Utah Members

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
Hey guys, I'm in Eagle Mountain, UT. Just bought a 2013 Jetta TDI and need someone in the area with a VCDS setup to enable the following after I get my Westfalia hitch installed.

- Remote Windows/Sunroof via Keyfob
- Enable Towing
- Change 3 blink comfort turn signals to 5 blink

However, I'm fairly computer saavy (I'm a software engineer), if you think me buying the VCDS cable and software would be better in the long run then I can do that grant it it's not got a steap learning curve.
I would recommend you buy one.

However, I have one at my shop in Saratoga and you are welcome to use it to make those changes.

The Car Doctors Tire Pros
2158 N Redwood Rd

Drop me a email so we can make sure I'm there when you come by.
tireprosofsaratoga@gmail.com

SLVVR6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta
K...losing my mind here. A while back I came across (couple of weeks ago) a vendor down in Spanish Fork that was selling OEM parts/german oil/etc for cheap. Cannot find it now. Anyone know who this is?

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Not sure about Spanish Fork but Parts For Imports in Orem sells OEM/German stuff. Also I was at the Napa on State and 9200 South and noticed they had a good selection of Euro oils (Total and Liqui Moly) and such.

Sorry I can't be of any help down in Spanish Fork though...:(

SLVVR6

TDI
2000 Jetta
This guy had all kinds of german oils and filters, parts etc. I must be losing my mind....

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
If you find it would you mind posting it in this thread. Always a good reference to have.

skipdrag

TDI
2002 VW beetle TDI
New to this forum and owning a Diesel. A month ago I picked up a 2002 Beetle TDI with 89000 mile ans I ahve been very happy so far. My cummute changed from 8 miles a day to 47. I sold my old toyota truck that was getting 19 MPG and had 265000 miles. My 1st tank I got 44mpg and my 2nd I got 46.5. I am hoping to make it to 50 mpg at least a couple times.

Swim

TDI
Jetta
Hey guys,
New to the SLC area... I've got a couple TDI's that i need some help with. Anyone have a reasonable TDI guru that they like nearby? I'm sure I can do most of the work, I just need to figure out what to fix.. lol

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in Saratoga Springs.
Your welcome to hit me up there.

801-766-4449

Be sure to ask for Dan, tell whoever answers your from the TDI Club or they won't patch you through, I get approx 5-6 sales called pr day so I've trained them to intercept the calls.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Swim

TDI
Jetta
Thanks Dan, I'll give you a call here in the next couple days. I'm going to attempt some more diagnosing

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Hmmm. I've been looking for a reason to drive up to park city to see the fall colors

teledan

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5-speed manual
Hey all I just recently joined, my name is Dan and I am down in American Fork. I am actually cbass94's brother. I am in the market for a JSW and think I may have found one that I will hopefully be picking up in the next week or so. This will be my first TDI but I think I have a pretty good support system around me because between my brothers and my dad they have 4 VW TDIs, it will be 5 when I get mine :)

Swim

TDI
Jetta
Kerma, come on up and check out the fall colors! I just moved in, so my place is a disaster, with lots going on around the house... but, I'm around almost every day for the next week!!!

If you're an adult beverage kind of guy, I'll make sure to provide. If you're not, I've got coolers full of every sports drink and water known to mankind. I would love to learn from your experience.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
afaik only utah, davis, salt lake counties

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
If utah county does then that is a recent change because I have never in 3 years had a smog check on my jetta.

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
New guys.
If you decide to get a custom Tune for your TDI, Kerma is the bomb.
Hit him up.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

zodari

TDI
2000 Jetta
Which is the best? No offense to Kerma, as I know hes a local, but Who is better between a KermaTune and Malone? Ive been told Malone. I just rebuilt my 2000 ALH and have driving 3k on it, time to tune it for milage. I am currently overseas, but will be swapping that motor into a 1980 caddy when i get home, hoping for super milage as I work out on Dugway and drive 200 miles a day for work.

steveaut

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have been told that I ought to find a TDI guru in the Salt Lake County area to work on my vehicle.

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. Owned since 2007 or so. I have always taken it a dealer and for the most part, have been treated right. I usually get a discount and I never felt like I was lied to. That said, dealers are expensive and the vehicle now has 115k. Any trustworthy and cost effective TDI gurus that I should consider?

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Steve-
Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the delayed response. There are a couple of gurus listed in the salt lake area. Utah Imports and Alpine Auto are right downtown. I have had my car in to. Utah Imports before and they were ice and thorough. Another option is Streamline Industries in Sugarhouse - they are not a listed guru but I have a brother in law who had a b5.5 and it had been to them and I have talked to them on the phone and they are pretty good guys.
Most of my work has either been done by muscle or by Autobaun here in Utah county so I am sorry I cannot give you any more insight.

Good luck!

Jacob G

Veteran Member
TDI
04 TDI Golf, 83 Rabbit TDI, 07 Dodge Ram 6.7 Cummins, 85 Golf 1.6
Which is the best? No offense to Kerma, as I know hes a local, but Who is better between a KermaTune and Malone? Ive been told Malone. I just rebuilt my 2000 ALH and have driving 3k on it, time to tune it for milage. I am currently overseas, but will be swapping that motor into a 1980 caddy when i get home, hoping for super milage as I work out on Dugway and drive 200 miles a day for work.

I have had Charlie (Kerma) tune many of the TDI's that I have owned, A few tunes for family and friends as well. He does a great job. :)

MC5is1

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
New TDI owner... some questions for Utah TDI Owners...

Loving my new 2013 Golf TDI... Just had my first fill up yesterday after almost 600 miles on the first tank. Can't wait till the engine breaks in in the next 4000 miles so I can hopefully start getting these 40+ mpg's I see all over this forum.

Well the first fill up brought up a few questions as this is the first diesel I've ever owned.

First, the Diesel pump nozzle at the gas station (chevron at corner of state and 90th south near rio tinto) was to big to get into my Golf's tank opening. I was freaked out and had to walk around the pump a few timeso to make sure I was using the Diesel pump. I ended up just putting the nozzle as flush as I could get and pumped it in. I'm sure your not supposed to do that, but it actually worked fine and no mess either. But I would like to avoid that if possible. I read up on it a lot since yesterday and see that it is normal for many all over... but I wanted to hear from other TDI owners if this is common in Utah? So is the little adaptor tool worth it?

Second, I'm a little concerned about the whole lubricity issue I encountered while scouring the forums on the nozzle issue above. Lots of contrary advice but none I saw from TDI owners in Utah. So, does the Utah winter get cold enough to effect the TDI's performance, morning starts? Do any of you use Anti-Gelling additives or even the cetane boost additives? I don't mind paying for the additives IF it makes my car happier. FYI, My Golf is garaged parked, but it still gets freezing in that garage.

Any experiences and wisdom from TDI owners in the region is welcome, and thank you in advance!

Last edited:

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Hmmm - I never have had a problem with the diesel filler - generally the only ones you will have issues with are the ones for the BIG rigs - they have a larger filler nozzle - I do not think the adapter is necessary as I never have had to use one in my 3 years of ownership FWIW. Keep in mind I do live in Utah County however I commute to SLC daily as well so I see a lot of different stations.

I have never had a problem getting my TDI to start in the winter. The lowest I think I can recall starting is around 10-15 degrees. Worst case you may have to double cycle the glow plugs but mine has always started up and I would guess that your 2013 would only be better than my 2003 on that. I do not use anti gelling additives personally - there is no harm in doing that though. If you do make sure you get a good brand - standyne is available locally at a number of sources or you can order stuff from someone like kerma or idparts.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forums.