Remote Keyless

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Hello folks,
I was wondering if I buy a uncut key let’s say from EBay or so, will I be able to program the remote to work in my Beetle 2001?
I only have the valet key. I see these keys being sold all over EBay but I am not sure if it is programmable from car to car.
Will the dealer cut a blank key based on the valet I have? Has anyone done this before?
Thanks

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
You can program the fob and imobilizer through vag com.
As far as the key itself I am unsure if you can get the key cut. A locksmith may be able to cut a blank however probably unlikely. When vw orders keys typically they come straight from Germany.
Car brands typically don't use a lot of different key variations so if you have access to an auto wrecker and have some time you might be able to find one with the same cut as yours. Use the door as a tester.
If you want to save some money order the key fob (the remote from ebay) and the switchblade from vw. unless you get lucky at the auto wrecker. typically they cut the key off of the vin#

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
The remotes can be reprogrammed no problem. Just make sure you get the proper part number for a 2001 beetle. You will need VCDS to program the remote.
Lots of locksmiths can cut a Huf/sidewinder type of key. Locally for me the cost is 20 to 25 dollars. The VW keys have more then 65000 combinations so the odds of finding the correct key at a wrecker is pretty slim.

The last hurdle is the immobilizer. That can be done with VCDS if you have the SKC from your cars cluster. If you don't have it you'll need to go to VW, or find someone with VagTacho or similar software who can extract the SKC from the cluster. Or just buy a copy for yourself.

So its all do-able but its not a 2 minute process.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
This is part number will work on your car:
1J0 959 753 F
Or 1J0 959 753 T
DO NOT BUY
1J0 959 753 AM or DC
. These are for 2002+ cars.

Dealer will not key if you did not buy from them. Only Lock Smith will if you find one around you that can cut that kind of key.

Last edited:

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
Not so fast there!

1.Yes the key can be cut from EBAY.
2.The remote can be programmed somewhat easy if you have the old remotes.

BUT the key most likley will not work for 2 reasons:
The ebay keys look the same and can be cut but they are made from junk metal that makes them harder to cut then OEM.

The Car needs to be matched to the key with VAGCOM.
but GOOD LUCK getting the CODE for vagcam.

There are guys that say the can open your CPU or ECM of the car and get a code that vagcam can use so you can match the key. But check before you buy.

The code I am talking about is not the KEY code for cutting the key. It is a 4 or 7 digit code that immobolizer needs to allow VAGCOM to access it. VW will not give you the code and they say they access Germany via the internet with their computer to match keys.

So it is easy IF you can get the code!
Check with Ross-tech and they will tell you the same.
They used to have the instructions posted on how to match keys but that is if you can get the code for the ECM.

I bought a EBAY key and had it cut- It runied the cutter at the VW because the metal was wrong type. But they got it cut. I have VAGCOM but whats the use without the code to access the ecm?

Last edited:

Seth700s

TDI
2013 Jetta -purchased new
I have bought a Ebay master key w/remote. It was only $35. I found not many dealers cut keys. The one I did find was cool about everything. The cost to cut it was $20. I was able to program the remote to lock/unlock everything but the key still needs to be programed to the car this is the immobilizer part. The car will just run for 5 seconds tops and shut off the immobilizer icon on the dash will light up. The dealer charged me $50. If you were to buy everything from VW it would be well over $200.

Word of warning: I was told by 2 dealers that they wouldn't touch a uncut key or a remote not bought from a dealer. Also make sure to buy the right key/remote for your year. Most sellers on ebay will and should have that in the listing.

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I bought the key and remote from an ebay dealer went to one VW dealer he said $15 to cut the key and $85 for the immobilizer programing went to another VW dealer 12 miles away he cut the key for free and charged me $50 to program the immobilizer neither one of them had a problem with cutting the key. Pays to shop around. The remote part is a piece of cake.Just be sure to buy the right one for your car pull the old apart and the type code is printed inside.