Blown seal on turbo

ch0ba

TDI
Jetta 2002
Hey, new to this forum.

I've got a 2002 Jetta TDI 1.9 that has a blown oil seal in the turbo. Bought a used unit that was tested and had it installed, now the mechanic is saying that I probably have an injector pump failure or the engine jumped timing. I've lost all confidence in their diagnotics and have already racked up $1600 so far.

Should I just scrap this car?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Can you describe the original symptoms? What problems were you encountering?

ch0ba

TDI
Jetta 2002
Can you describe the original symptoms? What problems were you encountering?
Driving along one day and I suddenly went limp with lots of smoke. Towed it to a shop and they said that the oil seal in the turbo blew.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Driving along one day and I suddenly went limp with lots of smoke. Towed it to a shop and they said that the oil seal in the turbo blew.

You told them to replace the turbo, they did with a used unit(correct?)
. Now it doesn't start? Doesn't run well? Doesn't run at all? What are the new symptoms that the mechanic is calling "injection pump failure" or "tb jumped a tooth?"

Hope we can get some thoughts brewing and get you on track. A bad turbo seal shouldn't result in needing to scrap the car, really a bad injection pump either.

Last edited:

ch0ba

TDI
Jetta 2002
You told them to replace the turbo, they did with a used unit(correct?)
. Now it doesn't start? Doesn't run well? Doesn't run at all? What are the new symptoms that the mechanic is calling "injection pump failure" or "tb jumped a tooth?"

Hope we can get some thoughts brewing and get you on track. A bad turbo seal shouldn't result in needing to scrap the car, really a bad injection pump either.

The shop called, said they installed the turbo then took the car for a drive and it stalled and wouldn't start. They towed it back to the shop and now need authorization for any further diag since my bill is already $1600. They believe it has a bad injector pump or has jumped timing.

Somehow I'm not confident they really know what's going on and I'm reluctant to give them any more money. I'm just checking if a blown oil seal on a turbo could cascade into injector pump failure or timing issues.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The shop called, said they installed the turbo then took the car for a drive and it stalled and wouldn't start. They towed it back to the shop and now need authorization for any further diag since my bill is already $1600. They believe it has a bad injector pump or has jumped timing.
Somehow I'm not confident they really know what's going on and I'm reluctant to give them any more money. I'm just checking if a blown oil seal on a turbo could cascade into injector pump failure or timing issues.

If they didn't clean the oil out of the IC. During the test ride they could of had a runaway.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
If they didn't clean the oil out of the IC. During the test ride they could of had a runaway.
I would say MonsterTDI109 is right if the engine jumped timing from a run away or bent the valves they can rev-up to 7000 RPM I would think.

Tell them to do a compression test and give you the readings. If there good you can save the engine.
Bob Mann

ch0ba

TDI
Jetta 2002
Yes, they mentioned a runaway, could my engine be damaged? I'm guessing I could ask them if they drained the IC or just tow it to another shop and check. Either way, would I hold them accountable?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A lot of possibilities here. It could be that it had a runaway before you bought it, could be they didn't drain the oil out of the charge air pipe from the failed turbo and had a runaway, could be the used turbo was junk and caused a runaway.

IDK how a used turbo could be "tested" to make sure it is good other than looking for obvious damage. The used turbo could have very well had a bad oil seal, as well. All the junk yard would have had to do is take 30 seconds with some carb cleaner to remove any evidence of a leaking turbo seal.

The head will have to come off for rebuild to check for valve damage and the pistons will have to be checked for protrusion to check for bent connecting rods due to the possibility of a hydro-lock.

Probably a VG example of why you don't take a TDI to a shop that doesn't have a clue. Sounds like you are really screwed on this one.

Last edited:

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
My advice is to get the car out of their hands and find a trusted mechanic. Ask them to document everything they did so you have it down the road. Especially if they caused the runaway and damaged the motor.

I would think the best thing to do to start is to confirm that that pump didn't jump. This can be done by turning the motor by hand and checking the reference marks. Also make sure the timing belt is tight. If the marks don't line up you'll have to take the head off.

What's the history of the car prior to the failed turbo? How long have you had it and how did it run prior?

Hopefully we can get you on the right track. Look for a trusted tdi mechanic though they should be able to find your problem and help you decide about the car.

I would also recommend a new turbo not used.

ch0ba

TDI
Jetta 2002
Update
Spoked to the mechanic about draining the IC ... they for got to do it !!! Said there was a runaway but it didn't hydrolock. Waiting on them to do a compression test to check if i still have a viable engine :(