01M oil and filter change

military

TDI
2000 Jetta auto
My Jetta has 401K kms on it.I bought it June last year.For the most part,the transmission is working good but I noticed lately that there is a delay going into reverse after a highway run and initial slipping after driving away first thing in the day.This is more frequent now that the weather is colder.I have the maintenance records from day one and there was never been a oil and filter change noted.What is the deal with "lifetime" oil?Should I change it?Thanks

Last edited:

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
Lifetime transmission fluid is for the lifetime of the warranty. By all means change it. You may buy some more life for your automatic This may delay the time you will have to make the decision between converting to a 5 speed or replacing the 01M-if it get rid of the delayedengagement into reverse..

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The site is very useful.I don't have a Vag-com or access to one but I've been told that an IR temp reader would do in a pinch.Any thoughts on this?
Using the VCDS is the proper way to do it . There is a list of people with the VCDS that are willing to help. I believe it's a sticky. I've never tried it with a IR temp reader, I think some have.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I think the IR will work just fine. I've compared one with the VCDS and it was very close.

military

TDI
2000 Jetta auto
I have Mercedes Benz 236.1 automatic trans fluid.Could this be compatible with my 01M?Again, the car has 401,000 kms on it

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I have Mercedes Benz 236.1 automatic trans fluid.Could this be compatible with my 01M?Again, the car has 401,000 kms on it
With the high potential for disaster of these tranny's, I would only use approved VW fluid, unless the Benz stuff is also approved for VW.

military

TDI
2000 Jetta auto
Update.I went to remove the pan and found a huge dent in it(from previous owner).Anyway,got a used pan and removed the old one and found the filter had a big dent as well.Finished the oil change and now the transmission works much better.The short delay forward when cold and the 10 second delay in reverse when hot are gone.FYI

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
What ATF did you use? I put Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my 09A auto trans and it has performed well after three years.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
just realize you only replaced about 50% of it if you only did one drain and fill. its a 5.3L total volume. You can do multiple drain and fills, but its a law of diminishing returns after 3 or 4. You can't get all of it without doing a complete flush and most shops don't have the fittings needed to connect to the ATF cooler on these.

military

TDI
2000 Jetta auto
I realize that.I let it drain for a long time and put in about 3.5 liters of new oil.The car has 403,000 kms on it and for the most part is a local beater(best beater I have owned) with a few long trips as well.If the car was a lot newer,I would do at least 2 drains and refills.The local transmission shop aren't able to flush it so I did it myself

Last edited: