Computer/Tablet for VCDS

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wanted a small tablet or computer for VCDS to have in the car. I have looked at old tough books and used laptops and some windows tablets. Yesterday I found this for $99.99.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-10-1-tablet-32gb-with-keyboard-black/5855905.p?skuId=5855905

I bought the 10.1 inch and a sleeve to keep it in. Runs windows 10 and tested tonight with connecting to my car with VCDS with no issues. It has a USB port, USB C port, micro port and a card slot for up to 128gb SD Micro card for storage. I also bought a small inverter to keep in the car as well. This should serve me pretty well.

This is much cheaper and handier than my full size laptop I have been using up till now and will generally be kept in the car for traveling and VCDS use as needed.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The link says that it runs an Android operating system. Did you have to buy a Windows 10 license as well?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The link says that it runs an Android operating system. Did you have to buy a Windows 10 license as well?
I fixed my post and link and info. There were two a 10.1 and 11.6 inch. I bought the 10.1 and it is Windows 10. The 11.6 it seems is Android N. Having the small keyboard is nice as well. Easier than just the tablet and it helps protect the tablet and the USB port for VCDS is in the keyboard part.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Nice find, I may run by and check that out.

The old, old, old, laptop I am using for VCDS and that I leave in the garage
has power problems (takes many tries to power up), and the USB ports are flaky,
so it takes several reboots (and may tries to get it to power up), to talk to the
VCDS cable. Maybe now is the time to move on.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It was somewhat hard to find something with a standard USB port. Everything is shifting to newer technology. I have no idea if a conversion cable (USB A to USB C) would work properly. Kind of like the serial ports disappearing.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Picked up the tablet earlier today. The USB port on the keyboard works with
the VCDS cable USB connector. Downloaded the software, installed, ran the cable test and performed an auto scan and cleared the DTC's.

Works great, and is nice and light.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Funny that you can buy a computer for $100 and the case is 1/5 the cost...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

For something even funnier compare the prices for a 10.1" (or less) Windows tablet (or netbook) with a 12" similar model. You will see a big difference. This is because Microsoft has decided that Windows 10 is essentially free (no license fee) for computers with a screen size of 10.1" or less. This is probably the biggest reason why the Windows version has a 10.1" screen and the Android version has an 11" screen (it might even be just a wider bezel around the exact same LCD display).

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
After mine is done installing Windoze updates I’ll give it a try with VCDS. So far my observations are that it is faster than my ten year old Acer that I was perfectly happy with.

Funny that even though I work in IT, my computer at home is an old piece of junk. I guess it’s because I just don’t care, since I’m surrounded by super computers all day. The last thing I want is more computers after work.

Edit: So I tested it out and it works great with VCDS. Now I just need a USB-C to USB adapter so I don't have to have the keyboard attached. (The USB port is on the keyboard part)

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The adapter is what I was trying to get away from as not all of them work. I wanted a dedicated regular USB port.

I work designing computer chips. I gave up long ago trying to be on the cutting edge. I have little need for the latest and greatest. One it is expensive to stay on the cutting edge and I only need something that works adequately.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI

Well that is at BEST BUY, you could probably get that on eBay for $ 5.00 shipped to you. It just may take a bit of time, not an instant have it now!

I had done the same thing some time ago using a 10.1" netbook. It is totally dedicated to the VCDS use, NOTHING else.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had done the same thing some time ago using a 10.1" netbook. It is totally dedicated to the VCDS use, NOTHING else.
This is exactly what I have done for years.
I was actually tempted to replace that old netbook (single core Intel Atom) with this computer/tablet until I noticed that the OP said that the full size USB connector was in the keyboard part. If it had been in the tablet part (for use without a keyboard), I would have purchased this $99 deal. My old netbook takes a while to boot, but once it is running it has more than enough power to run VCDS. If I would have to lug around the keyboard part too, I might as well stick with what I have.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
IIRC RT says not to use with a single core processor any more. So tried to stay with their current requirements.

"We recommend a PC running Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 with at least 2GB of RAM (single-core Atom�-class processors are no longer recommended). Screen resolution of at least 800x600 is recommended."

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.php#1.4

Just tried the link again and they have raised the price to $180 now.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found a cheap USB-C to USB adapter so I can plug my VCDS cable directly into the screen without the keyboard and it works fine.

However, I actually think I'll more often just keep the keyboard attached. Windows 10 tablet mode apparently just makes it so the computer can't do anything. It becomes extremely difficult to use. Maybe I'm missing something? I'll have to watch a tutorial on tablet mode to see if it really is terrible, or if it's just me.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just picked up a quad core Atom powered Dell Venue Pro 10" from Newegg for $120, for exactly this purpose.

Install VCDS and Malone's tuning software on this tablet, and finally remove Windows from my main laptop entirely.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I just picked up a quad core Atom powered Dell Venue Pro 10" from Newegg for $120, for exactly this purpose.

