VW Canada Settlement - $2.1 Billion

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
This may be old news.....

My dealer (25+ years with VW) told me not to do any work on my car: no new windshield, no paint touchups, no hail repair etc. etc. "Keep it as it is," he said, "Don't spend any money on it."

My source tells me the judge felt the consumer pot wasn't sweet enough in comparison to the US settlement, which I would agree with. Canadian dealers met on Monday in Las Vegas to discuss the issues as they are receiving a separate (dealer) settlement.

If the numbers floating around hold any degree of accuracy, the first cash offer was dollar for dollar to the US, no accounting for currency exchange. I happen to feel trade-in values should be better than black book, or else some significant portion of the remaining financing should be washed. They're taking so much financial pain they should really do it right, even if it kills the company....they're so close to the line now. If your car is in vg to exc. condition and you get black book, where is the deal?

In any case, my perception is VW is in panic mode and with ten new models coming out this year, VW cache will quickly become a thing of the past. It doesn't bear thinking about if the new models aren't top notch all around.

Last edited:

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
When i was at dealer last week , the sales manger told me they have rented a lot across the road to hold the cars coming back .

JimBo_KW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Trade in Value

Hi guys.... long time since I have been here !!!!!

So do I understand the settlement proposal correctly .....my loaded 2011 TDI highline sunroof, leather, navigation & 6 SPD with 60000km is worth the same as a basic 2011 comfortline!!!!!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Call the dealer or VW Canada and ask. There is too much speculation here.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

rhskcdn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2014 Reflex Silver
So do I understand the settlement proposal correctly .....my loaded 2011 TDI highline sunroof, leather, navigation & 6 SPD with 60000km is worth the same as a basic 2011 comfortline!!!!!

I did that already and that is why I asked the question on here as I was not impressed with the $15400 estimate.
Or, you you could say it is worth $2K less than my 2014 comfortline sportwagon with 65K kms :p

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
[FONT=&quot]Regarding the botched Canadian claims process...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A very bad joke indeed.

What a bunch of morons VW has put in charge of the claims process. They must be related to the idiots who thought originally bugging the computers was a good idea.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The claims processing team new EXACTLY the maximum number of potential claimants, 105,000, set up a website and data process to handle the claims. NOT![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But let’s not confuse them with the facts.

Initially the site can't handle the volume and crashes. What the hell is up with that? Can these guys count??
Then the site doesn't enable dealer selection for the emissions repair.....so down it goes for another few hours. When it's up again the site doesn't allow for the mileage allowance calculation and thus uses actual odometer readings to calculate the settlement offer. These guys really are STUPID.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then the site goes down again…..these guys are f*cked in the head.

I call the 800#, wait on hold for an hour, get some idiot fresh out of school who tells me I need my claim number for them to reset my file so I can start the process once again. But my claim number was not provided in the most recent crash of the site and I can't get back in, down for the evening presumably. I’ve already wasted four hours today and have nothing to show for this idiocy. And without the functioning mileage adjustment calculator how is this a solution?? Yes, it appears they are that damn dumb.

Back up again, the site then continues forward using the incorrect mileage figure and proceeds to make me an offer which, WOW, you can choose to accept.....if you're as stupid as they appear to be. OMG, what the hell is wrong with these people???? then the site goes down again. To be fair, underage children could have handled this better.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While waiting for these retards to fix this process I am seriously thinking about purchasing from a different manufacturer altogether.[FONT=&quot]....t[/FONT]ak[FONT=&quot]ing[/FONT] the money and running.[FONT=&quot]...[/FONT]FAST[FONT=&quot]![/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hate VW for putting me through this rediculous fire dance. You just can't get more unprofessional.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
[FONT=&quot]Regarding the botched Canadian claims process...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A very bad joke indeed.

What a bunch of morons VW has put in charge of the claims process. They must be related to the idiots who thought originally bugging the computers was a good idea.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The claims processing team new EXACTLY the maximum number of potential claimants, 105,000, set up a website and data process to handle the claims. NOT![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But let’s not confuse them with the facts.

