What a great brake rotor

fireofficer001

TDI
2002 golf
Whats a great brake rotor

I drive fast and brake hard so I guess that heats them up and they warp. I pick up a set of up graded ones from id auto and they warp to and yes im hard on them, any info would be nice. I had a set of slotted ones on a different car and when i braked it sounded like grinding when i stop hard and I did not like that, thx

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I drive fast and brake hard so I guess that heats them up and they warp. I pick up a set of up graded ones from id auto and they warp to and yes im hard on them, any info would be nice. I had a set of slotted ones on a different car and when i braked it sounded like grinding when i stop hard and I did not like that, thx
Do you have a question?

Bill

japedo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI CL 6MT
As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat the quality of a brembo rotors.
They are worth the extra money in my opinion.

I ordered brembo rotors thru www.fcpeuro.com once for a Volvo.
They sell vw stuff as well.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Did you follow the bedding in procedure as indicated in your brake rotors and pads' instructions?

Are we talking front or rear brakes? When do they warp? How do you know they warp?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Trw and bed them in properly, slotted grooved or whatever are just for show, any decent brand of regular discs is just as good but yeh, I like the trw's and I'm hard on them.

Do you have a question?

Bill
Do you not speak gibberish? You can try google translate :D

fireofficer001

TDI
2002 golf
Front brakes, and no brake in, and my steering wheel shakes only when i apply my brakes and the faster i go the harder the shake, And the front end tight and i have new tires,

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the callipers are all free and clean?

You could try bedding them in now, might work. Take the car up to like 80-90mph and slam the brakes on hard till your down to say 20 or so then repeat and keep repeating till you can really smell the brakes then just take a gentle cruise to let them cool down again.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh but for bedding in you have to do it over and over till the brakes get red hot. I used this method on mine and they're excellent, I can go from mental to sensible in a flash now, no wobble or vibrations or anything. Mine are the 288's and they're trw.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Are you sure the problem isn't with your lower control arm bushings? That will cause a shake during braking as well...

Yuri

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Arrrrg Yuri beat me to it

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Interesting. I think I may also need to replace my rear control arm bushings. After I replaced all four brakes last year, it wasn't long before I noticed an annoying shake while braking.

At first I figured it was warped rotors, but it doesn't really feel like warped rotors exactly. The shaking is not really consistent, and it seems like it doesn't happen much during light braking or hard braking.

It all makes sense now. During moderate braking, the control arms shake. During light braking, they don't. During hard braking they don't, because the strain on the control arms keeps them at the far extent of the looseness.

Now I just have to figure out how much of a PITA it is to change them...

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've read this many times about the bushes but the lca's were sitting on the subframe of my car because the bushes were so shot but braking was super smooth still. When I took them out to swap they just fell apart because they were so bad.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeh but for bedding in you have to do it over and over till the brakes get red hot. I used this method on mine and they're excellent, I can go from mental to sensible in a flash now, no wobble or vibrations or anything. Mine are the 288's and they're trw.
Not sure if serious.... :confused:

The way I bed in my TRW and Zimmermann combo is by braking very lightly until that gray layer wears off and the brakes stop stinking. Then I drive normally for a few hundred km, and allow the brakes to cool off if I happen to bake hard. After that anything goes. Haven't had a problem even though I beat the crap out of my car. The rear started warping once but that was due to a seized handbrake lever.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Rotors don't warp, and the proper bed in is 60mph down to 10mph repeated 10times, allow cooling and repeat. The harder, the better! No time to be gentle with new pads and rotors.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure if serious.... :confused:

The way I bed in my TRW and Zimmermann combo is by braking very lightly until that gray layer wears off and the brakes stop stinking. Then I drive normally for a few hundred km, and allow the brakes to cool off if I happen to bake hard. After that anything goes. Haven't had a problem even though I beat the crap out of my car. The rear started warping once but that was due to a seized handbrake lever.

Totally serious, I read up on it and gave it a go, never looked back since and always use that method now. It's to do with getting them hot enough for transferring material from the pads to the discs.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
What's the point of braking hard from the get go instead of taking it easy for a while until there is nice and even contact between the pads and rotors? What's the rush? It's not like braking gently will create hot spots or warped rotors.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Nope, but not bedding them in leaves a lot of brake performance on the table, since you will forever be using metal against brake pad material, rather than brake pad material against brake pad material, which has much more grip.

Also if you do randomly brake hard every now and then you will have patches of brake pad material and patches of metal to brake against and you will think your rotors are warped.,.again. :) :)

Those are good links above...well worth a careful read.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My own personal approach is to be gentle for about 100 km to allow for the rotor coating to wear off and the pads to create even contact, and then find a lonely stretch of highway and bed 'em in. Instant and dramatic increase in performance.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, but not bedding them in leaves a lot of brake performance on the table, since you will forever be using metal against brake pad material, rather than brake pad material against brake pad material, which has much more grip.

Also if you do randomly brake hard every now and then you will have patches of brake pad material and patches of metal to brake against and you will think your rotors are warped.,.again. :) :)

Those are good links above...well worth a careful read.

What prevents a driver from braking hard and bedding in the brakes once they're not new anymore? Also what happens if I leave my car sit for a few weeks and rust forms on the rotors? If I brake and wear off the rust, what happens to the thin layer of pad that was or should have been on the rotors? No way to re-bed the brakes? I'm kind of skeptical about this whole bedding in procedure.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What prevents a driver from <snip snip snip> bedding in the brakes once they're not new anymore?

Nothing... assuming the rotors and pads are in good shape you can bed them in whenever you want... and re-bed them if need be.

And... you don't have to bed them. The only effect is that you're leaving brake performance on the table... and maybe they work fine for you as is.

What *is* challanging to do is put an even coat of brake pad material on a rotor that has a patchy coat... ie was bedded in a hap-hazard fashion, was "bedded" accidentally during a panic stop that deposited a large amount of material where the pads and rotor rested for a while, etc. The diagnose of "warped rotor" is the usual outcome. :)

To be clear... just giving my perspective here... not trying to sell anyone anything. If you think it's a crock carry on. :)

Last edited:

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
realistically, it won't matter all that much to do a bed in procedure. I know that there is no way I would do that to all the vehicles that came through the shop for brakes!

Also, this does not apply to rears as it would be very hard to get them hot enough to do a bed in.

What the real issue is, at least in my area, is people that baby their brakes. If you are way to light on your brakes the pads develop areas that they don't hit the rotors. Either from rusty calipers, dry slides, and so forth. Rust builds up on these areas that don't receive constant contact which in turn causes that warped rotor feel.

Ive replaced more rotors due to granny driving then anything else. Ive also fixed a lot of "warped" rotors by just beating on them as hard as I can, which sometimes knocks down the rough or high spots.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's the point of braking hard from the get go instead of taking it easy for a while until there is nice and even contact between the pads and rotors? What's the rush? It's not like braking gently will create hot spots or warped rotors.

I wasn't sure if it was worth it either but decided to give it a go and my brakes are fantastic. I would recommend trying it for yourself.

The main thing I've noticed is like going form 80-90 down to like 30mph in a hurry, I hit the brakes hard and I'm there, they just seem to bite harder when I really need them the most. The speed at which I slowed down the first time I tried it just blew me away!
No judder, no pull, no fade, nothing, just felt totally hassle free and instant.