Overheating ONLY at highway speeds

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hi. Did you manage to find the cause? I am having the same issue on a different model Tdi

This a very old Thread.

Yes, he did find the cause ......... bad head gasket. The info is on page two of this Thread.

To be clear, coolant circulation through the expansion tank is constant, regardless of T-stat function. Coolant leaves the head via a very small stainless steel pipe which has a small black hose connected to it that leads over to the expansion tank. From there coolant flows out the bottom of the expansion tank to the black metal pipe going into the back of the Water Pump housing (location of the T-stat). Also, coolant constantly circulates through the EGR and Heater systems and returns via the same black metal pipe to the WP housing (cast in the block). When that coolant gets hot it will open the T-stat, which is a gradual process... it just doesn't pop open fully.

Pressure in the system at full operating temp should range from about 7 psi to no more than 12 psi.

tat2

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi black. 2014 jetta tdi black
Hi. Did you manage to find the cause? I am having the same issue on a different model Tdi

check your hoses if they are very soft and spongy change them. at highway speeds the pressure from the pump circulating the coolant can collapse your hoses but when your driving around the city not going as fast the coolant flows but its not enough pressure built up to collapse them. hope this helps.

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
I also have similar problem
Car overheated on the highway and there was no cabin heating.
Mechanic somehow ruled out thermostat water pump and heater core and decided to replace head gasket but the problem still persists
It is 2010 A3 1.6 TDI

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I also have similar problem
Car overheated on the highway and there was no cabin heating.
Mechanic somehow ruled out thermostat water pump and heater core and decided to replace head gasket but the problem still persists
It is 2010 A3 1.6 TDI
changing a head gasket with-out checking basic things 1st is not a good mechanic if You ask me.? "he should of been more thorough on checking basics things 1st as follows..." would You not agree.?

- coolant Level & coloure ?
- Rad fan is it coming on ?
- change the thermostat ?

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
changing a head gasket with-out checking basic things 1st is not a good mechanic if You ask me.? "he should of been more thorough on checking basics things 1st as follows..." would You not agree.?

- coolant Level & coloure ?
- Rad fan is it coming on ?
- change the thermostat ?
He claims he checked all of it
Not sure how but i asked for each part specifically and he had some explanation for each of them and sounded very confident about head gasket

Seems like im not the only one with this issue
Look at this post #7 in the linked thread specifically
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...6-TDI-Overheating-issue?p=1089814#post1089814

Last edited:

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
He claims he checked all of it
Not sure how but i asked for each part specifically and he had some explanation for each of them and sounded very confident about head gasket

Seems like im not the only one with this issue
Look at this post #7 in the linked thread specifically
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...his valve has a tiny hole and it got clogged.