A good seasonal maintenance

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
For those of you who live in areas where there are dirt roads, this is a great time to do a very easy/valuable maintenance. I have my snow tires on rims and when I change them over I clean out the empty space behind the wheel well just above the mudflap. I always get at least 3/4 of a coffee cup worth of wet (always wet) sand and muck out of that space. Where i live its also salty on the spring side of tire changing. This will help the life of your rocker panels and that lower fender.

A few screws and its all done, even if you dont drive dirt roads it pays to this now and again.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I placed a nylon spacer on the bottom bolt of my right side wheel well liner so that dirt, leaves, etc. can drain out.

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
It's also a good idea to try cleaning out the brake bushings as well. A lot of junk likes to accumulate there.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
not a JOKE

It's also a good idea to try cleaning out the brake bushings as well. A lot of junk likes to accumulate there.
I belive this person is not crack'en a joke.
He is talking about the caliper guide rubber "bushings".
These do become cruddy and cause the caliper to bind resulting in uneven brake pad wear.
This situation is more common on the front calipers than the rears.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
For those of you who live in areas where there are dirt roads, this is a great time to do a very easy/valuable maintenance. I have my snow tires on rims and when I change them over I clean out the empty space behind the wheel well just above the mudflap. I always get at least 3/4 of a coffee cup worth of wet (always wet) sand and muck out of that space. Where i live its also salty on the spring side of tire changing. This will help the life of your rocker panels and that lower fender.

A few screws and its all done, even if you dont drive dirt roads it pays to this now and again.
I do this too, aswell as clean/lube the brake guide pins and I also clean out the spring pearch on the struts, always full of grit.
I do some more things too, check the E-brake Cable and arm for stickiness and check the tie rod ends and ball joints for play.

It takes an hour for me to change tires but it's a good time to do some well needed preventive maintenance. Road salt is a killer :mad: