Anti seize on spark plugs

llmercll

TDI
JETTA
I'm doing my first ever spark plug job tomorrow on my 2003 Jetta. I am confused as to whether or not I should use anti-seize, as I've read varying opinions.

The plugs are autolite platinum. I am currently thinking I don't need to use them as the platinum ones aren't as likely to seize as copper, but am not certain.

Can anyone verify if I'm right or if I need to use anti-seize?

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
I'm doing my first ever spark plug job tomorrow on my 2003 Jetta. I am confused as to whether or not I should use anti-seize, as I've read varying opinions.
The plugs are autolite platinum. I am currently thinking I don't need to use them as the platinum ones aren't as likely to seize as copper, but am not certain.
Can anyone verify if I'm right or if I need to use anti-seize?
On your TDI? Spark plugs?
Good one, don't forget to set the points after you file them.
What gap will you run on them plugs?
Cheers

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you’re doing spark plugs on your Jetta your on the wrong forum.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
First I have had a few bad experiences with Autolites so I quit using them, but that's just my experience, so take it with a bag of salt.

B) NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

That is from the NGK website. Others are similar as can be found with a quick Google search.

III Please don't use cuss words in your thread title.:)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Is anti-seize ever OK when threading into aluminum? (For electrical stuff dialectic grease is pretty much mandated, so there's kind of an exception to introducing a lubricant).

I'd second NGK plugs. (WAAY back when, I'd has a gasser hot rod, I'd have loved to have had NGK plugs- Champion plugs would last about one day, Autolites (or Motorcraft at the time?) lasted about a week, and Accel(?) lasted a good month.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Is anti-seize ever OK when threading into aluminum? (For electrical stuff dialectic grease is pretty much mandated, so there's kind of an exception to introducing a lubricant).
Not copper-based anti-seize, no, unless you would like to have the threads eaten by galvanism! Copper is materially more cathodic than aluminum and should never, ever be used in contact with it.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Anti-seize is a very controversial subject with very strong opinions on both sides. I lie on the side of using it. the tiniest dab that can be used. I have worked too many frozen and sheared off bolt heads or buggered up threads not to use it. Yes manufacturers don't use it, and it does effect torque values, so that argument is absolutely true. You have to weigh the choices and make your own decision. at my work we use both copper base and nickel base high temp anti-seize. If anyone lives around me and wants some, I can get some little cups of it. we throw away cans of the stuff once its a year old. In reality it doesn't go bad, at least not for many years.

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver

Those are autolite plugs, one nearly broke coming out. I put aluminum antiseize on the new ones. One dab on one side and then smear it evenly around the threads, wiping it off non threaded areas. I hope it’ll be six years or more before reporting on how well they come out. I doubt many autolite users apply anti seize, and one of them barely came out. Antiseize was made to avoid seizure, so I pasted up this time.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. The anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.
Anti-seize is nothing more than cheap grease with metal powder blended into it. Hence the false torque values. That is why it is not recommended on lug bolts. Yes, it does work as an anti-seize but the torque values are lessened due to the lubrication.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
On your TDI? Spark plugs?
Good one, don't forget to set the points after you file them.
What gap will you run on them plugs?
Cheers
You forgot about changing the condenser.
Personally I mostly used Bosch plugs points and condenser in all the air cooled VW's I had.
This is what I miss changing the most. :D

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
Not copper-based anti-seize, no, unless you would like to have the threads eaten by galvanism! Copper is materially more cathodic than aluminum and should never, ever be used in contact with it.
Wish I'd known this a month or so ago.

So how do you go about cleaning the threads in the head?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Wish I'd known this a month or so ago.

So how do you go about cleaning the threads in the head?
To get it ALL off? It's not all that easy in a small hole like that.

The risk of course is getting something into the cylinder.... Since anti-seize has a grease base a light petroleum solvent (e.g. naptha, etc) on a thin cloth and a wooden dowel as a mandrel might work -- just be careful not to get anything into the hole in the process!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
You forgot about changing the condenser.
Personally I mostly used Bosch plugs points and condenser in all the air cooled VW's I had.
This is what I miss changing the most. :D

....now that is a trip.,,,,,,,,,in grad school, my '70 bug tune kit had 4 plugs, a distributor rotor, two valve cover gaskets and an oil screen.....IIRC.

I do recall the kits was less than ten bucks.

Come to think of it, I think there was a feeler gauge included (for the valves).

sigh,

ez

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
That would be ok. Another possibility, which I have used in some applications, is a TINY (and I do mean TINY!) bit of caliper pin grease. It's rated for extremely high temperatures and is multi-material compatible (for obvious reasons), plus I tend to have it around.

The big deal with threaded things, especially into aluminum, is to always run whatever it is ALL THE WAY IN using nothing more than your HAND on the socket. No handle - ever -- gentle finger pressure only, especially to get it started. This materially reduces the risk of cross-threading and if there's a problem with debris or thread damage you'll detect it with your fingers before you strip it.

Just be very careful with ANY sort of lubricant when it comes to torque, especially in places where it will bite you HARD if you overdo it (like glow plugs, spark plugs on SI engines, etc.) unless the OE torque spec includes lubricant (most don't.)

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I use battery terminal anti corrosion spray on hubs and lugs.
Is that also a lubricant or just anti-corrosion material?
An added note: Here is what I have learned .......if you rotate your tires as you should they most likely will not have time to rust on. I switch between summer and winter tire and have had no issues at all. Now back in the day with older American cars that I paid no attention to any kind of maintenance and just drove them till they died yes the lug nuts got rusted on and had to be cut off.

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Is that also a lubricant or just anti-corrosion material?
An added note: Here is what I have learned .......if you rotate your tires as you should they most likely will not have time to rust on. I switch between summer and winter tire and have had no issues at all. Now back in the day with older American cars that I paid no attention to any kind of maintenance and just drove them till they died yes the lug nuts got rusted on and had to be cut off.
It's oily.