Oil Filter Housing/Cap

rockiefan17

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
2003 Jetta ALH

I think the last shop forgot the gasket maybe or just torqued it too tight but I for the life of me cannot get the cap off to replace the oil filter. Any suggestions? I tried strap wrench, the metal socket that fits the cap (but ended up striping the socket), and an large adjustable wrench. Im afraid of breaking it at $60 OEM replacement. Anybody else had this issue?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Haven't had this issue but if I had this problem, I would procure myself a good, solid used filter cap and do whatever it took to get the old one off. After that, replace the o-ring and re-install the new to your car cap.

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
Use a paper towel. Here's the trick: get a full sized sheet of paper towel. Fold it in half twice, to a quarter of its normal size. Place it over the filter cap. Place your metal filter cap socket over it, making sure to match the flats up with the filter cap beneath the paper towel. You may have to tap it on with a mallet or something. Use slow, steady, but substantial torque to remove it as you normally would. Add an extension or breaker bar if you need to. Slow and steady, not jerky. The filter cap wrench won't slip with the paper towel taking up the void between the two and giving a much better mechanical coupling. The cap socket will be a little tricky to get off afterwards, but a little wiggling, tapping and prying should do it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've found a few that were extremely too tight but was able to break them loose.

That cap only needs to be basically hand tight....... the O-ring does the sealing, not how tight the lid is torqued!

That cap and the oil drain plugged are the two most over abused items on an engine, in my opinion!

rockiefan17

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I see I did not pay close enough attention to the year.

rockiefan17

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
If I bust it, wont I be dead where I sit, as in doesnt that system need to be closed to drive? Ill need a spare just in case I do break it, correct?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If I bust it, wont I be dead where I sit, as in doesnt that system need to be closed to drive? Ill need a spare just in case I do break it, correct?
Haven't had this issue but if I had this problem, I would procure myself a good, solid used filter cap and do whatever it took to get the old one off. After that, replace the o-ring and re-install the new to your car cap.
Yes you would be dead where you sat. Hence, what I said above...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://www.amazon.com/Napa-Heavy-Filter-Wrench-77-3529/dp/B005ZLO5DC

when you said strap wrench, was it something like this, or a smaller one from home depot meant for plumbing parts?

sounds like the filter end did not strip, but where the wrench went into the adapter.

if a strap wrench made for oil filters does not work, you could try a chain type filter wrench.

question is if one of these tools ends up less than a new cap. (if you have a pipe wrench and can get it in position to use.)

You probably could buy a cap from the dealer, and take it back if you get the old one off in shape to reuse it. (ask when you pick it up)

good luck

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
There are a few problems at play here I'm guessing. The filter wrench you linked to is stamped steel, correct? All the plastic and stamped metal ones I've used fit loose. You'll notice the description says "74-76mm". Ours is 74mm and both the plastic and stamped ones up to 76mm are just oversized enough to be a problem. Mine used to get jammed half way on the flats all the time. Answer=THIS . This is a quality wrench of the correct size and if it can't get it off, break out the hacksaw. Alternatives would be big channel locks. Get a replacement first. This one may take a beating. Also, try when it's hot if you haven't already. The difference in expansion between the alum. body and cap may work in your favor.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I reread the first post. he stripped the square part where the socket wrench fits, not where the adapter fits to the cover.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
With replacement filter cap in hand (lying on my work bench), I'd remove the stuck cap the old fashion way. A chisel and hammer will break it loose. Methodically, tap/knock the cap with the chisel & hammer in a number of different places around it's circumference ........ do not hit the aluminum edge of the housing.

A hack saw will leave the threaded part still in place along the inner circumference of the aluminum housing! A hack saw will allow cuttings to fall inside the housing.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Must not have been very sturdy. Or a victim of massive abuse... :) Still, the size issue can be another annoyance and hinders removing stubborn caps. I totally agree with the statements above. When replacing, a little fresh oil on a new o-ring and you can tighten it by hand. When the cap flange meets the housing body, you're pretty much done. Hand tight is all that's needed. They will get stuck and require more to remove but, obviously, this is an extreme case. I'm still an advocate for getting a correct sized, quality cap wrench though. The Assenmacher is cast aluminum, fits well and will not flex.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
With replacement filter cap in hand (lying on my work bench), I'd remove the stuck cap the old fashion way. A chisel and hammer will break it loose. Methodically, tap/knock the cap with the chisel & hammer in a number of different places around it's circumference ........ do not hit the aluminum edge of the housing.

A hack saw will leave the threaded part still in place along the inner circumference of the aluminum housing! A hack saw will allow cuttings to fall inside the housing.

Sorry, I was kind of kidding... Hacksawing it off is not a good idea. A large pair of channel locks, assuming you could get any swing, should work.

danny2012

TDI
2012 Jetta
Look for a band type wrench with a 3/8 drive you can then use an extension a breaker bar and a cheater bar to ensure smooth even torque. I'm a mechanic for pepboys and encounter filters over torqued all the time. Chevy small block filters are surrounded by the oil pan the new guys are always asking to use mine to get them off.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Steel band wrench usually does the best for me. Barring that, the channellock 460 comes out. After that, the chisel.

Sometimes they are still usable even after some careful chisel work.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I suspected you were just kidding with us. (Hacksaw)

I have several different styles of oil filter wrenches. But, occasionally drastic action is required to remove a filter or in this case, the cap!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hacksaw'd take off the shoulder of the plastic cap, then it'd thread out by hand.

Same with taking the barrel off the action of a SMLE, they put them on there insanely tight, so you chuck it up in the lathe and take a cut on the shoulder of the barrel right next to the action, to take the tension off the threads. Usually pretty sloppy fitting threads, too, once you get them loose.

need4speed

Veteran Member
Here's what I would do. (don't do this; it's stupid).

Drill a hole on either side of the filter cap, stick something like a socket extension through the hole, and use that to turn the filter-cap. Then epoxy/jbweld the holes. (and be prepared for: cracking the cap and having to buy a new one anyway).

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Juust unscrew the cap on the oil cooler, and screw in a spin on oil filter center bolt thingy.

Then run a spin on filter from underneath, and once the cartridge filter gets too plugged up it'll just bypass through the filter bypass valve in the big aluminum dittybopper. The filter screwed to the bottom of the oil cooler will have already filtered the oil though.