Buying & Selling TDIs? Read this first!!

keithepoynter

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Ok, newbie here also - at least to the TDI club. I have been driving VW's since my mom passed down her Rabbit to me in '85. Drove VW Westies so I know what its like to pay for parts and maintenance. Currently own a 2002 Golf TDI and it rocks! Though looking to get a wagon for more room - the family thing. Anyhow, just wanted to add that I read the initial post and found it somewhat informative though a bit cynical at times. I suppose it likely gets tiring to have folks who don't really know cars try to convince people in the know that they know better. I'm street wise enough to know that I am going to stick with changing my oil, bulbs, swapping tires, etc and looking friends with the smarts to actually do real work than to pretend otherwise. Thanks for the post and the heads up. sound like I better watch my step...

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta DSG TDI SportWagen-3M tinted windows all windows to meet specs set by police for Utah-helps in the desert heat-BIG TIME!
Any help in any area for a newbie on selling a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 6000 miles would be greatly appreciated. I need help (I have read the article by DarkScout and it was a hugh help. I would like to see some ads on eBay, if anybody knows of some god ads, other places to sell cars like Carmax and others. On short, I need all the help I can get. I even need a camera so suggestions there would be a help. any paperwork from the DMV to have ahead of time, or if the Title is in my name, what I would need. I do not even have a camera so a good reference would be a big help.

also, places to think about placing the ad, things I should do to the car before I have people start looking at the car. I have thought of eBay, but I would like to look at some other online car dealerships like Carmax. Any suggestions in all the areas so I could be as prepared as possibel would be helpful.

husky 1

TDI
2001 jetta tdi totaled out 2013 tdi jetta clean diesel
luck of the draw

Was searching high and low for the coveted TDI but was concerned about high mileage and high price range then the 2.0 l mk 3 **** the bed so now I was in dire need of a car I had been searching all over eBay Craigslist even had updates posting to my phone and mechanic so I find a sweet deal in new Hampshire and was set to leave on a friday. My wifey says let's do lunch at this joint in pa and were driving down rt 33 and I whip my head over to see a stunning reflex silver TDI getting stripped of it tags so we Damn near jumped the guard rail I ran up to the guy and yelled sold he looked and laughed and said we just got this right now the original owner was still there wow I can't believe my luck so Ii jump in too take a look at the car and it was in mint condition and loaded to boot I started the car and saw the odometer read 18,910 and it was a 2001 mk 4 TDI and this was early 2010 could this be true it sure was and I bought that sucker on the spot completely in love with this car I had 1 small overboosting issue due to clogged turbo vanes easy fix though just goes to show that if u have patients and r willing to hold out you might just find the deal of a lifetime I did !!! Ps I am now adding some power and am loving every minute of it

Kooler

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta DSG TDI SportWagen-3M tinted windows all windows to meet specs set by police for Utah-helps in the desert heat-BIG TIME!
husky-
Good deal for you. I am trying to get some ideas on how to sell my car.

rick156

TDI
02 JETTA
Great info, I'm a newbie for posting, but i used this site very much for for troubleshooting. Thinking about selling my 02 Jetta.

jhuntsman

TDI
Don't own just yet
I'm not sure who I go to on this but I posted an 05 Passat for sale a few weeks ago and it appears that it was removed. Did I do something wrong that it was removed? Jim

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Newbie here who has read the thread, but to be fair it was only after about ten hours of other threads on the site, thanks for the info.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
Read it....... great thread

Last edited:

Sluggo7

TDI
1998 Jetta
1998 VW Jetta TDI for sale

I have owned this black Jetta since brand new and am in Jessup, Pennsylvania zip 18434. The car has had regular maintenance done by me since I've had it. It has been driven primarily by my wife and has only 72,000 miles on it. I changed the timing belt at 65,000 along with the other belts and installed a K&N air filter at that time. The fuel filter has been replaced every 20,000 miles. It has new front struts, brakes all around, tires, battery and alignment. I have used Mobil 1 Delvac full synthetic engine oil every 5,000 miles and have kept a complete log of any repairs I did in the owners manual. It has been fed a steady diet of Power Service fuel conditioner for the last 7 years and gets roughly 41 mpg in town. The catalytic converter is gone. Included are the factory service manual and timing belt tools plus a few oil filters and whatever Delvac I have left. I am hoping for $4000 for this machine. I am in no hurry to sell it, but it is our second vehicle and we are cutting back on expenses.
You may reach me at 570 383-3217 or at penguins.rookery@hotmail.com for questions or photos.

