Engine Vibration after Timing Belt Change & Colt Stage 2 Camshaft Installation

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out an engine vibration problem that I'm experiencing that is driving me crazy.

Late June I did a full timing belt change (water pump, rollers, one-time use bolts, the works), along with a Colt Stage 2 Camshaft and new lifters. Now I have this engine vibration that I notice at all times and is most pronounce at 45-50 mph in 5th gear. Resonates always.

As first steps, I've looked into possible vibrations caused by the dogbone transmission mount, all air intake components up to the intake manifold, and the exhaust system. No adjustments to those systems have worked, and the vibration persists. I feel the vibration at idle, in-and-out of gear (manual tranny), and under driving load. I feel it in the accelerator pedal and my seat. A few years ago, I changed out the engine mounts, so I don't think the vibration would be because of worn mounts.

Like I said, it's driving me crazy and making the car not enjoyable to drive. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is the Colt Stage 2 Camshaft that I installed, and if I should go back to an ALH OEM camshaft. Unfortunately, I sold the original camshaft, so I would need to buy new. I did use installation paste on the camshaft and lifters, as well as a fresh oil change. But before I do buy a new ALH camshaft and start tearing the engine apart again...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
You need to do a scan of the injector balance with VCDS among other things.
If that looks OK then I might look at the flywheel situation.
Is your flywheel/clutch the original that came with the car?
How many miles are on the injectors? Are they originals?
How was the timing set when the timing belt was done?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
This link describes what's on my car in terms of modifications: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3586448&postcount=784 The modifications listed were installed by me between 2009 - 2011. I probably put 8,000 - 10,000 miles per year on my car.

The vibration I'm experiencing now was not there before the timing belt and camshaft change, so I'm having difficulty thinking that my flywheel or injectors are suddenly out of whack and just happened to do so at the moment I did this work in June. I'm not saying impossible, but I wouldn't expect such problems. I always keep the timing within range, but advanced.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
A few years ago, I changed out the engine mounts, so I don't think the vibration would be because of worn mounts.
Sometimes things eventually fail at the most inopportune moments. The engine motor mount gets messed with when you do the TB: double-check your work here.

Do you get any vibrations just sitting at idle?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
The vibration is a little noticeable at idle, but nothing compared to driving.

OK, so I drove to temp and checked the balance of my Power Plus 764 nozzles and injectors:

Cylinder 1: +0.19 mg/str
Cylinder 2: +0.16 mg/str
Cylinder 3: -0.85 mg/str
Cylinder 4: +0.45 mg/str

They were last balanced April 2010 by Pete at Drivbiwire.

Last edited:

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
How sure are you that it isn't just the fact that you put in a stage 2 cam?
Since you changed your TB have you put everything at TDC and check to make sure that nothing moved?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
That's my question. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar vibration by installing the Colt Stage 2 camshaft, as that's the only difference since June.

This is the second time I've changed the timing belt on my car, so I have the experience, and I know everything was at TDC.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I'm 20 minutes down the road from colt cams and we've never had a problem with their products. Mark's got one in a 96 golf and it doesn't rattle that much, only difference I noticed with it installed was lower EGTs and less smoke.

It is well over a 5 degree increase in duration though. They also make a stage 1 cam, which has the lift of stage 2 but with essentially stock duration.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
MAF, Electrical Grounds

Not sure if my experience might help, but when I changed the camshaft out on an 04' Jetta with 227k miles, I installed an upgraded Frank6 camshaft and did the timing belt as well. Afterwards, the car had a bad idle and poor performance which turned out to be a result of poor electrical grounds and the wrong MAF. I addressed all those issues and the car runs 10x better. The car is a 5 speed and has a Malone stage 1 tune. The gasser MAF caused all kinds of problems..not good on this car.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
All four vertical engine mount bolts were not loose. I checked the smaller ones up to 45 ft-lb and the bigger ones up to 55 ft-lb and all were tight. I didn't dare try to tighten them more for fear of stripping threads. I didn't have an extra set of those bolts, so I didn't lift up the engine to check the horizontal engine mount bolts. When I work on my car, I always double-check things, so at this point I don't think the vibration is coming from the mount.

