Timing belt

PARKERS250R

TDI
2000 1.9 TDI BEETLE
I have a 2004 beetle tdi that the timming belt broke on. does this mean that damage was done to head and valves??

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
If you want to do it yourself, there is a guy around here named FrankO6.

You can send your head to him and he can give you everything you need to get back up and running.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Complete Cylinder Head (A4 BEW)
[bew_cylinder_head] $1,949.00

Cylinder Head Install Kit (A4 BEW)
[BEW_Cylhead_installkit] $59.99

Timing Belt Kit (A4 BEW)
[tb_kit_bew_gates] $199.95

Pentofrost ++ G12 Plus Plus Coolant 1.5L [Pentosin]
[g12plus15L_HT] $12.95

20k Service Kit (A4 BEW)
[mk4_bew_20k_service] $61.95

Tandem Pump Gasket (BEW)(BRM)(BHW)
[tandempumpgasket] $15.60

Injector Rocker Bolts [8] (BEW)(BRM)(BHW)
[injectorrockerbolts] $76.64
Just to get started

From IDPARTS.com

Bob Mann

Last edited:

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
I am brand new to the tdiclub and new to a 2000 vw beetle tdi. It suddenly has developed a high pitched noise coming from left hand side of the motor that gets louder the higher the rpm. At idle noise is still there and idle is irradic, any ideas, I don't have a vw specific mechanic and do not want to go to a dealer. Thanks in advance for any help!!
Could be an ALH from this post in another thread.

OP (you may be aware) the 2000 and 2004 TDIs have different engine designs.

PARKERS250R

TDI
2000 1.9 TDI BEETLE
My Bad

It is actually a 2004 tdi beetle, I have tried to edit my info but cant for some reason,but again thanks so much for all the valuable information!!!! Only paid 3 grand for the car, it is in perfect condition with only 53000 miles except now for a broken belt and screwed head. Wondering if this is not just the beginning?!?

Tony50

TDI
01 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 03 Golf, 04 Jetta, 06 Jetta
I don't know what Frank would charges but, keep in mind that the engine from the junkyard may come with it's own issues. You have to weigh it all out. Good Luck!

need4speed

Veteran Member
If you're lucky, you only damaged the head and valves.

Sometimes, (less likely) you have a damaged piston and/or rod and/or crank. Sometimes, the wreckage will come out the exhaust, and destroy the turbo vanes. Hope the damage is minimal, in your case.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
It is actually a 2004 tdi beetle, I have tried to edit my info but cant for some reason,but again thanks so much for all the valuable information!!!! Only paid 3 grand for the car, it is in perfect condition with only 53000 miles except now for a broken belt and screwed head. Wondering if this is not just the beginning?!?
The beginning of you taking care of it better? Well, then...yes I guess. The engines are very durable as long as the maintenance is done on it, especially the timing belt system.

I have 328K miles and have done all the timing belt work on it. Engine runs like a champ. So can yours.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thank you guys for the recommendations. Please note, it is Franko6 not Frank ZERO Six...

Whatever the problem with these engines, we do have proven results. We know the engine and the best way to get the job done.

Feel free to contact me. I may be available sporadically over the next few days.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
BTW: We do have a good operating BEW long block. 138,000 miles. The head was removed. We checked the block, reinstalled the head and have a new timing belt installed and timed. It is clean inside and out and ready to install. $2500 + shipping. It has a Stage II cam, with modified bearings for cam oiling improvement.

PARKERS250R

TDI
2000 1.9 TDI BEETLE
Timing belt help please

Well I had my head rebuilt put everything back together, turns over, have fuel, will not start. Any suggestions PLEASE!!!