Install VCDS and Malone's tuning software on this tablet, and finally remove Windows from my main laptop entirely.
Now that's what I call an upgrade!

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad I got in on the sale price!

I'm quite happy with it, for $99. I've figured out how to use Windows 10 tablet mode, and for the first time noticed something in VCDS. You can change the window size! I adjusted it to fit the 10.1 inch screen fully, and now it's just great to use on a touch-screen.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IIRC RT says not to use with a single core processor any more. So tried to stay with their current requirements.

"We recommend a PC running Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 with at least 2GB of RAM (single-core Atom�-class processors are no longer recommended). Screen resolution of at least 800x600 is recommended."

In my experience the single core Atom CPU is enough for VCDS and legacy interfaces (like HEX+CAN or KII-USB). I have also used it with VCDS and a new HEX-NET interface successfully. The only issue I have seen is doing updates to the newer interfaces (HEX-V2 or HEX-NET). For this a faster CPU seems to be necessary. Therefore, I started looking for a better VCDS computer to replace my old single core Acer Aspire One Netbook

Anyway, I have found a cheap Windows tablet that I like even better than the one the OP found. An RCA Cambio 10.1' "convertible" tablet can be had new for between $90 - $110 depending on where you buy it. It has a quad core Intel Atom w/ 2GB of RAM. It also has a detachable keyboard (not bluetooth) but the best feature for VCDS is that it has a full size USB2 connector on the tablet (not in the keyboard part). The only significant downside to this computer is that it only has a 32GB SSD that is not upgradable. However, it will take a Micro SD card up to 128GB for additional storage.

Have Fun!

Don

BuickGS/BuickTurboT

TDI
'01 TDI 5 Spd., Black w/Leather (sold), all options, '01 Red TDI Golf, Audi TT wheels, 1996 Passat TDI
I wanted a small tablet or computer for VCDS to have in the car. I have looked at old tough books and used laptops and some windows tablets. Yesterday I found this for $99.99.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-10-1-tablet-32gb-with-keyboard-black/5855905.p?skuId=5855905

I bought the 10.1 inch and a sleeve to keep it in. Runs windows 10 and tested tonight with connecting to my car with VCDS with no issues. It has a USB port, USB C port, micro port and a card slot for up to 128gb SD Micro card for storage. I also bought a small inverter to keep in the car as well. This should serve me pretty well.

This is much cheaper and handier than my full size laptop I have been using up till now and will generally be kept in the car for traveling and VCDS use as needed.
Reviving an old thread...Same question but March 2023...we're an all Apple house now...can someone advise a good bang for the buck notebook or tablet "strictly" to run a legal version of VAG.COM. I'm trying to revive a couple of nice TDI's at the back of my garage to prep to sell them. Thanks much, G

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
Good suggestion Lightflyer1. Adding to this:
  • VCDS runs on Windows, not the Chromebooks.
  • If Windows in in S Mode, that will have to be disabled to install VCDS.
  • While VCDS should run on XP... don't. At some point an old computer is just too old.
Cue the "XP works fine for me" comments. :p

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
XP was the last Windows OS I really used. The ones afterward weren't nearly as good/stable, and we all switched over to Macs.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Reviving an old thread...Same question but March 2023...we're an all Apple house now...can someone advise a good bang for the buck notebook or tablet "strictly" to run a legal version of VAG.COM. I'm trying to revive a couple of nice TDI's at the back of my garage to prep to sell them. Thanks much, G
I've been an all-Mac-all-the-time household for at least a decades, and running VCDS within Windows on the Macs that whole time.

Intel Macs:
Pretty easy with Parallels or VMware Fusion. These allow you to run a Windows Virtual Machine (VM) right within the macOS. COMMAND-TAB from Safari to VCDS to Messages to WhatsApp or whatever / however.
Fusion is my preference because they're more enterprise-focused and Fusion is more consumer-grade stuff, so they don't assault you with upsell every week (which Parallels does).

You can also Bootcamp the MacBook so that it basically is running Windows natively. Hold down OPTION when you turn on the computer, and you get a choice of booting into Windows or Mac. Setup is pretty straightforward and there are plenty of step-by-step how-tos on website and youtube.

And Intel MacBooks are going for pretty decent prices these days (I have a 2013 11" MacBook Air that's boot-camped and also has VMs - it's looking for a new home 😉).

Apple Silicon:
Ross-tech, getting way out front of the curve developed an ARM version of VCDS, so that takes care of that.
And Parallels and Fusion both offer a way to get Windows-ARM running inside a VM a Mac; when I did it a couple years ago, it wasn't exactly a three-click operation like it is in the Intel Macs, but from what I understand, it's a little more straightforward now. Parallels seems to work better last I looked; they're still annoying AF with their incessant marketing every time I launch the app, but it does work fairly well.