Transmission problems - 2000 Jetta TDI Auto

Rajibaba

I’ve a 2000 Jetta TDI /Auto with 39K, Just recently I started having problems with the transmission, going from 3rd to 4th gear it started to slip. I took it to the dealer; he told me I’d need new tranny. Thank God for the warranty or it would have cost me $4500. Does anyone with auto have the same problem? I’m wondering it the auto transmission not matted for the engine torque and if this will happen again! Once its fixed, I’m thinking about selling it. I’ve never abused this car! Any comment guys?

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I had an 86 Accord with the same symptoms a long time ago. It had about 50K miles on it at the time.

At first I thought it was my imagination, but it got progressively worse.

Then it started doing it on the 2->3 shift.

I had an extended warranty on the car and they picked up the tab for a new tranny.

There was a clutch that shed a part. It got ground up and the transmission was in the process of slowly digesting itself. Pretty uncommon with Hondas.

Yours was probably a fluke too. If you like the car, I'd hang on to it. Probably won't happen to you again.

Rajibaba

Jeff, Dealer looked at the electrical, computer etc. they did find some codes but overall they told me that they go with how the transmission feels while driving. I love the car and i put over 100 miles a day, I think I'll hold on to it since i've another 60k of warranty left on the engine and tranny, Thanks for the input guys!

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
My auto acts a little flaky at times, rough 2nd to 3rd shifts after getting off the highway, and with the recent cold weather it is a little harsh in the mornings. Mine is chipped with 34K, and I'm preparing for some "fun" with it as even the 5-speeds are hard to shift in the winter. German transmissions are always a little weird (even my grandma killed the tranny in her 98 E320 after 20K).

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Just be sure to change the fluid in your new trans every 30k miles. The dealer will not want to do (why-because they claim lifetime fluid). It will cost $250-300 to change it at the dealer too. You will need access to a vag-com in order to check the fluid level once done. You must change it every 30k. Waiting until you have a 100k it too late.
I doubt your trans is a sign of the future to come, I have not yet heard of one bad auto trans in my region including gas cars. Every manufacturer has some minor glitches (Under 1%). There are ALOT of VW's one the road around here with 5 dealers for under a 750000 people.
Greg

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clacker:
Just be sure to change the fluid in your new trans every 30k miles. The dealer will not want to do (why-because they claim lifetime fluid).....
Greg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm willing to try the "no change" practice. I asked my dealer to change the fluid, but they put in writing that it is not needed, so I have not changed it. I'm willing to let my car be a test of this. I know many at this site insist on the change, but we'll see what happens with mine. 18 months and 80,000 miles of hard driving and I've had no problems - not even one problem - and it still shifts as crisply and correctly as when it was new.
...It's my money so don't get too excited.

Metro

Veteran Member
This is covered by the "regular" warranty or the extended warranty. I'm not sure what you mean by warranty.

I'm guessing your talking about the 10 year 100K warranty right?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Hold on there with the "Lifetime fluid statement"!

The auto tranny has two types of fluid! One is in the differential (lifetime fluid) the other is the synthetic fluid (Per VW change every 80,000 miles along with the filter and 4 liters of fluid). There is a special procedure that requires the use of the VAG-Com to change the fluid so unless the dealer is familiar with the auto tranny they may brushing you off with the "Lifetime" statement.

Whatever you do, do not confuse the two fluids! The synthetic fluid must be changed every 80K and is perfect to allow the tranny last a very long time. The primary reason this fluid must me cahnged is so that the clutch material in the fluid can be purged thus the reason they also have th cahnge the fluid filter. Since VW uses a true synthetic fluid and an internal liquid cooling system, the synthetic transmission fluid will not wear out like typical ATF but since it does become loaded with debris this over time can damage the clutch packs and other hardware from escessive wear.

I would suggest having the differential fluid replaced every 100K (just my opinion).

DB

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Drivbiwire ]

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
My Auto is fine and will never see a change. I tried at 80,000 during the timing belt change at Frank Z auto. They called VWOA in Michigan and they stated that the warranty would be void if changed, that with the screen and change of fluids they did not want any particles moving and running the chance that they would move into the tranny. There is no filter, just a screen. They did check the levels and all is ok. They went to great lengths to check before attempting the job DB.

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
DB,

I don't remember reading anywhere that the synthetic portion of the tranny fluid need to be changed at 80K.

Can you please tell me where I can find that info?

Thanks.

Alex

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
We found this I believe in the Bentley manual when we were working on NYTDI's car. They even list the procedure for changing the synthetic fluid and listed it as 80,000 miles not 60K as we suspected. I will go find the page number as the reference.

DB

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Note:

There is NO second source for the VW/Audi synthetic ATF. If VW requires that the fluid be changed while the transmission is under warranty, they should provide the fluid free of charge.

Ted

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Dbw - wish I could back you up on this one but I can't find a rec. change interval, however they do show how to change the fluid in the gen. maint. section. They don't show a filter change procedure however. I think it was just a general concensus opinion that 60-80k mi. was probably about the best bet.

IMHO 30k mi. is probably overkill but if one is truly a maint. fanatic I guess that a change at the first 30k mi. (to remove any factory or break-in wear materials - real or imagined) and then every 60k mi. would be the most fanatical schedule that makes any sense to me.

Ripster - I had a trans. filter in my hand - no screen - yes filter material, sorta like a spun fabric type material - box brand was marked Meistersatz - 01M 398 009FE W60E60

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
I was thinking of doing mine at 50K, but I dont have Bentley manual and from what I know, there is no way to check fluid levels right? How intense a job is this? I am guessing its pretty well-sealed, since you need a vag-com to do it.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
The only reason you need VAG-COM is to check it (fluid level) at the correct temp. which as stated in Bentley is "is neither hot nor cold, but in between", you start cold and bring it up to 95 - 113 deg. F. Basicly VAG-COM is just a overpriced temp sensor in this use. The job is not bad, just remember to get a new seal/cap for the fill tube - it is a use once always replace item. Level check is done from the bottom of the pan. There is a tube (with a plug that you remove)that goes up into the tranny and at the correct temp a bit of fluid should drip out to establish correct level, this tube is removed to drain the pan, the pan is removed to replace the filter - also not a big deal. I carefully measured what came out and added that exact amt. - worked out just fine - added a bit more and ended up w/ most of it back in the drain pan when level was checked.
If you plan to do repair and maint. work the investment in a Bentley and VAG-COM is well worth it, the dealer wants $200 for the tranny fluid / filter change. Be aware that the VW fluid is $14-15 a litre
, you need 4 litres. Try 1800VWPARTS, they sell the correct fluid for a few bucks less ($10-11 if I recall) a litre, they were out when I ordered my filter kit.