2002 golf redneck

Redneck70

TDI
2001 golf
I have an issue, that when I start the engine ( more when the engine is hot). The motor will do a severe violent shake and have to shut down immediately. I re-start it and it's fine.
It's been doing it for the last 2 years...much worse in hot weather..
I changed the glow plug module..
New glow plugs.
New harness to throttle plate.
Fuel filter.
Motor mounts.
And cleaned up the throttle body.
I have no check engine light (anymore)
But still have the same issue..
Anything I'm not checking?

Redneck70

TDI
2001 golf
Checked it and was good..
And it's worse the hotter it is outside.
Don't get it. Almost think it's electrical.
When I first go to crank it after the glow plug light goes off, it turns over but almost feels like the battery is dying. I turn back the key and do it again and fires right up.
Thanks for trying to help.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Checked it and was good..
And it's worse the hotter it is outside.
Don't get it. Almost think it's electrical.
When I first go to crank it after the glow plug light goes off, it turns over but almost feels like the battery is dying. I turn back the key and do it again and fires right up.
Thanks for trying to help.

I had an MKIV that did this on occasion...for miles and miles. It was almost never when it was from a cold start but after I had it running and restarted it soon after. It would violently shake and I'd kill it immediately. It would then restart without issue - smooth as glass. I think it had something to do with timing to some degree. Never did figure it out. It went on like that infrequently for the remainder of it's life.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking through that thread above, it appears there aren't obvious fixes. The battery and startup speed seems plausible. Thinking about it, I don't know that it was still plaguing me at the end of it's life so maybe a batter did fix it.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
...and maybe not just the battery but the starter could be weak, too...so getting juice in various formats.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Maybe the pressure relief valve in the IP has come apart?
Or if it's called the housing/case relief valve???

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Be curious to know what your timing is set to/like.

Shortly after I did the clutch on my wife's car I had this most gawd-awful violent shake and the sound of rattling cans occur from a warm start: car died immediately (or I let off the key, can't recall). Being the paranoid person I am I figured my new clutch job had just shat itself. In 4k miles since the clutch job that has been the only instance of this happening. I KNOW that this car's timing is set really high (top line and slightly above) and also that the IQ probably needs attention (very slight slow-down shudder). Based on what I'd read in the thread linked to above by Fletchman (thank you for that) I'm thinking that, at least in my case, that it's an issue of pre-ignition- warm engine, advanced timing and lower IQ with, perhaps, a slightly slow cranking speed, is, under a perfect conversion, causing a pre-ignition situation.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Be curious to know what your timing is set to/like.

Shortly after I did the clutch on my wife's car I had this most gawd-awful violent shake and the sound of rattling cans occur from a warm start: car died immediately (or I let off the key, can't recall). Being the paranoid person I am I figured my new clutch job had just shat itself. In 4k miles since the clutch job that has been the only instance of this happening. I KNOW that this car's timing is set really high (top line and slightly above) and also that the IQ probably needs attention (very slight slow-down shudder). Based on what I'd read in the thread linked to above by Fletchman (thank you for that) I'm thinking that, at least in my case, that it's an issue of pre-ignition- warm engine, advanced timing and lower IQ with, perhaps, a slightly slow cranking speed, is, under a perfect conversion, causing a pre-ignition situation.
That impossible on a diesel engine because the fuel is injected as it burns.

I would be DMF coming apart.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Sorry let me rephrase. Pre-iginition is impossible on a diesel because fuel is injected as it burns. Only way to have it is if fuel in introduced into the intake like ether which is why starting fluid is very dangerous.

My guess is that the DMF coming apart is what is causing the noise.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep! No such thingy as pre-ignition with a diesel engine, unless as Turbocharged798 stated, introduced starting fluid. There's no ignition until there is fuel which is time injected via the injectors based on the pressure created by the IP .

I'm thinking the Anti Shutter Valve (ASV) may be fluctuating, either on it's own or due to an electrical issue that's causing the vacuum valve that operates the ASV to open/close rather rapidly.

I doubt the DMF is causing the issue as others have had similar issues with their engine only to go away.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I think what he's saying is pre as in too much before TDC. That the timing is so advanced that injection/combustion is starting so early it's fighting a rising piston.

I could see it maybe possibly happening if the timing advance mechanism were stuck at full advance.

The thing is the rotation of the cam plate wants to push the advance mechanism to the normal position and it would take quite a bit of sticking to prevent that.

Or maybe one injector is weak and opening early but I don't think there's much delay in the injection system while pressure "builds". Incompressible fluid, short stiff lines, etc.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I get the general idea, BUT... why does a warm engine start[read "ignite"] better than a cold one? My situation/hypothetical centered around a warm engine. Cylinder temperatures DO have an affect on the ignition of fuel: that's the point of GPs.

In my case it is VERY unlikely that the noise I heard came from a loose bolt associated with the clutch job or that it's the clutch itself.