www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 4th, 2003, 12:40   #1
Dennisr

Default oil pan vulnerability

I see lots of post about fitting a new metal skid plate on my Jetta but I would like to know why this is not a stander part of this car. Driving down a show covered road in the winter and hitting the center bottm of the car in the snow is pretty common around here. I have already replace an oil pan because of this and I was not going over 10 MPH. I would like to know how common of a occurance this is. By the way it cost $356.00 for the repair at my local dealer. I have asked VW these same questions. My local dealer told me they replace lots of oil pans.
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 12:44   #2
MITBeta
Veteran Member

Default Re: oil pan vulnerability

I can't answer your question, but I can say that this is a relatively easy repair.

I busted my pan on a pothole in Boston... luckily the plastic pan was salvagable and only the aluminum pan required replacement.

The total dealer charge was in the neighborhood of $275, but the parts were only about $110...

This all happened before there was ever talk here on Fred's about a skid plate. So now I have to ask myself: Do I think that this will happen 3 more times? If so, then it's worth buying the skid plate... if not, then the skid plate is a waste of money... Maybe that's the same thing VW was thinking...
MITBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 12:50   #3
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Dennisr-

I had to replace my oil pan too, but it was because I hit a curb! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Are you sure there wasn't something under that snow that took out your oil pan?

The reason the steel plate is not standard probably comes down to the cost of a steel part versus molded plastic. The plastic unit works sufficiently to protect from water and (most) snow.

These cars aren't really any lower than most cars in their class (with stock suspensions/wheels). Don't know why these would be prone to any more oil pan replacements.

-tom
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 18:15   #4
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Oh you guys, go to www.dieselgeek.com and order a metal skid plate kit from Jim Royston. I have it on my car and I love it.

Today was a classic day: wet snow yesterday, nasty chuncks of ice today at intersections where the snow was plowed. I drive right through them and listen to the metal skid plate crush the ice as I pass over it. Do this with the POS OEM plastic belly pan and it will be destroyed. Earlier this week I hit something nasty on the freeway, and all I heard was the THUNK when it hit the metal skid plate. Without the metal skid plate the THUNK might have been the sound of a hole being made in the oil pan.

I agree with you completely that in North America the metal skid plate should be a standard part. It is not an aftermarket part, it was designed and is sold by VWAG!
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 18:31   #5
VelvetFoot
Veteran Member

The skid plate does seem to be a little lower to the ground though.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 20:37   #6
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

I found out that they are lower to the ground on the Beetles. The Original NB plate sat a little higher up in the chassis but isn't available anymore.

Jim
dieselgeek.com

Quote:
Originally posted by VelvetFoot:
The skid plate does seem to be a little lower to the ground though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
corrado tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 00:26   #7
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Tell me are they OEM (metal Skid plates) over seas. Because they have weather just as bad as ours and i don,t seem to see them complaining about pans. It would be nice to know.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 01:34   #8
Dennisr

I really don't know what I hit but I drive the same road everyday (its my driveway). I don't believe it could have been anything but hard snow.
It only leaked oil on the ground the last 30' before pulling into my garage.It did not damage the plastic pan at all, only the thin alumium oil pan had a small hole in it.
Old February 5th, 2003, 06:13   #9
Andi TDI

Yes there are.
I have a friend (golf IV TDI) who bust his oilpan hitting a rock on the road. The insurance paid for the pan and he had to add the price difference between the OEM plastic and metal skid plate.
Now he owns a brand new OEM skidplate.
Andi TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 07:23   #10
Brioscooter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43-45

So, the metal skid plates are an unadvertised option on VWs worldwide, it seems.
I suppose VWAG leaves it up to the dealers to recommend the upgrade to customers who have had their oil pan damaged.
But VW doesn't push it because they are making money replacing holed oil pans.
Sad...
Brioscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:27   #11
stayalert
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid forties

I holed my oil pan and for ~130 US dollars I got a replacemtn from the dealer. I think this included the sealant goop. For me it wasn't so mush the cost of doing the saem work a couple of more times it was the sever inconvienience of being late to an important meeting becuase my car got towed to my house. I like the steel pan but so feel that it reduces ground clearance. I still grit my teeth when I bottom out or hit something (happens EVRY day) I'm in the need of a suspension assessment and lift and/or larger diameter tires...Just my experience...Rob M Concord, MA
stayalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 08:54   #12
Dennisr

Does this not seem a bit unfair? I have been a driver for 36 years and have never before had to worry about hitting snow or rocks during 'normal' driving. This is not an offroad vehicle and I don't treat it as one but everyone is suggesting I install what I would consider an offroad skid plate. This should be something VW addresses. I am in contact with them and have asked for their explanation in writing. But I still wonder how often this happens, and to what % of the VW cars as compared to say the Honda Civic.
Old February 5th, 2003, 09:36   #13
Little_Stinker

Oh my, now I know where that oil leak/consumption problem is from. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] A car bumped a big piece of steel into the path of my TDI on I-65N in KY. This winter I have dragged bottom several times in snow, too. I am going underneath today to review the damage. Where can I find a pic of the steel pan? I do lots of fabricating, perhaps I can cobble one up for less than the $300.00+ that I am hearing about here.
Little_Stinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 09:41   #14
MOGolf
Veteran Member

See this thread.

There is mounting hardware besides the actual skid plate.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2003, 11:26   #15
SilverPASV

Quote:
Originally posted by Brioscooter:
So, the metal skid plates are an unadvertised option on VWs worldwide, it seems.
I suppose VWAG leaves it up to the dealers to recommend the upgrade to customers who have had their oil pan damaged.
But VW doesn't push it because they are making money replacing holed oil pans.
Sad...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My dealer didn't know the metal one existed. All the parts have now arrived but with the bad weather in the UK I haven't been able to collect it. Don't want to chance damage to the car picking up something to protect it - that'd be my luck.
SilverPASV is offline   Reply With Quote