You know you're obsessed when....

Jonesey

TDI
Don't have it yet
You know you\'re obscessed when....

Man, this post is getting really long. It's hilarious though. I can't wait until I have a TDI. And with that comes my addition:
-Read about other TDIclub members rants about their TDI obsessions, in hopes that one day you will be able to completely share they're pride of ownership.

marshalgene

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Silver

It really cranks me off when I talk to someone who has a TDI, and doesn't have a clue about it. They just bought it because Consumer Reports said it gets great fuel economy. I even talked to one old lady who didn't even know what the glow plug was, or that it was even a diesel!

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member

When your wife says your TDI is your other sweetie. You say yeah it is. Main reason is the TDI doesn't talk (sass) back...
Needless to say, I had to scrape her off the ceiling after saying that to her.

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS

When you drive without the A/C when it's 90 deg outside, with 90% humidity just to increase your fuel mileage, and your windows are up!

You consider it a great sacrifice to turn on the A/C when your significant other is panting in the passenger seat, and scratching at the glass, trying to get out...

My wife has even taught my 2 year old daughter how to ask daddy to turn on the air conditioner. She can't quite get "conditioner" out properly, but it's definitely recognizable, and it's ohh soo cute!

TurbineTech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta

....your kids call all non-TDI cars "gassers" and ones without the 1.8T badge the 2-slow

....you do and EGR mod for your ex-wifes TDI and nag here to take it in for an oil change

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI

I wonder how many of you ever drove a 1.5L non-turbo diesel (48hp / 52lb-ft) up hill with the AC on ?? Or coming up to a stop light in one of these you drop the parachute out the back to slow down ( AKA cut on the AC ) . It was so bad that VwAG had to redesign a special AC compressor for the diesel models . It was a given that at a stop light you had to cut off the AC to start & once you are up to speed then cut the AC back on . You had to be really commited to drive one of these or obscessed to drive one of these old things when they were new . And nuts to have owned as many of these things as I have . I've owned 3 1.5L's over the years & many 1.6L non-turbo . I followed the TDI's from their inceptioin in 1990 for Audi & always knew that I would have a few of them when given the chance . I've seen my Passat engine sitting on my floor in pieces , so I think I qualify as Obscessed . The old diesels were impressive when it came to high mpg , these TDI's are impressive on all fronts . High mpg & lots of power to boot . As soon as I found a car that got better mpg than my motorcycle , I was hooked & will always be . Obscessed you decide .

Good Will To All , I hope your TDI obscession is never cured .,
David

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars

On your ride home, you hear about the massive power failure affecting the eastern seaboard and feel all will be ok as long as the link to Fred's remains intact!

Then you think ... oh, filling stations might be closed! Then you remember, that's okay, I won't need to buy fuel for another month or so!

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer

You visit several customers in a day, asking each one "Is it OK if I borrow your PC to check my mail?".... and you're really at Fred's scanning the new posts.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!

I wonder how many of you ever drove a 1.5L non-turbo diesel (48hp / 52lb-ft) up hill with the AC on ?? Or coming up to a stop light in one of these you drop the parachute out the back to slow down ( AKA cut on the AC ) .
Been there done that.. My first experience driving came learning on my dad's 79 Diesel Rabbit. My friends would laugh when I'd turn on the turbo. (i.e. shut off the ac) the difference was noticable. Stopping, downshifting could be enhanced by again turning on the AC. Don't mention starting on hills. I took my driving test in the car, the first thing the officer said was " If you stall a stick shift, you automatically fail". Then proceeded to take me on the hilliest of the 3 approved road test courses, and do a 3 pt turn on a hilly residential intersection. ( I passed..) My first car, (all mine) was an 83 Rabbit Diesel. It had a 1.6. I thought I was something with that extra .1 L displacement.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

I also had a '79 diesel rabbit, one of the last German built ones imported. Great car. It was actually peppier than the 1.6L cars because they were geared a bit lower. But 70 MPH and that 4 speed just wasn't enough! The 1.5L had higher compression and were a bit noisier. It would easily dust my '91 1.6L. But, even if I can't win the race, I know I'll always finish
And yes, when you kick the A/C on it is pretty tough to get moving from a standstill, especially on a hill. My turbodiesel Quantum had an A/C cutout when the acccelerator was depressed fully and the car was in first gear...because before the turbo kicked in that car was dangerously slow. The '91 has no such luxury, but I deal with it. Needless to say the first time I slipped behind the wheel of a TDI (a '96 Passat) I thought I died and went to heaven!

