Shock & Strut Mounts

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
I'm putting my shopping list for a suspension overhaul to my '02 Jetta wagon. What's the prevailing thought (or at least your opinion) on whether to go with genuine VW parts vs aftermarket such as Sachs or Meyle?

bogievw

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon- why yes, it is silver. How'd you know?
Really...why not use the TT lower control arm bushing? I'll be going with the TT LCA bushing and subframe bushings. I have these on my Golf and love the way it handles.

I'll be using Koni FSD shocks & struts. I noticed that the IDParts.com FSD kit comes with Sachs strut mounts and bearings and Meyle shock mounts. I'm just wondering if the genuine VW counterparts are better, worse or no different.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I think he meant he WAS using the tt bushings :)

I have about 50K miles on my FSDs and sachs mounts. No complaints yet. I think Herm has advised to keep the OEM strut nuts and toss the Koni ones in the garbage, though.

Last edited:

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Dunno about the indiviual parts but just picked up some 034 track density strut mount bushings from idparts.com, typical strut mounts might last 30-60k miles so at $45 a piece this might keep the alignment in spec longer.

Also DO upgrade to the AudiTT/R32 LCA rear bushing, much more rubber than stock and last longer as well. If your rear axle bushings are still centered I wouldn't worry about replacing them, they are a PAIN! But if they aren't in great shape you have many choices that are around.

I am not sure if your planning on it but I have some Meyle replacement inner/outer tie rod assemblies but haven't installed them due to some threads about them wearing out much quicker than OEM. So do some research before shopping.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe Sachs makes strut and shock mounts for VW (although there may be other makers, too). We carry those mounts only, and control arm bushings from CRP (Meistersatz) and Lemforder, also OE suppliers. Figuring out what is original equipment is a bit byzantine, as you need to consider manufacturer, who packages the products for the aftermarket, and manufacturing location. To get exactly the same product as came on your car would be a challenge.

I've had good luck with Sachs mounts on my wagon, although I'm a bit of a suspension slut so they get changed often. The ones that are in there now are coming up on two years (about 35-40K) and I'll probably replace them this spring and have the car aligned, although I don't have any symptoms of wear yet.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Another vote for the 034MS strut mounts / TT control arm bushings. I was seriously impressed (till a strut started leaking & sidelined the car) at how solid yet comfortable the strut mounts were. No regrets here. :D