Initially the site can't handle the volume and crashes. What the hell is up with that? Can these guys count??
Then the site doesn't enable dealer selection for the emissions repair.....so down it goes for another few hours. When it's up again the site doesn't allow for the mileage allowance calculation and thus uses actual odometer readings to calculate the settlement offer. These guys really are STUPID.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Then the site goes down again…..these guys are f*cked in the head.

I call the 800#, wait on hold for an hour, get some idiot fresh out of school who tells me I need my claim number for them to reset my file so I can start the process once again. But my claim number was not provided in the most recent crash of the site and I can't get back in, down for the evening presumably. I’ve already wasted four hours today and have nothing to show for this idiocy. And without the functioning mileage adjustment calculator how is this a solution?? Yes, it appears they are that damn dumb.

Back up again, the site then continues forward using the incorrect mileage figure and proceeds to make me an offer which, WOW, you can choose to accept.....if you're as stupid as they appear to be. OMG, what the hell is wrong with these people???? then the site goes down again. To be fair, underage children could have handled this better.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]While waiting for these retards to fix this process I am seriously thinking about purchasing from a different manufacturer altogether. Take the money and run. FAST.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hate VW for putting me through this rediculous fire dance. You can't get more unprofessional than th[FONT=&quot]is[/FONT].
[/FONT]
I totally agree with u this debacle is stupid right down to the judge extending the timeline to approve the original settlement!

That website is a total joke keep getting error 404!

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
[FONT=&quot]While waiting for these retards to fix this process I am seriously thinking about purchasing from a different manufacturer altogether.[/FONT]
I already have decided, a new Acura RDX.

Poorly implemented / executed.

They must have hired the same people who came up with the government's Phoenix pay system, in other words a bunch of incompetent managers, but then aren't they all usually.

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I already have decided, a new Acura RDX.

Poorly implemented / executed.

They must have hired the same people who came up with the government's Phoenix pay system, in other words a bunch of incompetent managers, but then aren't they all usually.
A few weeks ago I put a refundable deposit on a '17 Sportwagon, but now give pause to think abandoning the brand may in fact be a very good thing. I can hardly begin to imagine my frustration if that car is a big fat lemon.....made with the company at low morale.

And to rub salt in the wound, the $1K discount offer on new car purchases ends tomorrow, May 1, before any settlement offer can even take effect. That sours the entire thing almost beyond belief.....for a measly extra milion dollars on a multi-billion dollar payout they suck the muddy end of the carpet.

Any decent alternatives to the Sportwagon come to mind?

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Any decent alternatives to the Sportwagon come to mind?
That actually was my initial choice since I miss the utility aspect of my old Honda CR-V that I owned from new for almost 15 years.

But unless it is a diesel, I really do not want a turbo in any of my cars. Besides, I have a mere 41K kms on my Jetta TDI after 3.5 years and fuel mileage isn't that much of a concern. I bought it for other reasons. I have no idea what VW will do with the buy-backs; too bad because someone would get one hell of a well maintained, ultra mint TDI.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
That actually was my initial choice since I miss the utility aspect of my old Honda CR-V that I owned from new for almost 15 years.

But unless it is a diesel, I really do not want a turbo in any of my cars. Besides, I have a mere 41K kms on my Jetta TDI after 3.5 years and fuel mileage isn't that much of a concern. I bought it for other reasons. I have no idea what VW will do with the buy-backs; too bad because someone would get one hell of a well maintained, ultra mint TDI.
Lucky yours is newer...
What's the reason for no gas turbo?
Yes, might have to go shopping again in another 12 months and pick up a sweetheart deal.

A real concern is how many dealerships are going to quit VW over this expensive and for some, life threatening fiasco. Having a 100K km warranty won't carry the same sheen if there isn't anybody to service it.

.....So you're rolling up to the dealership for warranty service in your new VW and suddenly the CLOSED sign lights up.

kcb

Veteran Member
I think VW and rice point did a decent job on the portal. They are handing out Billion of dollars... it takes time. Yes, the fail postal code search was a failed.

