with it. The only problem is that at a 196 miles, my fuel tank is almost half empty.
I shift between 2500 and 3000 rpms and I've tested the quickness on the highway twice for less than 15 miles each time. Most of the miles are city, but I think MPG should still be close to 40 and not in the 20s. Is there a problem with the engine or with my driving (I've only driven gas cars before this one).

Benjie

Denton T. Young

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Your mileage should be in the 40s but maybe the dealer did not fully fill the tank. I would wait a few tankfuls before getting concerned with the mileage. BTW, I'm averaging 48.5 mpg thru 6 refills.

D

------------------
'00 Bright Green Golf GL TDI

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
You might want to take it easy on the engine until the engine has a few thousand miles on it. Right now, it is breaking in. This would be true if it were a gasoline or diesel car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Also, with this engine, you don't NEED to shift at high revs to make it go. I normally shift at 2500 while accelerating, then once I reach cruising speed, I select the highest gear that keeps the revs above 1500.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Robber

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own 99 Golf IV, Upsolute Chip and opened intake
Benjie, try shifting so that when you shift the rpms drop to around 1800 to 2000. This is where the most torque is and where you'll get the most acceleration. So..your shift point should be somewhere around 2300 rpm to 2500 rpm. Remember this is not a gas but a diesel, low end torque.

------------------
99 Golf GL TDI, White
Front Bra Cover, Spash Guards,
Armrest, VW Bike Rack & Tinted windows

Till death do us part.

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Don't worry, your mileage will improve in a few tankfuls...

Don't forget to factor in the 1-2 gallons of reserve fuel that are in the tank even when it says it is empty.

Also, keep in mind that you do not need to keep to RPM's up in town driving to keep the car from stalling, the way you would with a gas powered car. My TDI is perfectly happy to loaf along in traffic at 25-30 mph in 4th gear, whereas in an equivalent gas car you would be jumping back and forth between 2nd and 3rd at 3000 rpm just to keep the engine running....

One to grow on...

------------------
Ryan

1999.5 Jetta/Bora GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray Studio

LiftnBuddy

TDI
2000 GL Silver
I was disappointed with my first tank or so, but I've now run about 4 tanks through, and the MPG seems to be increasing slowly. I mostly drive around town, and averaged 42 on the last tank. I ended up driving a lot of highway on my first two tanks, averaging 46-48. I was hoping for more on that trip. It was unfortunate that I had to make a long trip on break-in, but alas...I had no choice. Still, VERY happy with the mileage. I had a Jeep Wrangler 4-cyl prior to this, and averaged 17mpg, so this is QUITE A CHANGE!

Rich
"00 TDI"

[This message has been edited by Liftnbuddy (edited January 24, 2000).]

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Liftnbuddy said:

"I had a Jeep Wranger 4-cyl prior to this, and averaged 17mpg, so this is QUITE A CHANGE!"

I can relate to that! I used to drive a 4 liter 6 cyl Land Cruiser that got about 14 mpg on a good day!

Fun rig though...put a diesel in it and it would be the bomb!

------------------
Ryan

1999.5 Jetta/Bora GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray Studio

i love my tdi

you cant depend on the fuel gauge..the only real way to track mileage is to start with a full tank(venting) and fill up as close as you can each time...i always shift around 2000 rpm(im not in a big hurry most of the time) and it really doesnt help to go over 2500 rpms with the diesel engine...just my experience

After the breaking in time and if the engine is hot I even keep the revs between 1500 and 2000 after reaching cruising speed 30-35 mph. That is 4th gear on my 5 speed manual. To get an better mpg I shift to neutral when I see the red light 1000 ft away.

If you are not in a hurry try to shift at around 2500.

Wolfgang

--------
moved temporarily to Marietta,GA
wjaeger@spsu.edu

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I think the biggest mistake people make when they get a new TDI is when to shift. Max torque is at 1,900 RPM. Shift at about 2,500 RPM and the mileage will be there, unless you have crappy fuel or there is something wrong with your car. Don't shift it like a gasser. You're not in Kansas anymore.

Rich

Trahloc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black :(
Crappy fuel... I can relate to that. Best milage I can get on avg in southern california with 76 fuel is 42 (no cetane stickers, I've yet to see one). Up in northern california where the diesel was 1.28 I was probably getting like 47-48 like everyone here lists. But LA diesel just blows chunks, I swear, must be made out of horse piss.

Trahloc
'00 Jetta TDI

[This message has been edited by Trahloc (edited January 24, 2000).]