Since the balance of my nozzles/injectors are off, I'll do a compression check of each cylinder next. I've been told by someone offline that since cylinder #3 is over-fueling -0.85 mg/str and cylinder #4 is compensating by under-fueling +0.45 mg/str and the fact that my TDI has been at over 160 hp (Oct 2011), there's a good possibility of a bent rod. I sure hope not, as I don't really want to dump more money into a 14-year old car, though I likely will if I must.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your injector deviation shouldn't be any cause for concern, the numbers are fine. (I don't recall ever hearing anyone with bent rods complain about vibrations- mostly).

When you say that you're getting vibration while driving is there any difference between accelerating and decelerating? That is, can you tell whether this the vibration is more prone from torque?

What's the state of the dogbone mount?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had two new dogbones on the car these past two months, including having a shop helicoiling both vertical threads (stupid aluminum!).

I don't notice a difference between accelerating or decelerating, and the vibration is present in idle (903 rpm).

Also, it's not my skidplate being loose. Took it off tonight, drove around, same annoying vibration.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe pop off the serpentine belt and see if that does anything. Might want to peek at the crank pulley while you're there.

I think that you're probably going to have to break out a/the stethoscope.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
That's my question. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar vibration by installing the Colt Stage 2 camshaft, as that's the only difference since June.

This is the second time I've changed the timing belt on my car, so I have the experience, and I know everything was at TDC.
It's not uncommon to have a little vibration with a throaty cam. But with a stage2 it shouldn't be all that much. Your iq in group 6 might be worth looking at. When my iq was 8.5-9 my car ran rough. Now that it's 5 it's really smooth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
As of this past week, I adjusted my IQ from about 3.5 to 4.5 with no change to the vibration. I've kept the IQ at 4.5 for now.

I took my Panzer skidplate off and drove around. Vibration is still there both at idle and driving; still most noticeable at 45-50 mph going up small incline.

With the help of my wife, I checked the compression of the cylinders in duplicate (two times each).

Cylinder #1: 500 psi & 500 psi
Cylinder #2: 540 psi & 540 psi
Cylinder #3: 500 psi & 500 psi
Cylinder #4: 520 psi & 525 psi

I'm guessing that I don't have a bent rod issue, even though my injectors/nozzles are not balanced.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IQ deviation pretty much showed that your compression numbers, at least relative, would be OK.

Again, pop off your serp belt and see if there's any change. Things in the middle of your engine seem fine, things at the ends need to be vetted. If you've got an alternator clutch or serp belt pulley/tensioner that's crapping out then that could cause some pulsing, some vibrations. Maybe the cam, while being perfectly fine, is helping exasperate something else.

Oh, yeah!, though I don't believe it's an issue in your case, I had an out of balance cooling fan (broken outer fan blade edge) that would cause the entire car to shake! Took me a while to track this down: got the car during cooler weather and didn't experience anything until the weather started warming up- it would happen only intermittently as the car needed to run the extra fan to cool the engine. I haven't experienced a failing DMF but from what I've read this could readily have passed as a failing DMF. My point here is that sometimes there's a pretty big misdirection going on and the source of the issue is "over there."

I'll now go away.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I removed the serpentine belt and carefully drove around. The vibration is still there, so it's not likely not the power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor, tensioner, or roller.

I've removed my unbalanced injectors/nozzles and am sending them off for cleaning and calibration.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I put a Colt stage 2 in the ALH about a year ago and along with timing belt kit and a bunch of other items to help it breathe.

The engine is very smooth at idle and at all RPM's. I was expecting a lumpier experience but it has been fine. Actually, it is really hard to notice this cam compared to stock.

My IQ is about the same as yours at ~4, I think the readings I got for my injectors looked like the ones you posted. It has been a while but that looks very familiar.

It's sort of strange that you are getting a vibration at idle. I was thinking that it could be something in the driveshaft area or brakes dragging to explain the 45 to 50 mph issues.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now looking like a shift toward the rear of the engine is in order. (not sure why the impulse to mess with the injectors) BUT...

Do ALHs ever have issues with their harmonic dampners?

Oilhammer, are you out there?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I found out that my Bosio PP764 nozzles are crap-ola, and probably have been for a long time. They failed the pop testing miserably and weren’t flowing properly. Franko6 will be installing and calibrating Firad 502 (ASLA150P502) nozzles on my injectors, though not until sometime next week. I’ll probably have to get my tune adjusted at the upcoming Michigan GTG, which means I’ll likely have to go back to the Euro RC5.

