ALH Valve Cover keeps leaking! Help please!!

Blk97vr6

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Gls
Okay, so i have an ALH, and i've replaced the valve cover 3X times trying to remedy the leaking oil. i know its leaking b/c when i pull the cover I can see the oil pooling in the right hand corner and the oil is all over the back of the engine.

twice I've used RTV to try and make a better seal, but no dice.. what can be going on here?? I'm so lost :(

could something else be attributed to all my valve covers leaking from the exact same spot?? the sucker is tight too... ive already had to place a helicoil due to me stripping a hole.. argh

Its now leaving a puddle of oil on my driveway

any help would help! :)

felix

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
EGR....???

Crack in the head near that area...?

Is it possible that the oil in the drive-way is coming from the turbo or turbo piping?

Blk97vr6

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Gls
i've tracked the leak to a small weep from the egr ( to be replaced in the next week) and the other in the corner of the VC.-Most of the oil is coming from here...

turbo and lines are good (thank goodness.)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Typically, I put a small dab of RED RTV in the "corners" where the VC gasket goes up and over the cam cap on each end of the head. Otherwise, RTV or anything similar is not necessary.

Yep, the EGR can be an oily mess. It is not serviceable. The seal that goes kaput is internal and there's basically zero options to replace it.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
If youre certain its the valve cover gasket, go to a ford dealership, buy a tube of their grey rtv for the 7.3 powerstroke, we use it at work on oil pans on macks and cummins, powerstrokes, its the best silicone you can buy ive came across so far

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Well vw has blue goo gasket sealer but it's over 100 bucks a tube my parts guy "found" some for me.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
As improbable as it seems, you must be missing something. As you've replaced the VC 3 times, then it stands to reason the problem is on the head side. Which end, vacuum pump or cam sprocket? Have you 'straight-edged' the area? Inspected w/strong light for cracks, deformities? It may be elusive but no magic involved. Most seal down w/no problem.

thesupercat

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 1996 Dodge Cummins 4x4, 1991 Dodge Cummins.
Sounds like the problem is found but remember whenever putting gasket sealer on anything make sure both surfaces are completely degreased. I use a tiny dribble of brake cleaner where the valve cover seats on the head, agitate it with my finger, then carefully blow it off with compressed air, being sure not to blow any oil up. (Hold air chuck 1/8" from surface and blow lightly.) If I am not sure, I repeat. I seem to be always taking the thing off to mess with the timing or something and have never replaced the gasket (except the first time of course) or had a leak. Like AndyBees, I only put the gasket sealer in the 'corners'. Personally, I like Permatex Ultra Black. Never had a problem with that stuff. Use it even on differential covers and never had a leak. Thoroughly degreasing is the key.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
If you do a turbo boost check, spray some soapy water around the valve cover, you should see where any leaks are that may throw oil.

I found my reason for an oily mess was where the round and straight on the valve cover gets together at the vacuum pump - gray sealer (loctite product) solved it.

Blk97vr6

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI Gls
Thanks for all the input guys.. I'm going to start looking into all the ideas!

Hopefully I can finally nip this leak in the bud!

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
and why oh why can we not get the gasket seperate from the valve cover???

If the oil is mostly running down the back of the engine, it is the valve cover gasket (or the EGR valve is weeping, or the PCV connection is broken), if it is running mostly onto the gearbox, it is either the vacuum pump gasket or the front of the gasket.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Not really. Leaks can come from the top of the vac pump, hit the head and run to the back. Also the two end cam bearing caps are glued down with sealant at the corners and can leak from there too. Also the airflow running thru the engine compartment will blow that oil to the back of the engine.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Not really. Leaks can come from the top of the vac pump, hit the head and run to the back. Also the two end cam bearing caps are glued down with sealant at the corners and can leak from there too. Also the airflow running thru the engine compartment will blow that oil to the back of the engine.
Thanks, good to know, I did not

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
AndyBees x2. You'd be amazed at how oil can travel far. I was convinced I had a valve cover leak some years ago. Was also thinking I had a rear main seal leak (coming out crankshaft seal behind flywheel). The real culprit turned out to be a worn EGR valve. Oil was leaking out bottom of EGR, running across the entire back edge of valve cover, then down back of engine. Replacing the EGR valve fixed it (in my case).

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Could this be part of the problem? The torque spec on this is only 7 lbs.
Yeah, there's definitely some truth to "too much of a good thing". Would be nice if the OP checked back and let us know if he's found it yet.

normalicy

TDI
2000 Beetle
I know I'm dragging this out of the death, but what did you end up finding out? I'm curious because I have a mystery leak & it's not the EGR (just replaced). Was really disappointed to find that I had to replace my entire valve cover.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If it is the gasket and I assume it is a rubber valve cover gasket, my friend swears by Permatex Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing, 85409. Valve cover gaskets that are known to leak on cars he works on are bone dry a year later.

I bought some myself for my chain cover gaskets.

Of course you have to make sure your sealing surfaces are good and not warped.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
OP hasn't posted since May.
Never had a problem with these VC gaskets on the ALH, small bit of sealant in the hard corners only. Someone mentioned the vacuum pump could cause a leak.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
With an AMC replacement head I got from Franko6 (long story....left me none-too-impressed), I had a small spitting leak from the #5 bearing cap / valve cover midway up the rounded portion of the cap (no leak before head replacement); put some Dirko RTV in there for now and it seems to be holding.