West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - Oct. 5th, 2019

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
YAY! Made my reservation and I'm bringing cigars!

BOO! There must be a football game that weekend, rates are high.

Whatever, price is worth it to see a bunch of great guys, even Tomo... ;)

Kirk, any detours or road construction we need to know about? Last year the interchange of Rt-131 & Rt.57 was closed for repairs. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn North (behind some large strip mall complex) so I'm driving up about 15 miles from the South.

:)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Hotel rates are high. I booked several weeks ago and they were already high.

It'll be good to see you, Brian!

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Well, I want to come, I need to get an immo delete done on one of my ecus and I need to get stage 5 put on my jetta up from stage 3.

Its just going be a long drive from Oklahoma (14hrs). I managed to get friday off so I can get a head start on the trip in case I blow a boost pipe or some nonsense.

Anyone know of a good place to pitch a tent around there? Most hotels wont let me stay because im not 21. (20) Plus im cheap. Trying to get through college right now lol. I may bring some random tdi parts for sale too. Probably a couple 10mm pumps and whatever else I can think of.

Thanks guys!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf

Kirk, any detours or road construction we need to know about? Last year the interchange of Rt-131 & Rt.57 was closed for repairs. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn North (behind some large strip mall complex) so I'm driving up about 15 miles from the South.

Yeah Brian, glad you can make it!

US 131 is open (both south and northbound), however I think I-196 from GR towards Holland has some lane closures/detours, just follow the signs ( I think)

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Well, I want to come, I need to get an immo delete done on one of my ecus and I need to get stage 5 put on my jetta up from stage 3.

Its just going be a long drive from Oklahoma (14hrs). I managed to get friday off so I can get a head start on the trip in case I blow a boost pipe or some nonsense.

Anyone know of a good place to pitch a tent around there? Most hotels wont let me stay because im not 21. (20) Plus im cheap. Trying to get through college right now lol. I may bring some random tdi parts for sale too. Probably a couple 10mm pumps and whatever else I can think of.

Thanks guys!
We have 4 acres of woods, and there are plenty of places to pitch a tent, should you make the trek.

Kirk

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
US 131 is open (both south and northbound), however I think I-196 from GR towards Holland has some lane closures/detours, just follow the signs ( I think)
Correct as I just did that yesterday since I paid Kirk a visit. It is one lane on I-196 thru Hudsonville to the MI-6 interchange. Got backed up a bit but wasn't too bad once everyone was in the single lane.

Anyone coming from Illinois (looking at Brian right now - LOL!) be advised where I-196 starts at I-94 it is one lane thru there in both directions to south of South Haven but keeps moving. There also was one lane out of three closed on I-94 in the Stevensville, MI area.

Also, for anyone coming from Lansing on I-96 to/from Grand Rapids (this would be Marty if he makes it):

East of US-131 I saw that I-96 is closed at Leonard Street to all eastbound traffic while the westbound lanes are still open. This project is supposed to finish in late October which won't help us with an October 5 GTG date.

Here is the detour info should anyone need it:

EB I-96 traffic should use Southbound US-131 to EB I-196 in downtown Grand Rapids. EB I-196 will continue into EB I-96 towards Lansing.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years

OK now I see I've got to up my game in the cigar department... off to Nolan's :D

TDI4MI

TDI
00 GOLF ALH 1.9 TDI MKIV
Sounds great!

I will put this on my calendar... Marshall, MI here...

Curious, if anyone has recommendations: I need timing done, and I have never done this. Would love for someone to show me, and help along with. Does anyone know who could help or do better than a shop in MI? My car seems to smoke a bit and rich.

2000 Golf ALH MK4...

Fred

Kzootrader

TDI
2015 Q7
I'm a new member from Kalamazoo and will try to attend next weekend. I just bought a 2015 Q7 TDI. Pure new guy everything to learn.

Mike

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I'm 99% sure there will be someone there that can help in checking your timing via VCDS. I'd volunteer but I'm not sure I'll have a laptop by then. Just in case you don't know, the timing may not be the whole story on your smoking with many other contributing factors to be considered too. At the very least, this will be a great starting point in your quest for a great running TDI.

I will put this on my calendar... Marshall, MI here...
Curious, if anyone has recommendations: I need timing done, and I have never done this. Would love for someone to show me, and help along with. Does anyone know who could help or do better than a shop in MI? My car seems to smoke a bit and rich.
2000 Golf ALH MK4...
Fred

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
After discussing it with my Father on Friday, there might be 3 Generations of Growler at this GTG.

Kirk, Do you think your place can handle it? :D

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Wow...That's a lot of Growling to contend with!;)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Maybe not - when I went past the Millersport exit on I-70 yesterday didn't hear any growling. :p

Per weather forecast looks like a cool one - low of 41 Friday night, high of 56 on Saturday with PM showers. Warm and sunny it's not going to be - but I'd love to be wrong here!

Anyone hear if the Electric Boys* are coming this time?
(*That's Lawson and Jason)

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
After discussing it with my Father on Friday, there might be 3 Generations of Growler at this GTG.

Kirk, Do you think your place can handle it? :D
Aaron,

Love to have all of you there, no problem!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI - If it's not raining too bad, my Dad will probably ride one of his vintage bikes up from Battle Creek to the GTG. This year, I think he's bringing the late 60's /2 BMW with sidecar with an aircooled VW engine transplant into it - a unique, albeit small piece of motorcycle history!

dieselnewbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Hi Kirk,
I think i’ll Be heading up your way as well, though I can’t stay as long as i’d like. May bring a head along for Frank if he’s there, and I need a remote programmed. Looking forward to seeing the “ole stomping grounds” again - even if my college in Cedar Springs is gone!

crdouger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 & 06 jetta TDI's
Kirk, I'll have my 2012 Passat there and I'd love some help diagnosing a medium sized weird bump/clunk in the right rear corner of the car. I'm hoping we can find if there is bushing or shock that gave out. Maybe somebody can help me pry on things and find the loose spot.

Looking forward to it!

Crdouger

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Great to hear Lloyd (dieselnewbie) is coming! Missed you last year when you were a no show.

From what Kirk told me Frank is invited/knows about this GTG but hasn't committed to attending as of last week. Hope he makes it as it's always good to see him. Know it's a long trek from Missouri to attend...

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
For the out-of-towners, dinner plans Friday eve? I'm open to anything.