Recharging AC

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Had to replace the condenser in my 04 Jetta. The one I got from a junk yard had green oil in it. And the car has light amber.

I plan on evacuating and charging the system myself.

1. what is the green oil?
2. is it ok to mix the two?
3. flush out the condenser?
4. flush out the whole system and start over?
5. use compressed air and ?? for flushing?

Thanks, Blue

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
The green oil is prob dye to check for leaks. I'd blow it out, install it and pull a vacuum, then oil charge and charge it.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Sounds like a plan. But how much oil to add? Is there an accurate way to measure the oil? System needs 4 1/2 oz?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The book has the expected amount of oil to add for each NEW component.

If you don't flush the oil out of the replacement you can probably assume it has the correct amount and not add any. Otherwise might be best to back flush it with solvent and purge it dry. Was the system you took it out of intact?

Should replace the drier too.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
The book has the expected amount of oil to add for each NEW component.
If you don't flush the oil out of the replacement you can probably assume it has the correct amount and not add any. Otherwise might be best to back flush it with solvent and purge it dry. Was the system you took it out of intact?
Should replace the drier too.
Both systems were intact. The one from the junk yard HAD (oops) a charge in it. My car did not because of the bad condenser.

I could blow out the condenser and try to collect the oil, flush it with this stuff:
http://www.autoacsystems.com/_store/detail/AR4201.html
Then add the same amount of PAG oil. Maybe an extra 1/2 oz.

A new dryer... Will do.

How much does the book say for a new condenser and dryer?

(how much oil)

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
The best thing to do is replace the filter dryer, flush the entire system, take out the compressor and dump the oil out, replace all the seals and o-rings and put 4.5 ounces of ester oil in it. Also coat all of the seals, o-rings and threads with Nylog, a lubricant and sealer. That way you know how much oil is in the system, without guessing...Mark

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
That would be best but how many are equipped to properly flush and purge the whole system?

I thought junk yards had to reclaim the refrigerant.

In the OP's case, flushing the new condenser would be wise since he doesn't know what was in it. Might have had some leak sealer that you don't want in the system. The stuff in the link would be ok.

The question is how much oil was lost when the old condenser failed. If it blew quick some extra oil might have been carried into the condenser. I'd drain and measure what is in it then try to estimate what blew out, and add that and the proper amount for the drier. Don't have my book here but can look it up tomorrow if I remember.

When my pump went I took out all the hoses and flushed each component so I knew the system was dry.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
That would be best but how many are equipped to properly flush and purge the whole system?

I thought junk yards had to reclaim the refrigerant.
You can rent a device for flushing the system from any good automotive ac parts supply store, but you would still need an air compressor. The solvent is also available there. I was saying best because that eliminates the guessing involved with the oil, 4,5 ozs is a small amount and it would be very easy to over fill with oil. Wrecking yards are required to recover refrigerant and it can be lucrative, especially when r12 is involved and yes I know that tdi's have r134a. I say ester oil because it has no compatibility problems with pag and if a prior owner had changed to ester it would avoid any problems...Mark

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Ok so I am going to rip the compressor out and drain all the oil from the system. I bought a can of Power clean & flush from Advanced Auto to flush the condenser. That link from autoacsystems was a wast of time. Still need to order a dryer.

But right now I am going to eat some Thanksgiving dinner leftovers:D

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
After I got the compressor out I noticed this. But I am 95% sure it was not like that before I started, because I did look at it. And it does not leak when I blow air threw the small hole from the inside. I assume I can buy a new one... Where?

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Oh ya after I removed the pressure relief valve I got some oil out. This is it:confused: Not even 1/2 oz.
I guess it is a good thing I went threw all the trouble.

The best thing to do is replace the filter dryer, flush the entire system, take out the compressor and dump the oil out, replace all the seals and o-rings and put 4.5 ounces of ester oil in it. Also coat all of the seals, o-rings and threads with Nylog, a lubricant and sealer. That way you know how much oil is in the system, without guessing...Mark
Thanks! Except Advance Auto only had PAG 46 oil.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You drained the head and out of the plug in the side of the pump too?

I just noticed your's is a '4. I only have books for the AHU and ALH.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Good call pulling the compressor. The oil guessing game is a real crap shoot, you never really know how much oil is in the system...Mark