In the mean time, I did install a new harmonic balancer. Hopefully when I get everything back together the nozzles and/or harmonic balancer will have eliminated my vibration issue.

My TDI is presently an immovable paper weight.

Rayovac

TDI
2003 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon
Rocketeer, any update on your vibration issue?

I just finished a similar rebuild and am having increased vibration, most pronounced at idle and lower rpm.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
How often are you at 1400 rpm? that is too low to be spending much time cruising in in an ALH. you are effectively lugging the engine at that point and VNTs do not like lugging.

is the vibration something you notice as you pass 1400 rpm in like first or second gear? if so its possible that you are just hitting a harmonic vibration of the car or even the exhaust piping itself with your mods, newer motor and dogbone mounts.

with all of those mods I doubt you spend much time driving around like there is an egg under the go pedal. if you are spending a lot of time cruising at 1400 rpm, may I suggest downshifting to raise the RPMS?

I know you know your car very well, and it is probably one of the best put together Stage5 cars in the country, but with so many not stock variables in there you may be chasing your tail for a long time trying to hunt down something that may just be a quirk of your whole package.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Still working on it. Really annoying around 1400 rpm

Does your vibration also happen in neutral or only when driving?

If I read your posts correctly.....you installed "a new VR6 driver's side axle" at the same time as the new cam, which is when the vibration started.

I would suspect the new axle as the cause of the vibration before I would suspect the cam.
Where did you get the new axle from?
I would put another known good axle in to see if the vibration is still there.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m certain it’s not the axle. I can feel the vibration at idle, parked in neutral, in all driving conditions at all RPMs. It’s most pronounced as I go through about 1400 rpm (not that I stay there and stress the engine).

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you still waiting on your new nozzles and injector work?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That means that the nozzles/injectors that were in there weren't causing this problem?

Crank shaft position sensor a bit wonky? (sorry if this has already been addressed)

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, at the Oct 14 Michigan GTG Growler, r90sKirk, and jsrmonster all thought that the vibration I'm now experiencing is "normal" for the modifications I currently have on my TDI. While jsrmonster was fiddling with my car in order to upgrade my RC5-ASV-Euro tune to accommodate for the new Firad 502 nozzles and Colt Stage 2 Camshaft, Growler observed that my engine hardly moved when the accelerator was pushed and that my new dogbone pendulum was likely stiffer than the old, and thus contributing to the vibration I've been feeling (at all times, whether moving or not).

I tried one more experiment to convince myself, spending "dumb" money, and as it turns out wasting a whole day working on my TDI. Yes, I bought a new ALH OEM camshaft and lifters!! Installed them, drove around a bit, and the vibration I'm experiencing is still present. Ugh!

Since the vibration was the same, I immediately re-installed the Colt camshaft and its lifters, since my upgraded RC5 tune is set for it. I had to reset the timing today (slightly advanced). Since the original camshaft sprocket has now been on and off several times, I replaced the sprocket and its bolt with new.

So now I'm convinced that the vibration is due to the new dogbone, and I'll just have to live with it as the dogbone naturally wears. Just a few years ago I had changed out the original engine and transmission mounts for new OEM mounts.

I've been thinking hard about the series of events since the end of June and into July and beyond. The end of June I did the timing belt and Colt camshaft, and in the middle of July I had a shop install the Steering Refresher Kit, new tie rods, and the new dogbone (the old was worn out). I even bought a second new dogbone later thinking the first was faulty. Though I'm not 100% certain, I have a feeling that for the two weeks between the timing belt and camshaft work I did and the suspension/wheel alignment work that a shop did for me, I may not have felt the vibration I now experience. I can't say for sure, as I mostly drive my motorcycle to work in the summer.

I put less than 10 miles on the new ALH OEM camshaft and lifters. I'm hoping that I can sell them for about 75% of what I paid. We'll see...

I'm very sure that this car will be the one and only that I modify hardware. I'm also hoping that no more work will be needed on my TDI until the next oil change.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
So now I'm convinced that the vibration is due to the new dogbone, and I'll just have to live with it as the dogbone naturally wears. Just a few years ago I had changed out the original engine and transmission mounts for new OEM mounts.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Silly question.
Wouldn't it have been easier, faster, and cheaper to install the original dogbone for testing?
New bone if you didn't save the old one.

I do admit I've done similar for testing but not at the level you did.