Really cheap clutch kit

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
I thought that my 99.5 came(stock) with a LUK DMF and I am only a couple days away from 350,000 miles on the stock clutch. Granted it has always been stock power.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
So you're saying that it's a case of bad Luk this time?

Yuri
I chuckled.

I put 100k km on a LUK DMF retrofitted into my B4V. Car had STGII and PP520's. No issues with the DMF or clutch at all.

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
just bought a luk from rock auto, was really affordable, seems to be working good so far. neat thing is it didn't even need the aliment tool. It was pre assembled/lined up whit the bolts to mount it to the crank accessible with it assembled.

also all the hardware and the throw-out bearing was included.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I thought it was the Sachs DMFs that didn't last?

Yuri
I cut apart a sachs on the lathe, see how it worked.
It is not one that will come apart and put spring pieces in the bellhousing. No way, no how. 1/8" steel welded ALL around the springs.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i was really under the impression that the LUK kits went much longer.

I've run a variety of SMF kits over the years and nothing really beats the smoothness of a DMF kit

edit: come to think of it, I got 150k out of both of the stock DMF's on the 02 and the 04 (not LUK)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the new LUK kits work fine and hold up great ... the one in my car held up to a tune PD150's and a 17/22, along with other supporting mods... it had just started to slip (barely) under the hardest abuse when i detuned the car and put in a vnt17... still just as smooth as day i bought the car ... has close to 100k miles on it now ... best value, imho, for a clutch kit that's great for stock or moderately tuned cars, smooth, cheap and noise free ... just install and enjoy :)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Sounds good!!! Now, if only we could find an affordable replacement turbo... (I'll be swapping engines soon, and these things are so much easier to replace when everything's out of the car... I may throw in a clutch just on principle...)

Y.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I've got one in my 2002 Jetta wagon and my 2005 Beetle with a 6 speed. Both shift and feel fine.

I'm curious on the negative comments for Luk clutch sets. Can you provide more information on your experiences: number of miles before you had a problem; specific problems/failures you experienced; do you have any engine modifications/tunes?

Thanks.

Eric

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I've got one in my 2002 Jetta wagon and my 2005 Beetle with a 6 speed. Both shift and feel fine.
I'm curious on the negative comments for Luk clutch sets. Can you provide more information on your experiences: number of miles before you had a problem; specific problems/failures you experienced; do you have any engine modifications/tunes?
Thanks.
Eric
the negative comments were based on LUK clutches that had to be replaced at 150k plus miles :confused: .... i think a clutch flywheel has done it's due when it reaches 100k ;)
like this POS LUK clutch/flywheel that only lasted 200k miles ?:confused: LOL!!!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4039134&postcount=4

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the negative comments were based on LUK clutches that had to be replaced at 150k plus miles :confused: .... i think a clutch flywheel has done it's due when it reaches 100k ;)
Eh, mine's at 140k, through 2 other owners, and the second owner says it was mostly his wife and two daughters that drove the car.

Still enough meat on it that I'd toss it back in if I weren't gonna get it relined with kevlar or something grabbier

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i think a clutch flywheel has done it's due when it reaches 100k
Really? I needed to replace the Sachs DMF at 308986 miles... the pivot point was worn through... the DMF was frozen in place, as might be expected... but there was still "meat" on the clutch disk, and I'd love to have these things last at least this long if not abused...

Yuri

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Jimbote,

Thanks for the responses. I agree with you that if the clutch makes it to 100k, I've got my money's worth out of it. Obviously, the more miles you get out of it the better. Thanks.

Eric

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
My 3 personal LUK experiences:

30,000km on stock power, tuned to 'stage 2', horrible flywheel shudder. Removed clutch, flywheel has massive rotational movement.

10,000km on a 'stage 2' setup, same issure, massive rotational movement.

5,000km on stock power, I did an aggressive 'stage 3' setup, wouldn't even hold 3rd gear.

These are 'my experiences'.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I installed at least five of LUK clutches, including on my '04 Jetta with VNT17 and Kerma tune. No issues whatsoever. Every person was really impressed how smooth and light feel the clutch had first time they drove off.

bollweevil

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle tdi
Here's some turbo prices:

Garrett 1285.00 (OEM)
Mahle 1075.00
Vaico 850.00
Borg Warner 875.00 (OEM)

Part # 03G 253 014 R ALH 1.9L
99-04 Golf, Jetta, 98-04 Beetle

I'm very excited, I've reopened my parts company,
running some specials until website is up & running

We are: Sports Car Investment Company, LLC
(traders of new & used BMW parts) AND VW !!
Lexington, Ky

PM if interested, or questions

THANKS

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since these turbos are now considered "routine" wear items, I'm not too thrilled about what they cost... I guess I'll never get into owning a car that has a DPF...

Y.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
A wise man once said.......

Since these turbos are now considered "routine" wear items, I'm not too thrilled about what they cost... I guess I'll never get into owning a car that has a DPF...

Y.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My 3 personal LUK experiences:

30,000km on stock power, tuned to 'stage 2', horrible flywheel shudder. Removed clutch, flywheel has massive rotational movement.

10,000km on a 'stage 2' setup, same issure, massive rotational movement.

5,000km on stock power, I did an aggressive 'stage 3' setup, wouldn't even hold 3rd gear.

These are 'my experiences'.
I got to agree with BuzzKen. Will hardly handle anything more than stock brm torque. Extremely smooth and light feel I like but like ken said 3,4 and 5 with a tune and shudder. the rotational springs and diaphram are to light. I bought mine last year this time and I wonder if changes have being made to the diaphram strength. It has a very light feel compared to my wifes brm with the up dated stock sachs.