oriley

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 black Golf

....when your finished reading all of them and are sad that you have to wait till tomorrow to see more posts to this thread!
...after reading you so SO glad that you are not the only one out there that does these things also!
...I have even wondered how many drops are in one gallon...so then I could convert drips to miles..
... your girlfriend just sies every time you snicker at a post, and rolls her eyes and says go for a drive for gods sake

I saw sombody say something about a "Vag Com" cable? what's this....

....You know your obscessed when you feel compelled to follow every sentence you say with - "I drive a TDI and get 3 times your gas mileage"!!

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d

rotarykid said:
You had to be really commited to drive one of these or obscessed to drive one of these old things.
Committed, and you had to learn to plan ahead, especially when passing!

Also, the part about cutting off the A/C for leaving a stop light, I do that now in my TDI. In fact, I'm so obsessed with mpg that I try to only run the A/C when the engine is on overrun (i.e. going downhill or slowing to a stop). Sick...

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE

NussWag said:
...you make a special trip across town for fuel because a) you know its the best around, b) you want to drive your car and c) you rationalize that it only cost you an extra 10-15 cents.

...no matter what the social setting is, you manage to get into a discussion of TDI's, fuel economy, and the merits of the diesel engine.

...you are dissapointed when you pass another TDI on the road and they don't wave back.

...starting your car just makes you smile.

...you wish for a longer commute so you can spend more time with your car.
Everything you just said applys to my everyday life!!! This is a great topic!!

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

You know you're obsessed when your significant other has "casually mentioned", more than once, that you go, ummm, sleep with your TDI...

Keith

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

rotarykid said:
I wonder how many of you ever drove a 1.5L non-turbo diesel (48hp / 52lb-ft) up hill with the AC on ?? Or coming up to a stop light in one of these you drop the parachute out the back to slow down ( AKA cut on the AC ) . It was so bad that VwAG had to redesign a special AC compressor for the diesel models . It was a given that at a stop light you had to cut off the AC to start & once you are up to speed then cut the AC back on . You had to be really commited to drive one of these or obscessed to drive one of these old things when they were new.
Hey, I had a Renault 5 that did that air-conditioner thing. 'Course, anyone who bought a 5 was committed -- or should have been. Back in my "gasser" VW days, I used to bring in my car for service and borrow my dealer's NA diesel program car. Those things did not speed up so much as they gathered momentum. And, yes, you could use the A/C as a drogue chute. That aside, though, they weren't bad cars.

I've had lots of chuckles identifying myself in these posts. We are one sick bunch ...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

...when you are filling up and you feel the sudden urge to hug the big guy with the "Smitty" nametag on his shirt as he fills his big Cummins powered Dodge Ram.

...when your wife gives the gal at her work the riot act for buying a 1.8T Jetta instead of a TDI.

...when you feel disgusted when you see a smoke-belching dump truck that does no good for the image of diesels.

...when your wife understands if you have to use her canola oil to pre-fill your fuel filter because you didn't realize you didn't have any loose fuel laying about.

...when a neighbor or coworker sees you with your nose up against the back of your car to smell the wonderful smell of burning soybeans.

...when you actually laugh in someones face when they find out their VR6's spark plugs are $13 apiece (sorry, Sis').

...when the only riding lawn mower you really want is a $5200 Kubota with a tiny 2 cylinder diesel.

...when you take a test drive in a Dodge Sprinter at one dealership, then 2 weeks later go to another and find the same salesman working there..(er, um, well...still thinking about it, sir.).

...and, when VOA's cusomer service rep knows you by name and says "No, Mr. Johnston, the 2004 Passat TDIs are not available yet, I'll talk to you again next week!"

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

oilhammer said:
...when you actually laugh in someones face when they find out their VR6's spark plugs are $13 apiece (sorry, Sis').

...when the only riding lawn mower you really want is a $5200 Kubota with a tiny 2 cylinder diesel.
Couldn't help it....ROFLMAO!!
Keith

LWB053

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jetta, Dk Green

..when the only riding lawn mower you really want is a $5200 Kubota with a tiny 2 cylinder diesel.

