Cruise Control Fix for 2004-2006 Golf/Jetta PD TDI with upgraded 5th gear or 6th gear

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
This is a fairly well-known fix but I still get asked if we can do it.

Changing the 5th gear or swapping in a 6 speed manual transmission will make top gear cruise control non-functional in almost every case.

We can do both 5th and 6th gear fixes. When ordering a tune we need the following information:
  • 5th gear change? We need to know your 5th gear ratio (e.g. 0.658, 0.717)
  • 6 speed transmission swap? We need to know your transmission code (e.g. ERF, DRW, FMH)

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
Wow, been waiting for this for a while. I think I was one of the first to encounter this problem in my 2004 Jetta. I put in the .681 5th gear. Can you PM me details about how your tune could be applied to my ECU?

TDI
2005 New Beetle 5-spd TDI
Thank You Mark Malone for restoring my 2005 New beetle TDI Cruise Control!!!!!

I just wanted to Thank You for restoring my cruise control following my 5th gear change-out on my 2005 New beetle TDI. (1.9 BEW PD engine with upgraded .658 5th gear change)

Working with your tuner Les Ebersol at "DieselDubs" in PA. you have given my right ankle a much needed REST!! :D

I was Extremely Impressed with the professionalism exhibited by Les and the diligence with which he performed the work on my car. My Newbeetle had a ECM Communication problem that complicated the tune, but the 2 of you worked it out!

I am also happy with the "EGR mod" that you performed! It'll help keep my intake much cleaner!

Thanks again to Mark and Les for your Expertise!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Mark Malone for your Tuning needs! :)

mickelson82

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW; 2006 Jetta BRM
04 PD Tune

Mark,
I have an 04 Jetta with the BEW engine. I have deleted the EGR and am going to swap the 5th gear to a .658. I live in Mandan, ND and would like to get a tune for these upgrades. How would I go about doing that? Can I pull out the ECU and send it to you, or is there someone close that can do it in the car for me?

Thanks,

asap03

Veteran Member
TDI
G5 1.9TDI PD 2007 BXE
Malone dealers don't need to contact Mark for the tunes/flashzilla when servicing a new customer?

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Malone dealers don't need to contact Mark for the tunes/flashzilla when servicing a new customer?
Please consider the question I was answering with the dealer listing link:

Mark,
I have an 04 Jetta with the BEW engine. I have deleted the EGR and am going to swap the 5th gear to a .658. I live in Mandan, ND and would like to get a tune for these upgrades. How would I go about doing that? Can I pull out the ECU and send it to you, or is there someone close that can do it in the car for me?

Thanks,
You are correct that a dealer will have to work with Mark on a tune. However, going through a dealer is still the best bet in many cases such as mickelson82's. Malone is in BC Canada which takes longer to ship an ECU back and forth. With a dealer, this fellow's ECU can be tuned via the DLC without the extra cost of a Flashzilla. Or, if he wants to ship the ECU it will be faster and less costly to not have to ship across the border twice.

Mark's service is excellent, but his time is a limited resource just like the rest of us. Malone dealers help take care of the "grunt work" of tuning so that Mark can focus his talents writing excellent tunes.:D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Mark, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this is only an issue with like 02 or 03 and newer?

asap03

Veteran Member
TDI
G5 1.9TDI PD 2007 BXE
@A5INKY - I got it, thanks for the answer.

I want to take the opportunity here and say that I am very satisfied with Mark's tune, the car runs great, I did a lot of WOT logs, no overboost, IQ is at limit for my stock injectors. I can compare Mark's tune with an older tune, made by another guy, that killed my N75 and stock turbo...
But as I got the virus, now I want more, meaning bigger injectors with a new tune :D

mickelson82

TDI
2004 Jetta BEW; 2006 Jetta BRM
I was able to send my ECU to a dealer in MN and got it taken care of in less than a week. Great service.