What do you think?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
No stains that I saw. No sound either. Drove the whole way back from Escondido with the back popped up and its like it’s not even open!

Also the comment about colder starts that I made was not in regard to actual cold starts lol, it was just a comment that I have felt that cars like to have their fluids get a little bit of heat in them before they start driving. Simply put, just like when you get out of bed and it’s cold and your knees and back can be a little stiff until you stretch them out or they pop a bit or get blood flowing in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
This probably isn’t the place to ask this question, but what are wheel brands that you guys trust to be on the cheaper side, but still good quality. I am looking to eventually swap the wheels on this to something black, but I come from the truck world and know nothing about car wheel brands.

Stock tire/wheel size is 225/45/17 from what I can tell. Right before I bought the car, they put new tires on it. Some Nexen tire, I can get the model later. What is recommended for tires when I eventually need them for a good all season tire, and what rim brands/styles would you guys think are nice or that you think would look nice. Looking for a pretty much stock fit just black and clean look.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There are some pretty attractive, affordable wheels from Bremmer Kraft, Moda, and others at tire rack. They have a nice feature that allows you to see what a given wheel will look like on your car.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yes I was using that and it was nice. I normally shop at America’s tire personally. Vision I believe it was was nice in the truck world, sort of known for copying style with at least a decent product at an affordable price. I also believe I saw a set of KMC wheels for this thing that looked good. Anyone know the factory wheel offset by chance? Or since it’s a car most aftermarket wheels share the same offset?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really like the KMC685 5x112 18" black/machined 5 spokes. Most of the 5x112 17" rims are 45mm offset. 35mm looks better, imo. I like the tire to be flush with the bodywork.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not on my lowered mk6. That was with 17x8 et35 rims and 225r45 tires. They looked flush, but were in enough to not rub up top over bumps. I had a little bit of negative camber from lowering that probably helped too.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah no body work planned for this as far as wheels go. Will plan on keeping it factory tire size and wheel size so I can do those in stages and not worry about having to drop like 1500 on wheels and tires at the same time. Planning on being as bolt on and factoryish fitting for any parts on this thing. I emailed a local tint shop for a quote on tint, limo on all the back, front side windows to 30%. See what they say. Think I was quoted $220 or so on my truck but these things have an extra what like 2-4 windows compared to my truck lol?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
There are some black VW wheels on facebook for sale I think around $600 bucks.

Personally, I'd roll on what you have and if it really starts bugging you grab some of that plastidip I keep reading about. Lot of guys on the facebook groups do their wheels in it and its reversible.

I also get my tires at America's Tire but I wouldn't get my wheels there (not bad, just that I don't put aftermarket wheels on my VW's).

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah I had thought about that as an option as well. But I live down a dirt road the plastic dipped wheels attract dirt due to their rubberish finish. The vw wheels do look nice, but I knownthe aftermarket is going to be cheaper. And I would likely end up keeping the stock version wheels out on the property unless I am hurting for money. Could probably sell these for what I could buy the new black ones for now that I think about it lol. Also, 2 of them have some very slight curb rash. Not that it bugs me much but the black wheels in combo with the black tint will really make this look more cool.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Because so many TDIs have been sold back to VW, Craigslist is littered with wheels, both OE and aftermarket. I'd look there first.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some stockers for $200 that you could have painted/coated:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/326264081301034/

I can't find the black ones but I was looking at them. They have a red stripe around them as an accent mark. I was thinking about them for my black wagon but haven't followed up, yet. Join up and start digging for 5x112 wheels :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1826879974245968/

What I'm really looking for are some BBS wheels that will remind me of my classic BBS RS 001's and 003's that I finally let go after appropriate body and blood sacrifices :)

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I requested to join! At the least the wheels wouldn’t happen for probably like 6 months. Unless I get an itchy trigger finger and the manager I know at America’s Tire wants to cut me a deal lol.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
In terms of aftermarket wheels, I've only ever personally run BBS (and Alpina for BMW) but I have read that Work are also respected. I don't know anything beyond those and tend to stick with OE for my modern VWs.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah if I as just messing with money BBS is where I would go, but I promised myself this car was to be more economical than the last... so that means no BBS, just some wheels that are at most like $200 a piece new. New from Americas Tire is easiest... They deal with shipping, install and all.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because so many TDIs have been sold back to VW, Craigslist is littered with wheels , both OE and aftermarket. I'd look there first.
I had a bit of a dilemma when I sold my golf back- to keep the mint condition OE Porto wheels or my cooler but slightly worn aftermarket rims. I ended up keeping the cool wheels.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Those VW wheels I linked are $200 for all 4 and you could paint them dirt cheap or even get them powder coated for less than new wheels at America's Tire. There are knock-off BBS wheels in that group within your price range. There are even some genuine ones under $1K. I saw some gold ones that I think would pop with your white exterior. That's the direction I'd go, gold or some pop color...I've seen a white BMW and a white bug with pink wheels, for example ;) Lime green...hahaha...

The ones I'm looking at are around $2-3K...but I'm after a specific look :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The photos aren't very clear, but I don't see much, if any, rust on that car.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
The photos aren't very clear, but I don't see much, if any, rust on that car.
Correct as far as I can tell. One of the benefits of living in California, specifically So Cal. Next to no rust even on cars by the beach cities. This car seems to have come from money as it is from the Malibu area. At this point still loving the car!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Oops, posted that on the wrong thread. I would hope there's be no rust on a '15. Wouldn't expect that unless it was a Chrysler. :)