"Yeah, can I get it with an 18" cutting deck? I have a small yard, but I LOVE the smell of diesel!"

diesel_fitter

You know you’re obsessed when you hear your office mates bragging about their "ideals" using numbers like 36-24-34 and you proudly jump out of your cubical and state you’re getting 48-38-42. Your buddies fall on the floor laughing and you realize they were not talking about mileage.

gredi

Veteran Member

You go to the airport and spend $3.00/gallon to fill up your Jetta w/ Jet fuel just cuz' you can. (and an 8 oz can of Marvel Mystery Oil)

DonCarroll

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon, 99 beetle(with 2002 motor)

You can never look at a fast food place again without wondering how much Fuel you can get, and you only go to the gas station for sodas and snacks

100 gal homemade B100 a week , my other car is a 99/F250 PS
or should I say my wifes truck , but as soon as I can find a used TDI NEWB she wants one, and she tells everyone that we run on BioDiesel

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

...you give that look to your passenger when he or she touches the AC button, because well, you know why.

...you downshift because the ECU actually cut the fuel when you do so.

...you see a VW without the TDI engine and just say:"wrong engine", even though there's nobody but you in the car.

...you talk to these A4 TDI owners that can't get more than 600 to 1000 miles out of a tank when your personal average is 1200 (B4 owners).

...everybody hates you on the Quebec forum because you say that the fastest you can go with the max fuel economy is 55 mph (90km/h), but even with a graph they don't believe you and tell you to never post under this subject again. (For those understanding french, go and read).

...you wonder what's wrong with my baby? Can't get pass the 1250 miles (2000km) per tank no more?

...you think that every gasser has to downshift when going uphill.

...you reconize the cars (gassers of course) who passed you previously and pass you again (up to 3 time)

...you slow down passing a Porsche Cayenne and tell him to read what's writting on the frame plate (Yes it's a diesel!).

...you wait just the right moment (at night) to downshift in 4th so the tailgater behind you gets "the smoke of his life"!

...you slow down the traffic at 55 mph (90 km/h) and think that you're doing them a favor since their vehicules will consume way less.

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red

Really funny

Rammstein said:

...everybody hates you on the Quebec forum because you say that the fastest you can go with the max fuel economy is 55 mph (90km/h), but even with a graph they don't believe you and tell you to never post under this subject again. (For those understanding french, go and read).
Now, I wish I could remember the French lessons that I took, this should be really funny and wild

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

You could use the babel thingy or internet translator.

I'll add another one:

...you follow another TDI owner that just waved you to ask him if he's from Fred's and if he's not give him a TDIclub buisness car that Fred himself gave you.

It happened when I was going up north and another guy in a B4 variant passed me and waved.

I followed him and gave him a card.

Told him about venting also. Here I go again:

...you ask every TDI owner if he or she vents and if they don't, you look like you have been insulted like never in your life and say: "oh my God, how can you live with yourself?"

...you check all the car fluids EVERY time you take it for a ride.

...you check all 5 tires (spare also) to make sure they are at the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall (44 psi on mine).

...you add air in them even if they are only missing one pound; it's impossible to drive otherwise.

Some people are more obscessed than others.

rifaco

TDI
2003 Golf GL TDI Indigo Blue

...You go through the drive-thru at Wendy's not because you're hungry, but because you want to be able to roll down the window and hear the sound of the engine bounce off the wall. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

Ramm'

You're one sick puppy. /images/graemlins/eek.gif You may be on the leading edge of this thing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-dr, Reflex Silver

[ QUOTE ]
tditone said:
... you use the drive-thru at Dunkin Donuts: not because it's faster and more convenient, but because there's a cool brick wall on the way out that gives you a perfect diesel-clatter reverb!

-Tone

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
rifaco said:
...You go through the drive-thru at Wendy's not because you're hungry, but because you want to be able to roll down the window and hear the sound of the engine bounce off the wall. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'm not alone... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Tone

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora

...when you start your car in the morning and leave the door open so that immediately after starting you run back and inhale that fresh little cloud of smoke /images/graemlins/wink.gif

...when you are filling up and while you pump your own diesel some other cars pull up and you wait till they come out of the car and then tell them- "Are you sure you want diesel? This is just diesel of this side of the gas station"--truck stop hee hee the look on their faces