car wont start

TDI
1998 & 2000 New Beetle; 2000 Jetta
I just replace my injector pump with a 11mm started the car . tuned the cars injection quantity and turned off the car. Went to restart the car and the starter only clicks. The car will not turn over . I replaced the starter thinking a bad selunoid but that was not the problem. Checked the fuses on top of the battery and one of the fuses was pretty fried. replaced the fuse but the car still wont turn over..... Anyone have an idea of whats going on???

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
No start

Have you checked the battery cables. Next choice would be new battery time!:eek:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The first thing that comes to mind with a clicking solenoid is that the voltage supplied to it is too low.

Check the voltage at the battery, it should be over 12.5 v before trying to start the car. Charge it if needed. The rest of this assumes the battery has been charged.

Check the battery voltage during cranking, it should stay over 9.5 volts; the closer to 12.5 the better. If it drops too far the battery is not good.

Check the voltage drop between the battery and the positive terminal on the starter during the crank attempt, the voltage drop should be less than 1 volt; the less drop the better. If this number is too high, you have a bad cable or connection.

Check the voltage from the block to the negative terminal of the battery during cranking, if this is over .5 volts, your main engine block ground is bad, and needs to have the connections cleaned or the ground cable replaced.

If all of this is good, then your starter solenoid is starting to fail.

DanG

Last edited:
TDI
1998 & 2000 New Beetle; 2000 Jetta
got it!!!

Ended up being a bad groung under the battery box!!! wow all this time i thought my ign switch was going bad lol thanks for the help ,,,,;)