04 F-150 Tdi swap

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 AHU (in progress) Mk2 GTi 8V MkIV Jetta12VR
before you think its a huge truck and a tiny engine, let me put into perspective the F-150 i drove back in 2004 had a 202hp 252 ft. lb tq v6 in it. It moved just fine and had plenty of power.
Im in california which means i cannot use an ALH, i have to use a 2004 or newer engine. So worst case scenario i use a PD from a 2004. I dont see why with a malone stage 2 140whp/252wtq wouldnt be perfectly acceptable. ( i do not plan to do any towing )

Im not sure what the best case scenario engine to install is, i definately do not want a DEF system, as if it came on the car i get the swap from, i have to use it in california. I could delete it later but i'd rather not have that hassle of adding it initially unless its really worth it, which im pretty sure its not.

pd150 maybe? I've seen those things pumped up to 200hp/300tq and would actually probably be a great little engine.

I would, however be planning on all the supporting mods for the enigne starting with a turbo upgrade, lowered compression, nozzles/injectors (again not too familiar with the newer stuff, if its even possible), and upgraded fasteners.

I dont know much about anything newer than the ALH, but my main concern would be finding an adapter plate or having one custom made.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I think the weight of the truck would tip the fuel economy into average as the engine would be working a lot harder to push the truck compared to a little Golf or Jetta. Have you considered a V6 TDI or a 5 cylinder (harder to find in North America)?

There is an older pickup with a TDI in it and that would be good to look at as far as how the little motor is doing pushing around that truck. I think it is an ALH swap but too sure of the thread.

Sounds like a fun project as most of them are!

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
my gut instinct is that the engine would have to work pretty hard to move that truck. Yes, they can pretty easily make 200hp, but running at that level of power for a long period of time (like you would in a truck hauling any weight at any speed) might be a bit much for the engine, and reduce its greatness quite a bit.

To me, a TDI swapped truck should be able to retain the TDI in a mild state of tune, maybe 120-140 HP.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You'll want a bigger turbo to try to control EGTs and boost, KP39s have a hard enough time operating properly on a stock car let alone a modified one, wouldn't install that turbo if it was free.

A VNT17 will cut it, there are newer better turbos though if your pockets are a bit deeper. Dave @ fastforward just moved some of his wife's stuff over the weekend from Kamloops to Quesnel (mountainous BC) in an alh ranger with a vnt17. 6400lb total weight, no problem holding 75mph on the highway with 12-1350F EGTs, but had to hold 3rd @ 45 on a long 8% grade to keep under 1650f.

PD150 would work great, I'd only run a vnt15 if it's for bombing around town, vnt17 or a newer VRK/GTC/GTD setup for highway use would be best. GTB1756 are a happy medium of power reliability and size.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Thw4ork,

Last time I check - local BAR offices were not permitted to approve any diesel conversions. All diesel conversion applications had to be forwarded to Sacramento for approval. And Sacramento was not approving any diesel conversion.

Hopefully, things have changed. BUT you might want to check very carefully before you start on a project you may not be able to register in California.

This is the reason I searched high and low to find a Jeep Comanche with an original factory diesel engine. I had no problem with registering the truck in California because it had the "magic" VIN number indicating a Factory Diesel.

Please post what you find out for the rest of us.