Torque Difference-Multiple cylinders

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
So I'm getting p1004-1105-1006 Torque Difference Limit Exceeded-intermittent code on multiple cylinders.
Dumped some diesel purge in, but has not made a difference in the few 100kms I've run it so far.

Only does it when engine is cold int he morning while accelerating. It sounds pretty knocky like an old 1.6 diesel when it's cold and accelerating about 2000rpm. Goes away when things are warm.

Any ideas out there. I've had the emissions fix done, and if my extended warranty will look after it, I'll run it to the dealer. Otherwise I want to stay far away from there.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We had one in here like this, after the fix, and I input the (same) injector calibration numbers in the ECU and it fixed it. I wonder if this is supposed to be done during the reflash but gets skipped?

dtreid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 128k km
CEL has been going on every few mornings. After several stop/start cycles it has gone out.
I took it to VW to hopefully get new injectors under warranty...when I took it in the CEL was off, but they were still able to pull the codes.

Long story short, they deemed it 'environmental conditions' and won't do anything. Said it was likely due to me not letting the glow plug light go out before starting (which it wasn't). Brought it home, and now a day later the light came on again when the engine was cold accelerating.

I'm not sure what else I can do. How can I convince the dealer that I do in fact have a problem and then get them to do something about it?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Call VWoC customer support?

Be persistent but persuasive.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
And if that doesn't work, call the lawyers working for the dieselgate plaintiffs. I'm sure they would love to hear about warranty issues not being decided in favor of the vehicle owner.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Any update on this? dtreid, I wish you would let us know. We have had this problem on cold mornings now for quite a while and it is getting worse. I would appreciate any updates you can provide.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I also had this issue. I think it was code 1006 for cylinder 3 and code 1004 for cylinder 1.
The problem seemed to go away after the engine warmed up. Until then, the engine felt like it was misfiring or only running on 3 cylinders.

I ended up having 2 injectors replaced (first cylinder 3 and then cylinder 1) by the dealer under the Post-Fix extended warranty. Unfortunately the two codes did not show at the same time and it required 2 trips to the dealer.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We had one in here like this, after the fix, and I input the (same) injector calibration numbers in the ECU and it fixed it. I wonder if this is supposed to be done during the reflash but gets skipped?

can injector calibration be done via VCDS? or need something stronger?

Bward

TDI
2012 Jetta
Wondering if anyone here can help me or give me some insight! I just did a stage 2 Malone tune on my 2012 “fixed” jetta 2 days ago and drove approximately 300km with no issues but last night on my way home it threw and engine code so I plugged in my reader and got multiple codes for p1004,p1005,p1006,p1007 did a little Research and seems to be a cylinder torque difference code for each cylinder! Wondering if this may have something to do with the tune! Cleared codes and drove to work this morning without popping back up just want to know if anyone else has possibly experienced something like this!

UMRMiner98

TDI
2013 Passat
I’ve had this same issue on mine as well. #3 injector was replaced under warranty. It took 2 years of the same issue for it to turn the check engine light on. After I bought VCDS I can see that the same code is showing on 2 other cylinders. Planning on running. I’ll let you know what happens after I tune.

Offrder

TDI
2012 passat
Im currently having the same issue with my 2012 passat, does anyone know if this problem is covered under that "Tdi scandal extended coverage" before i start getting involved with a dealer? Im a mechanic for a living and hate dealing with anyone else having to work on my car. Thanks in advance

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I've had the same issue, always cylinder #1. First trip to the dealership, they fixed the def heater recall and wouldn't do anything else. Of course light came back on. Second trip (~ a week later) they replaced the #1 glow plug. So far ok and all covered under extended warranty. I really thought they were going to replace an injector. I have about 13K miles left on the extended warranty and I think they are just trying to slowly push things along until that runs out?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Update: Of course light came back on, same P1004. This time VAG hotline directed them to test fuel rail pressures at injectors -all good (of course). Next they drained the tank, cleaned tank, refilled and bled the injectors. Road tested fine that day, let it sit overnight. Cold start at the dealership next morning, same clacking issue and MIL lights up with (you guessed it) P1004! They retested fuel rail, still good and determined they needed to replace injector (sounds like something I mentioned during the first visit to the dealer). Now with a new injector it works great, no problems when cold, no clacking at all!

Offrder

TDI
2012 passat
VERY late update, I brought it to the dealership in early december 2020, VW themselves (not dealership) said its the turbo, was on national backorder for 11 months ( during which time VW said to drive the vehicle) eventually they replaced the entire turbo/manifold setup as well as the DPF filter all free under warranty! and I got my car back in november 2021