thanks,

Joe Hlavaty

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I have owned this black Jetta since brand new and am in Jessup, Pennsylvania zip 18434. The car has had regular maintenance done by me since I've had it. It has been driven primarily by my wife and has only 72,000 miles on it. I changed the timing belt at 65,000 along with the other belts and installed a K&N air filter at that time. The fuel filter has been replaced every 20,000 miles. It has new front struts, brakes all around, tires, battery and alignment. I have used Mobil 1 Delvac full synthetic engine oil every 5,000 miles and have kept a complete log of any repairs I did in the owners manual. It has been fed a steady diet of Power Service fuel conditioner for the last 7 years and gets roughly 41 mpg in town. The catalytic converter is gone. Included are the factory service manual and timing belt tools plus a few oil filters and whatever Delvac I have left. I am hoping for $4000 for this machine. I am in no hurry to sell it, but it is our second vehicle and we are cutting back on expenses.
You may reach me at 570 383-3217 or at penguins.rookery@hotmail.com for questions or photos.

thanks,

Joe Hlavaty
Might want to start a new thread instead of posting it in here.

5CarFan

TDI
None... yet
But....do you honestly believe the Newbie........is going to read this????
I have my doubts........
I sure did. I am a newbie... and this is EXACTLY the type of post I was hoping to find! Thanks for the fantastic info! I am on to the RSS feeds just as you have suggested!:)

Terrawombat

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Great post - took a few minutes out of my day to give a good read. Even though I knew KBB and NADA were pricing these cars low, I still tried to use it to negotiate with a seller. I threw him out what I thought was a fair price, he balked told me to meet him in the middle. I stuck to my budget and politely declined and drove home. On the way back I got a phone call back saying he was willing to accept my offer. Should be in an 5-speed '02 Golf 4-door TDI this weekend.

Joseph Kraig

TDI
1997 Passat
I had a similar experience. I have had 3, 1997 Passats. They seem to be magnets for other cars. Two of them were totaled with me in them, the third I will be selling soon. I was just looking on Craigs list and saw a 2005 Passat (TDI of course) for $7500. I didn't know anything about the 2005, it was a 5 speed automatic, but I called and said when can I pick it up. I was driving in home a couple of hours later.

I had to put in a new torque converter and the alternator quit on me after 600 miles but I really like the car, but then again I guess I'm not picky, I really loved my '97's. My 97's all got about the same milage, 42-43 at 80 or so miles per hour. I drive between Louisville, Kentucky and Ft Meyers, Florida several times a year. The trip is a little over 1000 miles. It cost half of what my wife's van cost in gas to drive down and only have to stop once for fuel. I don't think VW are really very good cars but their diesel engines are very hard to beat. I really like having a car that can drive for 14 hours and stop only one time for fuel. The 97 and 2005 both cruise at 80 or so at a little over 2500 rpm's.

By the way I will be listing my 97 here soon, I think it is worth $4500 but my wife tells me I'm crazy. I will probably list if for less than that. If anyone has any ideas what it should be worth please don't hesitate to advise me.

Last edited:

90HorseBeetle

TDI
2002 Golf GL 5sp 2 door "Unicorn" 1999 Beetle TDi RIP 2013 Passat TDi SEL SOLD 2009 Jetta TDi M6 SOLD 2000 Beetle TDi SOLD
Great thread; I even learned why I am still a newbie!

I lucked into my first TDi, at a local VW dealer, and after I drove a Jetta TDi Cup, and a JSW I stumbled over a 2000 NB with only 61k miles, which turned out to be a diamond in the rough (and imo drives better than the new ones). 30k later I am looking for that elusive 03 Wagon, but going to settle for something else so I can get back to work.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Preparing to sell a car or item on TDIClub??

READ THIS THREAD FIRST!!!

theFATman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
useful info. but what about trade in values... i have 2000 white mk4 with 185k miles, is now due for timing belt, and surely needs shocks but otherwise has been taken care of correctly largely using the wonderful advice i've found on this site over the years. knowing that it would need ~$2000 worth of work to make it last another few years correctly is a trade of $3000 worth it? or am i getting ripped?