I cleaned my intake and EGR this weekend

SlothLuvChunk

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2000
So some of you will remember me asking a few weeks ago "what's wrong with my TDI ... it's totally gutless."

After much research it seemed that cleaning the intake manifold was in order - after 97k on a 2000 Golf GLS it seemed to be time. (I was guessing that the last two owners had never done this, leaving 75k of buildup before I got the car almost two years ago)

So I downloaded the how-to available here, and followed it to a T.
I read through several times during the week to make a list of tools needed, and to familiarize myself with the project.

I got the first hose off (from intake to EGR) and didn't see anything but some black residue inside. I got a bit worried and thought "great, it isn't my intake afterall..."

I thougt to myself "wait, the clogging has to be post-exhaust right, so I shouldn't see buildup on this side of the EGR"
Sure enough, I went ahead and removed the EGR, and this is what I saw on the EGR, and on the Manifold

EGR:

Manifold:

Needless to say it was WAY dirty. I went ahead and did the best I could cleaning it out. I wasn't able to get it as clean as the professional jobs I've seen in pictures here, but with some elbow-grease and a can of degreaser, I got down to the metal.

It took me longer than 5 hours, by quite a bit. But there are a couple of factors to consider: 1) I work with wood, but not with cars - I've only changed oil before this 2) I could've done some things much faster with a slightly different tool lineup.

I can't even explain the difference in driving this has had. Suddenly at 3k RPM the thing wakes up and throws me back into the seat. Before this cleaning I couldn't even reach 3800 RPM in second gear with the pedal shoved through the floor. Suddenly it feels like a race car.
No more smoke out the back, and I'm sure my gas mileage will improve as well.

I can't wait for new injectors! Now how hard is that job in relation to the IM cleaning I just did?

Next week: oil change/fuel filter change.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
congrats. Good job.

Injectors.

Vise, REALLY bolted down. Clamp down ones won't cut it. 15 mm deep well socket and a 24" breaker bar. torque wrench, 17MM Hazet offset wrench for the fuel lines. Brake cleaner, 1 meter of replacement fuel return line. 13mm socket for the injector hold down bolts. 4 new crush washers and a slide hammer to get them out. Trust me on this one.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
Good to hear. I see yours was way more clogged than mine. Mine had 109000 miles on it. Glad you got that crud out. Now you will enjoy your TDI.

SlothLuvChunk

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2000
Thanks Jason - Hopefully I'll find a detailed howto that will make sense of all the tool advise you just gave me.

I hope I don't make any of the veterans here cringe, but I was able to do this without removing the exhaust cooler completely. I removed the bolts holding it to the manifold, and had enough slack in the hoses to simply move it up and to the side.

Also, with the plunger assembly on the EGR - there was no mention of it in the howto that I could find. I didn't want to break anything, so I simply unclipped the whole thing and removed it with the EGR, removing the vacuum lines from their "Y" split a little further up the line. Was this the wrong thing comletely to do? (I saw you lambast someone about this in another recent intake thread).
I don't claim to know what I'm doing here - just trying to get some experience, and learn some helpful hints from the pros if I can.

If I do have to do this job again, or am able to help someone locally to do it, I want to know that I'm helping them do it the "right" way.

Thanks to all of you for your advice, and help. Once again the information I've gleaned here has greatly helped me - and saved me a bit of $$. (A hefty bit to be sure)

Thanks again... And if you ever need help on pianos, I'm your man! *grin*

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
The plunger assembly I think you are referring to the anti shudder valve. You can remove this, though its recommended that you cut the vacuum hose to it (and get a vacuum hose splice for it).

xsamx

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf Black
Wow thats one of the worst i've seen yet! Great job cleaning! Now start driving it like you stole it and do one of the three and this might not happen again,
1. Block off EGR
2. Make CCV filter
3. Dial back EGR w\ Vag-Com

Good luck w\ the nozzles, the entire job took me like 2 hours, but I cleaned everything very well.. Probably spent more time cleaning then Installing.