As for website crashing, you cannot design for opening day. Come on, Tesla 3 pre order crashed.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally, registered via the mobile site and uploaded all my documents.

You would think the website would have a list of what docs will be required prior to the registering fiasco.

For those of us that got the loyalty package we should have already been pre-registered.

disisme

TDI
Total Nitemare. When I seen they wanted Bill of sale and a conscent form uploaded and being unprepared and getting kicked off the site and not being able to log back in numerous times I decided on opting for the mail in choice . After finally finding Bill of Sale and conscent form filled out and scanned I thought I would be able to get the call centre idiots to give me an email to send them into, nope not a chance, they said try again later today and there was going to be an option to edit this choice as I wasn't the only one that came across this issue, still waiting. GRRRRRR

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
Total Nitemare. When I seen they wanted Bill of sale and a conscent form uploaded and being unprepared and getting kicked off the site and not being able to log back in numerous times I decided on opting for the mail in choice . After finally finding Bill of Sale and conscent form filled out and scanned I thought I would be able to get the call centre idiots to give me an email to send them into, nope not a chance, they said try again later today and there was going to be an option to edit this choice as I wasn't the only one that came across this issue, still waiting. GRRRRRR
Use the mobile site from your cellphone

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
And it's not like this is the first kick at the cat since they've been doing this stateside for many months now......brings back the tainted image of a bunch of greasy nerds with pocket protectors who don't really give a ****.

Why go live when you know you aren't ready??? That's why they're stupid. But hey, we blind beta'd the doctored 2.0 TDI program, so they figure why not volunteer us for beta testing their restitution software. Both ways we get the bird.

Last edited:

disisme

TDI
And it's not like this is the first kick at the cat since they've been doing this stateside for many months now......brings back the tainted image of a bunch of greasy nerds with pocket protectors who don't really give a ****.

Why go live when you know you aren't ready??? That's why they're stupid.
I agree, you would think they would have at least done a few run through's, Postal code first glitch.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What's the rush? Wait a little until everything settled and then submit. You had your cars for years, what's a few more weeks going to do.

disisme

TDI
What's the rush? Wait a little until everything settled and then submit. You had your cars for years, what's a few more weeks going to do.
My new 2015 TDI is sitting in the lot for when the lawyers finally get done and the dust settles, that and I hit a pot hole and front tire blew and don't want to buy a new tire.:D

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
The painful aspect of this hurdle is the assurance lawyers demand in getting paid, the importance of everything else–like getting the customers efficiently through the process–pales by comparison. They won't move without money, but we can damn well wait.

You can be certain it's a game we'll not likely finish first anytime soon.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Timing is everything in life, yours is just a little different from others.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
If I understand some class action info online correctly, we can also claim accessories purchased for our cars like a trailer hitch, summer wheels, and tint ?
Also, I see conflicting information about the appraisal process... I thought the appraisal for us 2015 owners was based on the mileage at the time we brought in our credit cards to get activated and they documented the km's.. ?
I have 74k on my 2015 already so, I hope Im not penalized for all the kms

Last edited:

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
If I understand some class action info online correctly, we can also claim accessories purchased for our cars like a trailer hitch, summer wheels, and tint ?

Also, I see conflicting information about the appraisal process... I thought the appraisal for us 2015 owners was based on the mileage at the time we brought in our credit cards to get activated and they documented the km's.. ?

I have 74k on my 2015 already so, I hope Im not penalized for all the kms

Thanks for the heads up on accessories!

Down the road this claims process will just be a blip, but I won't soon be forgetting the debauched fashion in which they delivered the 'solution' to loyal VW customers. How difficult is it to get things relatively right.....as opposed to mostly wrong?

It speaks volumes about how RiceDream is run, or is that RicePudding? And shame on VW for letting that moose loose in the china shop two times in succession.

In fairness to VW, however, they do have some pretty large fires burning right now. It has to be absolutely shocking to discover this large an invisible mutiny inside your executive branch, and exactly how do you go about purging something so easily hidden?