Senate preps for fight w/ House & White House

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL - Platinum Grey
Looks like the Senate gearing up for a fight and is actually putting some money behind alternative fuels and biodiesel in particular. From http://www.facilitiesnet.com/news/article2.asp?id=3044 :

Heading toward a collision with the House and White House, the Senate sought Thursday to put an environmentally friendly stamp on its energy legislation as lawmakers and President Bush struggle to agree on an elusive national power policy, The New York Times reported.

In an effort to strengthen their hand in looming negotiations with the House, senators voted 52 to 48 to require power companies to use more renewable fuels like wind and solar power to generate electricity. At the same time, the Finance Committee approved a $14 billion tax incentive package that rewards alternative fuels and energy efficiency.
According to www.greencarcongress.com the senate version has support from both the ranking Republican and Democrat (Domenici, R-NM and Bingaman, D-NM) on the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.

It also requires a national 10% RPS on electricity generation by 2020.

Here's a link to the actual bill. A quick skim reveals that Sections 204, 205 and 724 pertain to biodiesel directly.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:s10pcs.txt.pdf

RobertB

Veteran Member
TDI
Green 2001 Beetle
Interesting that the Senators from New Mexico are the ones pushing for renewables. NM doesn't stand to benefit from subsidized oilseed production -- at least, not like the midwestern states with their massive soy fields. On the other hand, the vast oil-bearing algae farms will be a great fit for the sunshine and sour water available in places like Claunch, NM -- I've been there, and as you can tell by the pictures, it's not exactly desert sand, but it's not exactly lush, either.

Who are the big BD proponents in the House?

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS
New Mexico? Probably not good for oilseed production, true. Plenty of opportunity for solar production, though...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
[self-censored]Reality-driven acknowledgement removed to avoid offending majority/moderator 'sensibilities.'[/self-censored]

Uhh, er, I mean: GO BIODIESEL, GO!!! Yeeeaaaahahahahha, Biodiesel! Rah rah rah!

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
[self-censored]Reality-driven acknowledgement removed to avoid offending majority/moderator 'sensibilities.'[/self-censored]

Uhh, er, I mean: GO BIODIESEL, GO!!! Yeeeaaaahahahahha, Biodiesel! Rah rah rah!
Excuse me Nick. I think you dripped some sarcasm on my shoe...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I can't say anything. Reality might accidentally intrude on the conversation...well, we know where that might end up....'

**slaps own wrist for even **thinking** in non-newspeak. toward self: must control thoughts...must rejoin hive mind. self bad! groupthink good

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
I can't say anything. Reality might accidentally intrude on the conversation...well, we know where that might end up....'

**slaps own wrist for even **thinking** in non-newspeak. toward self: must control thoughts...must rejoin hive mind. self bad! groupthink good
Stop it! I'm not allowed to laugh that long and hard at work! Especially out loud!

Dr. Stink: RPS? Could you explain that TLA? (Three letter Acronym?)

moondawg

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI

Stop it! I'm not allowed to laugh that long and hard at work! Especially out loud!

Dr. Stink: RPS? Could you explain that TLA? (Three letter Acronym?)

moondawg
Sorry. RPS is Renewable Portfolio Standard. It's government-speak for the percentage of electricity produced from renewables.

For example, CT has a voluntary 20% by 2010 campaign. (Yes, that's twenty percent by 2010, as compared to the national ten percent by 2020 RPS in the Senate bill.)

However, that goal is backed by legally mandated RPS. Under the CT RPS, electric providers must meet the standard with at least 7% Class I renewables and 3% Class I or II renewables by January 1, 2010.

Class I renewable-energy sources include solar, wind, new sustainable biomass, landfill gas and fuel cells (renewable or non-renewable fuel). RPS revisions enacted in June 2003 added ocean thermal power, wave or tidal power, low-emission advanced renewable-energy conversion technologies, and new run-of-the-river hydropower that has a maximum capacity of 5 MW to the list. Class II renewable-energy sources include trash-to-energy facilities, biomass facilities not included in Class I and certain approved hydropower facilities.

I also have the option to pay a small surcharge for green power on my utility bill. Two providers, and two tiers (50 vs 100%) are available. One provides 33% wind, 33% small hydroelectric and 34% landfill gas for 0.575 or 1.15 cents per kWh (50 vs 100% green) while other provides 60% wind and 40% landfill gas for 0.65 or 1.3 cents per kWh. We aren't signed up yet, but only because we haven't mailed in the form yet.

Nor is CT the only state enacting an RPS. Here's a summary as of Dec 2004.
http://www.ucsusa.org/documents/State_Renewable_Energy_Standards.pdf

Off the top of my head, the NYS RPS has a 25% by 2013 target while RI has a 16% by 2019 target.

Since the senator from New Mexico supports the national RPS, I did a quick search. Looks like NW has a 5% by '06 RPS that reaches 11% by 2010.

In short, if the pro-coal lobby and senators don't derail it, a national RPS is certainly feasible.